Corsair Community

Installing RM750X the right way?

TheTiesThatBind

Hello there,

I just bought a RM750X PSU and I came across a YT video review claiming that this specific PSU should be installed with the fan upside and only that way! The reason behind this as they claim is because of the semi-passive mode where the fan won’t spin under light to mid load. They say that if the psu is installed with the fan facing down the hot air will get trapped at the psu internals. The fan will eventually start spinning at some point removing the hot air but there will be an unnecessary stress put on psu because the fan will start spinning at a specific temperature.

Is this true? Do I actually have to place the psu with the fan facing upside? Well my case has a shroud which is mesh (NZXT H700)

Looking forward to an official response over this one!

Kind regards

Hello there,

I just bought a RM750X PSU and I came across a YT video review claiming that this specific PSU should be installed with the fan upside and only that way! The reason behind this as they claim is because of the semi-passive mode where the fan won’t spin under light to mid load. They say that if the psu is installed with the fan facing down the hot air will get trapped at the psu internals. The fan will eventually start spinning at some point removing the hot air but there will be an unnecessary stress put on psu because the fan will start spinning at a specific temperature.

Is this true? Do I actually have to place the psu with the fan facing upside? Well my case has a shroud which is mesh (NZXT H700)

Looking forward to an official response over this one!

Kind regards

I use the same exact PSU and the fan is pulling fresh air from the bottom of the case.

I assume that's the optimal way to use it or else its pulling air directly from inside of the case which is hot air and that doesn't sound good solution to me.

Just think about it

Gpu is on top of your Psu its pulling Air from the bottom, if your Psu is pulling the air from the inside of the case you're kinda ruinning the airflow of your GPU aswell that way.

The PSU should be installed in such a way that the fan has access to cool air. I'm not sure the context of the YT review but if the fan is blocked off, that's a bad thing, And some cases would block off the PSU if it's not "upside down".

But this holds tru for any PSU ... semi-passive or not.

The PSU should be installed in such a way that the fan has access to cool air. I'm not sure the context of the YT review but if the fan is blocked off, that's a bad thing, And some cases would block off the PSU if it's not "upside down".

But this holds tru for any PSU ... semi-passive or not.

Thanks Dev! That's how I installed it anyway. Got one more question, hopefully you can answer it for me. Is it better to use two independent PCI-e cables instead of one? I mean those that RM750x ships with both end to x2 6+2 PCIe connectors. Shall I use just one and plug both on my GPU or is it better to use both PCI-e cables and connect my GPU?

I use the EVGA GeForce 1080 FTW2 which requires 2 8pin connectors either way.

Kind regards

Alright thanks, I guess I'm gonna remove the second one then

That actually depends on what GPU you are using.

I myself am using 2x seperate 8 pins for my RTX 2080 Ti.

If its just a GTX 1060 or an RTX 2060 you'll be fine with just 1.

It's not *safe* to use a single cable for any component that is using more than 200 watts itself.

If you want more details about this check this post out.

Archived