Corsair Community

i7 9700k with previous Skylake DDR4 Ram 2666Mhz

MrHamm

Good afternoon guys.

I just recently just upgraded my GPU, CPU, and MOBO and i kept everything else.

I had a i5 6600K which was OC'd to 4.7 Mhz.

The ram in that was CMD16GX4M2A2666C15 (Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2666Mhz C15.

New Mobo: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra

New CPU: Intel i7 9700k

I have already OC'd it to 5.1 Mhz at 1.320v stable. I seem to be doing fine in everything i do.

The question: Does the ram I have hinder anything performance wise? I know that 2666 is compatible with the motherboard. Would it be worth any real gains if I was to upgrade to 3200+.

I play at 3440x1440 and I really only game with it. Work i just use my laptop.

I've tried searching and i'm getting a mixed bag of results.

If the ram was somehow bottle necking the CPU/GPU or system in anyway i would go for it and sell my current sticks.

Any recommendations or help or reassurance that my current "aged" ram is good enough would be fantastic.

**the rest of my system specs are in my signature that I just updated**

Thanks in advance for reading and helping.

I don't think you will see much gain. I spent a long time flipping back and forth between 2666 and 3200 on a X99 system. Nothing but pride at stake there. After moving that RAM kit up to this Z370 platform, I don't see differences between 3200, 3466, and 3733 either. In fact, 3733 is typically worse for play since I have to loosen the timings to some degree and no gain in benchmarks over 3466. I have been on 3440x1440 for a few years now.

Given the current RAM prices, I would sit tight until you feel you need to move up to 32 GB total or a shiny new product catches your attention. If you are feeling like you want to do some tweaking, my guess is that 2x8 kit will tighten down to 2666 C13 and that may be satisfying enough for now.

Archived