The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 AM
Wombat
GaspodeX's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994322
GaspodeX Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgooden View Post
Anytime. Yea, I ordered two extra 140s to put in. Now they sit in a drawer. Put back the 120s.
At the back?

I got 2x140s into the back of mine .. at least I think I did .. I'll check and take a pic when I get home.

G.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994491
Zotty Reputation: 52

well look at that!!!

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Catego...r/p/CC-8900303

Old 02-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Valravn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994776
Valravn Reputation: 10

Hey, I've been silently following your build for quite a while - great job by the way (until you set everything to "Rainbow", then it turns into an over-the-top madness, lel).

Now that I've bought 3-pack ML120s and going to order 3 more, I felt the urge to reveal myself, create an account and ask you guys this... since for some reason I believe you'll have the answer.

So... Let me tell the story first :) I bought MLs to replace my 3 EK Vardar 2200ERs attached to a triple radiator on top. Two of them Vardars have turned into unpredictable screech generators in just a year and a half. The reason I say "unpredictable" is that sometimes they are whisper-quiet, and 5 minutes later they can rev like a buzzsaw, and it doesn't really depend on RPM.

I've googled for a little and found somewhat confirmation to my initial guess which is this: my former fans were attached to the top rad and oriented "upside-down" (i.e. were pushing the air through the rad and exhausting it outside). This "upside-down" alignment applies extra stress to the bearing which may come loose with time (one of the faulty fans' blades indeed goes up and down if I gently push it with a finger).

So - sorry for the long intro - I'm really curious, how are Magnetic Levitation fans dealing with that "head-over-heels" orientation? Since I've already bought them, I'm prepared to hear the truth whatever it is :)

Or is the orientation irrelevant and the fact my Vardars sound like a flat tire means only EK's quality control is not the best? :)

(I know I could rotate top fans and turn them into intakes so that they pull the air through the rad into the case, but first, I can see ML LEDs uncovered by blades if I do that, and secondly, I'm keeping the top of my Evolv case half-open for a better airflow, and there's no dust filter there. So three intake fans there could turn my rad into a thick bar of dust in a few months lol)

Old 02-18-2019, 07:18 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994778
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valravn View Post
Hey, I've been silently following your build for quite a while - great job by the way (until you set everything to "Rainbow", then it turns into an over-the-top madness, lel).

Now that I've bought 3-pack ML120s and going to order 3 more, I felt the urge to reveal myself, create an account and ask you guys this... since for some reason I believe you'll have the answer.

So... Let me tell the story first :) I bought MLs to replace my 3 EK Vardar 2200ERs attached to a triple radiator on top. Two of them Vardars have turned into unpredictable screech generators in just a year and a half. The reason I say "unpredictable" is that sometimes they are whisper-quiet, and 5 minutes later they can rev like a buzzsaw, and it doesn't really depend on RPM.

I've googled for a little and found somewhat confirmation to my initial guess which is this: my former fans were attached to the top rad and oriented "upside-down" (i.e. were pushing the air through the rad and exhausting it outside). This "upside-down" alignment applies extra stress to the bearing which may come loose with time (one of the faulty fans' blades indeed goes up and down if I gently push it with a finger).

So - sorry for the long intro - I'm really curious, how are Magnetic Levitation fans dealing with that "head-over-heels" orientation? Since I've already bought them, I'm prepared to hear the truth whatever it is :)

Or is the orientation irrelevant and the fact my Vardars sound like a flat tire means only EK's quality control is not the best? :)

(I know I could rotate top fans and turn them into intakes so that they pull the air through the rad into the case, but first, I can see ML LEDs uncovered by blades if I do that, and secondly, I'm keeping the top of my Evolv case half-open for a better airflow, and there's no dust filter there. So three intake fans there could turn my rad into a thick bar of dust in a few months lol)
I can't speak to the Vardars; never had 'em. But I can speak to the MLs - they are everything that they claim to be, regardless of orientation. I have them - currently - in various machines in all kinds of orientations - and they are super-quiet. If Corsair had LL-style MLs, I'd replace every single fan I have. But ... just gotta have the RGBz.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:32 PM
Valravn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994792

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
I can't speak to the Vardars; never had 'em. But I can speak to the MLs - they are everything that they claim to be, regardless of orientation. I have them - currently - in various machines in all kinds of orientations - and they are super-quiet. If Corsair had LL-style MLs, I'd replace every single fan I have. But ... just gotta have the RGBz.
I'm interested in one specific layout - upside down :) How long have you been rocking MLs in this one?

Yep, I know they are super quiet, tested them outside of the case already, and to be honest that's pretty much to be expected given the price and the fact they are only 1600 RPM.

I'm only considered about bearing degradation. I've been using all sorts of fans on top - 2 generation of Silent Wings, various Noctuas, Corsair SPs, but everytime they were facing up, acting as intake. The 1st time I try exhaust upside down - and that thingy happens :)

So that made me wondering if, one - this is indeed a bearing-unfriendly orientation and two, how are magnetic levitation ones doing as they are something completely new for me, I was afraid they are kinda delicate cuz "magnetic levitation" sounds pretty scientific

BTW thanks for your DIY extenders video, very helpful!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994807
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Like I said ... I have them in every orientation. And I've had MLs since shortly after they were released - before all of the RGB. I have ... uhhh ... at least a dozen of them running in different systems. I have the "Classic", ML-RGB and the ML-RGB "Platinum".
The only caveat is that these fans do absolutely require the full 12V at all times. Some PWM fans can also be controlled with DC control - these cannot. If you don't provide the full 12V, the levitation won't work properly.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Valravn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994856

okay, thanks! Sorry, I did not understand your first reply was an answer, seemed a bit like a seller's "its great no matter what, just buy it" :)

As for that "full 12V line", I've noticed Zotty was using Y-splitters to power up that huge number of fans. Since you state that the magnetic levitation feature depends on the voltage, are there any specific recommendations that apply to ML fans in terms of splitters? Something like "no more than 3 fans for each standard (non-HPWR) header"?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:59 AM
danoz0r's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994875
danoz0r Reputation: 10

Question to all of you guys. Do you guys experience rgb sync issues? f.ex suddenly rgb strips stay one color while rest works? For me, a restart fixes it, but still annoying. Thinking it could just be iCUE software issue

Old 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994907

Most likely software dude... are you running any other RGB software?.. but best bet is to ask in the iCUE section :)

Old 02-20-2019, 04:17 PM
danoz0r's PC Specs

POST ID # = 995019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotty View Post
Most likely software dude... are you running any other RGB software?.. but best bet is to ask in the iCUE section :)
I'm using the same diagram as you. That's why I thought I should ask here first:) Yes, I am using Asus Aura to for motherboard and graphics cards.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 AM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 995079

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoz0r View Post
I'm using the same diagram as you. That's why I thought I should ask here first:) .
Good call bud.. but it's not down to hardware i feel.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:47 AM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996336

Been Playing RGBZ.....

i used LED Strip Mounting Profile that also has defused cover.

for uk guys its available below

https://mkshop.co.uk/1-metre-black-a...-strip-lights/

Old 03-04-2019, 08:43 AM
danoz0r's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotty View Post
Been Playing RGBZ.....

for uk guys its available below

https://mkshop.co.uk/1-metre-black-a...-strip-lights/

Whoooah.. this would have saved me from spray painting :)

Looks awesome tho ^^

Old 03-04-2019, 10:15 AM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 996351

i have a few more meters of it to go lol... 570x under glow here we come :)

Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 AM

POST ID # = 997225
greed13 Reputation: 10

Hey Zotty,
So my friend built a 1000D and we followed your guide which was a precious help to us, but he experienced higher temperatures when swapping from his previous case to the 1000D, we have all 13 fans, I took care of the thermal paste, so I know this is not the problem, but I think it comes from the fan orientation, can you tell me in which directions the fans must be for an optimal result ?