Corsair Community

H45 Fast RPM

Krazeur

Hey guys,

I'm hoping that you can help me. I've recently just installed a H45 to my Asus Pro Gaming Aura and I think I've might of installed it wrong. I'm getting high RPM on the fan which is quite loud. So I thought I'd get a second opinion.

I plugged in the 4pin into the where it says "Water Pump" and the 3pin in the "CPU FAN".

According to SpeedFan; Fan 1: 4116 RPM and Fan 2: 2273 RPM

If you need any other info just let me know!

Switch the two plugs. The 4 pin PWM plug is for fan control. The 3 pin plug is for the DC motor pump. In your BIOS, Water Pump or W_PUMP is a 100% max speed header, perfect for... the water pump that needs to run at 12v/100% all the time. Put the 4 pin fan on CPU fan and control is through BIOS like normal. Keep in mind you don't really need the fan to be super-reactive for this type of cooler. Moderate 700-800 rpm speed should be enough for the desktop. 1500 rpm is about my limit for 120mm fan. Set it just out of reach for your normal temperatures. Make sure you use the "fan delays" for CPU fan. You may need to dive into the Advanced BIOS (F7) - > Monitor tab -> scroll down until you find Qfan. Those text options are the same as the visual representation on the EZ BIOS front page, but there are also spin up/down delay controls. +12 seconds is perfect. (*You are likely limited to 8 sec maximum on CPU fan. That will do.) Edited by c-attack

Thank you!

I swapped those connectors around and noticed the difference instantly. I did have a look to see if I could find that the pump is recieving the 12v but couldn't really find it. But it did say that it's running at 4000+ so I'm guessing it is getting what it needs. I'm going to have a look into the BIOS now to set those fan delays and lower the fan speed rpms.

I'll keep you guys in the loop, (see my pun there, haha) thanks again!

EDIT:

So in my bios I found CPU QFan. But not the options you mentioned.

https://i.imgur.com/zIRdEyT.jpg. That's what I found and when I change Silent to Manual it displays this: https://i.imgur.com/RSINYiP.jpg

Edited by Krazeur

Yes, i can see the water pump is “disabled” and that also sets it to 100% and locks the controls. That is what you want.

It appears you don’t have any fan delay settings on that board. I am surprised and thought this had trickled down to all models. The BIOS itself is a little different as well in appearance. You can run whatever CPU fan profile you feel is appropriate. (Probably a manual setting of your choice). Since there are no delays, it is likely easier to change this in the standard EZ Bios Q-Fan with the graphs.

Incidentally, your chassis (CHA) headers are also disabled. This will cause and case fans on the CHA 1,2 headers to run at 100%. Likely not what you want.

Thanks for your speedy response!

Yeah, it's a pretty unusual layout for the BIOS but it seems okay. I'm glad the pump is okay. I was a bit worried. I think that the chassis are disable because the fans are plugged into a controller of the actual case. ( It's the Corsair 780T An absolutely beautiful case with more than ample storage! )

• 1 year later...

I have been running the fans in the wrong jacks for a long looong time!.. I only noticed it today cause CPU hit 80C and the alarm noise was up while fan was sitting at its puny 20% power.

Only then I noticed I had it plugged wrong; how was sys_fan2 to scale to cpu temp? lol.

But the missing bit was then, where should I plug the pump? And this thread confirmed it. As I ran gigabyte's "smart fan" bit of its "SIV" tool (system information viewer), where it "calibrates" the fans, showing rpm by workload%, I found the pump's speed informed RPM ranged about 4300RPM no matter what the workload was. I.e.:

The calibration gave a reading of 4299 RPM in 0, 10, 30, 50, 60, 70 and 90% workload settings, and 4327RPM at the remaining 20%, 40%, 80% and 100%. This means the reading the pump sends is "faked" to just indicate the pump is operational or not, no matter how the workload is input to the power jack.

Now shutting down the system to invert the plugs -- and set full speed to the connector I place the pump in. :)

I have set up alarms for stopped fans and overburdened CPUs but they never really sounded unless in extreme cases like

EDIT: in the past I didn't have issues with overheating (mostly) because I had another 12" fan in front of the radiator (so, the original fan in one side, and another fan at the other side of the radiator), and the air pull was enough for most situations. I always thought the pump picked up the pace according to workload (PWM) applied to its jack. Even if it that's the case, it seems it is not projected to that, as corsair "masks" the RPM reading to pretend it is always at maximum.

Manually changing PWM/workload to the pump did not alter noise levels.

Edited by avengerx
add info about why I didn't notice this before