Corsair Community

Corsair RM 650x Bang&Spark when switching on

Mondstaub

Hello,

This morning when I wanted to start my PC and wanted to turn on the power supply, a RM 650x, there was a bang and spark in the power supply, right where the cable is plugged. The fuse of the electricity in my flat sprung out too.

The power adapter is 2 years old.

I've removed the power supply and connected it alone and found that the fan is no longer running, but it has not popped, when switching it on. As for the rest of the hardware in the PC, I do not know, because I did not want to take the risk to connect the power again to the PC.

I therefore assumed that the PSU is broken and i have ordered a new one, also a RM 650x.

I don't have an awful lot in my PC, an EVAGA GTX 950, a CPU water cooler, a Corsair, two Samsung SSDs and the MOBO with a Skylake 6500K CPU. In addition, I have two active speakers each have 200W, two monitors and an audio interface, which also does not need much.

Has anyone had the same experience, is that normal with a 2 year old PSU? Is it better to only shut down the PC & keep the PSU constantly on, so it draws not so much current to blow out the fuse?

Thank you for your reply mint!

I did post a ticket yesterday.

I did read here somewhere that it could be because the condenser emptied themselves out after two days of the PSU being switched off. When switiching it back on when they're empty they draw too much current apparently, which could have triggered the fuse.

Hence i thought that it might be a option to never switch the PSU off and only the PC.

Ok, so with the new one i will keep it switched on.

Tomorrow i have a free day and i might want to open the PSU and take a look at it.

Anything i should look at in particular that might give me any hint at what was the cause or which parts to look at that could be damaged?

Thank you for the reply & info Jeff!

I saw that there is a seal, but i thought that the warranty expires after 2 years.

My PSU was purchased in mid September of 2016.

I'm in no hurry, so i might wait and hear what their response is to the ticket i filed.

That's good on Corsair, to give a 5 year warranty or even 10 years wih other PSU's like Asi series.

The 5 years is actually longer then what i planned to use the PC i built.

We'll see what they say. Until now i did not get a response to my ticket i filed.

They stated that they had a change/update in their support system and responses may take longer then usual.

Archived