Corsair Community

Haswell compatibility with Corsair power supplies

jonnyguru

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

We've successfully tested it with some Haswell motherboards, but we haven't qualified it as per Intel's testing parameters.

If one was to have a problem with a CX500M coming in and out of sleep mode, you can always disable C7 sleep state in the BIOS.

• Administrators
hi could someone tell me if my HX 850 is compatible its 3 yrs old now and i know its on the list but is that a revised edition ??

This is stated on the blog post. It is referring to the HX850 80 Plus Silver and Gold certified PSUs.

CMPSU-850HX = HX850 80 Plus Silver Certified

CP-9020032-NA = HX850 80 Plus Gold Certified

• 1 month later...

Any chance of getting an updated blog post ?

There are quite a few that are listed as

"Likely compatible — currently validating"

Personally im very curious about the HX650 from the "HX (Legacy Bronze and below)" section :)

• Corsair Employee

Quite frankly, ANY power supply will work with a Haswell CPU. A Haswell motherboard's VRM doesn't get power from a power supply's +12V any differently than any other modern day motherboard. The problem comes from Haswell's sleep mode. The power state is so low that the PSU may not be able to know if the PC is even on.

Fortunately, this power state can be disabled in the BIOS, so there's no reason an HX650 or any other PSU won't work.

• 1 month later...

So is it safe to say that the PSUs that haven't been deemed compatible yet... aren't compatible?

I mean how long does it take to grab a CX430M off your shelf and test sleep with Haswell?

This sucks - I need a lower wattage, affordable, modular PSU for my HTPC. I think I'm going to have to get a Seasonic, when I'd really like a CX430M.

• Corsair Employee
So is it safe to say that the PSUs that haven't been deemed compatible yet... aren't compatible?

I mean how long does it take to grab a CX430M off your shelf and test sleep with Haswell?

This sucks - I need a lower wattage, affordable, modular PSU for my HTPC. I think I'm going to have to get a Seasonic, when I'd really like a CX430M.

It's really not that simple. In fact, we did "grab a CX430M off the shelf" and tested it and it worked in a number of different Haswell builds. But if it doesn't pass Intel's artificial testing (performed on a load tester), we can't say that the PSU will work in 100% of the possible hardware combinations that are out there.

Unfortunately, there are a number of manufacturers out there that are saying "Haswell Compatible" only because they tested the PSU on some sample machines and they worked, despite the fact that they still don't pass Intel's testing methodology. Corsair is a little bit more responsible than that.

Like I said before in this thread, if you use one of the "undetermined" PSUs and have problems with the PC coming out of sleep mode, you can simply disable the C7 sleep state in the BIOS (which is probably disabled by default in the first place). If you feel that's not an option, I suggest the new RM450 power supply. It's Gold, as opposed to Bronze, it's fully modular, as opposed to semi-modular, and has a fanless mode up to 40% load so it's extremely quiet under most uses.

• 2 months later...

Hi! I just checked the blog post about Haswell and Corsair PSU compatibility and I have some questions:

I have a HX620 Modular PSU from Corsair, using it in my new Haswell config (ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 and i5-3570K). Been using it for 3 months without troubles, but last week I had 2 "suddenly turned-off" situations with that PSU. Gone alive again after unplugging it and waiting few minutes. Is it due to the probably incompatibilities between PSU and Haswell? I was not doing anything so special (just playing steam games), no overclock.

My current HX 620 is marked as "Likely compatible" PSU with Haswell but apparently some "sudden turn off" situations may ocurr. Can you confirm it happens due to that incompatibility, or may be any other cause?

I also have and old PC with an HX650 Modular PSU from Corsair. Will it be perfectly compatible with my Haswell system? Checking the blog post, I see two different HX650:

HX 650 (Silver, Gold and HX1000): 100% Compatible with Haswell CPUs

HX 650 (Legacy Bronze and below): Likely compatible — currently validating

How can I know which one is mine? I have no original cases or documentation.

Has Corsair finally validated if Bronze and below HX's are compatible with Haswell or not?

Thank you

• Corsair Employee

Your issue would be related to having the Haswell CPU if it wouldn't turn on after going to sleep or if it shut down immediately after coming out of sleep and you would be able to remedy the problem by turning the C6/C7 sleep states in the BIOS.

So what were you doing, or what was the computer doing, when it "suddenly turned off"?

Your issue would be related to having the Haswell CPU if it wouldn't turn on after going to sleep or if it shut down immediately after coming out of sleep and you would be able to remedy the problem by turning the C6/C7 sleep states in the BIOS.

So what were you doing, or what was the computer doing, when it "suddenly turned off"?

Hi. The first time it happened I was playing a game. The second time I was doing normal browsing stuff, firefox etcetera. So I doubt I had problems with the sleep states. Anyway, where do I have to check in my BIOS settings to turn off the C6/C7 option? Didn't see that option.

Some images of my bios (ASRock UEFI) just in case you can see where can I find that option:

https://www.google.com/search?q=asrock+z77+extreme4+bios&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=TkT&rls=org.mozilla:ca:official&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JvKkUsa3JIuS7Abcp4CICA&sqi=2&ved=0CEkQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=945

• Corsair Employee

The ability to disable the C6/C7 state should be in the power management section of your BIOS.

But your problem is not Haswell sleep state related because your computer wasn't asleep or going in or out of sleep.

If you think your power supply has an issue that's causing these shut downs, I suggest starting a new thread. But since it's not Haswell related (except for the fact that you happen to have a Haswell CPU), we shouldn't be discussing it here.

• Corsair Employee
The Haswell Compatibility List doesn't seem to have been updated for a while.

Is the CX5000M PSU 100% Compatible with Haswell CPUs, and for that matter, are any of the low wattage PSU's?

It has been updated recently. That's why it includes RM and CS-M. ;)

The units that are listed as "100% compatible" are stated as such because they all pass the testing for Haswell laid out in the latest Intel PSU design guide. The one's that are listed as "likely" do not pass the synthetic tests in the DG. This is why those units have not been updated.

Internally, we cannot always duplicate the results of the synthetic tests with real world PC's. And even if we can, we can eliminate problems by disabling the C7 sleep state in the BIOS. But, to be "fair" to Intel and compliant with their PSU-DG, we can't make a blanked "it'll work" statement if a unit does not pass the synthetic tests.

Is the CX500 "100% Haswell Compatible"? According to the Intel PSU-DG: "No." Will it work with a Haswell based PC? Likely, yes. Are there low wattage units that are 100% Haswell compatible? Yes. The CS-M Series.

I meant updated with Haswell information. The list was posted 9 May '13 and hasn't been updated since then as far as I could tell.

The term "Likely compatible — currently validating" gives the impression that testing is still happening. Hence my perfectly natural question.

If the issue is finalised, as your repsonse suggests, the better terminology to use on the list would be, "Likely compatible but doesn't pass synthetic tests in Intel DG. Solution: disable C7".

Anyway, the relevant question is which PSU to get for a performance HTPC (as below) where sleep (preferably as intended) will be a very important function.

i5-4570

H87M

2x4GB 1600

Intel SSD

2 x 3TB Seagate 7200rpm

... and possibly a GT640 or a HD7750 (depending on how the Intel HD4600 picture quality looks)

Would the CX5000M be appropriate or the CX430 v3 or would I be better off getting an RM450?

Thanks

The CS450M is not available in Australia. Also, even though it's moot, it doesn't seem to have had many reviews on Newegg.

Over here, the Corsair options are basically the VS, CXv3, GSv2, TX, HX, RM & AX.

So firstly, do you think 430W or 500W is about the right wattage for that system and secondly, would the CX5000M be appropriate or the CX430 v3 or would I be better off getting an RM450?

• Corsair Employee
The CS450M is not available in Australia. Also, even though it's moot, it doesn't seem to have had many reviews on Newegg.

That's because the CS-M was just released a couple weeks ago. It should be at Altech soon. In fact, I'm surprised it's not there now.

But you have a pretty low wattage system there, so even a CX430 should work.

Altech don't have it listed yet and the one user review on Newegg was pretty average - but more importantly, I need this PSU now.

I prefer to err on the side of having more than ample power rather than being "just right".

So do you think 430W or 500W is better for that system and secondly, would the CX5000M be appropriate or the CX430 v3 or would I be better off getting an RM450?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question I've already asked and nobody answered:

How do you know if your HX-650W Corsair PSU is bronze, silver or gold version? I am currently looking at one but I don't know how to check its version. Is there any way to know if it's bronze, silver or gold?

The code model is CMPSU-650HX, but I googlling that I found bronze, silver and gold HX650W Corsair PSU's with that model number, so how can I know which one is that particular PSU?

Thanks

Archived