Corsair Community

New Logo Honest Opinion

OBSIDIANxCoyote

Over the past few days there has been what could easily be described as a minor uproar over the new "Corsair Gaming" logo. There have been some people defending the logo, some people saying they don't care, and a very vocal group saying how much they hate it. I'd just like to weigh in with my honest opinion and something that could be considered more constructive criticism than blind hatred.

I can understand the defense on Corsair's part, especially because I'm sure this sort of backlash was not expected. I also understand that for many reasons, financial otherwise, something like axing this whole new division or changing the logos and design on all of the new devices right off the bat is just not wise.

HOWEVER. None of this changes the fact that there is unrest among what can be considered Corsairs real fans. People that are loyal to the company and have been for years because of their love of the design Corsair brings to market across all of their products. One thing I love about the Corsair design philosophy I've seen in past years was the fact that it works for all situations. Whether you are at your desk at work or at the largest LAN party in the Western hemisphere.. Corsair products looked right at home.

I'm glad to see that the response has been changing from what could be seen as denial, to being more accepting of the negative feedback. Problem is as of right now unless you were only planning on picking up a Cherry MX Red K70 you're still not in luck. Personally I dislike the new logo. I feel as though it takes an otherwise very tasteful and professional looking keyboard and manages to make it somehow very tacky. Although I love the Corsair sails I am not against using another symbol for a more "Gaming Centric" product line... It's just that I would prefer that product line be seperated from the other corsair peripheral lines so that people like me could have their more professional looking keyboards, mice, etc... (which is what we have been expecting this entire time[would have been nice to debut the new logo when the keyboard was fresh on the scene and not right when we finally get it]) and people who want something more showy and "Gamer Designed" could have that as an option also.

As for this whole "Logo looks like a tramp stamp" argument I'm seeing everywhere... I can't say that it's wrong. Having crossed swords as a logo on gaming peripherals could look pretty cool, problem is the new logo doesn't look like crossed swords. It really doesn't. And sure a color change can freshen things up sometimes, but of all colors why yellow? A large number of people buying RGB peripherals buy them because they wan't a specific color scheme across their setup, adding yellow (not a subtle color) to these devices that are in many ways like a blank canvas is sort of like selling someone a canvas to paint on, except it's already partially painted on.

I'm not expecting change to come quickly if at all, but I'm hoping it does at some point in the future. I'm sure that if "Corsair Gaming" really does stick around as a brand, it will have to go through several iterations before enthusiasts, Corsair lovers, gamers, and just casual users can all agree it's something we can get fully on board with.

For now I guess the best thing is to wait and see what happens. I've seen plenty about how the people voicing their disapproval is only a small minority of gamers but what's more important is specifically what amount of people that wan't these peripherals like or dislike the new aesthetic. I'd like to see more of people speaking up in a calm and civilized way from both sides. And remember, a vocal minority is always more heard than a silent majority

I agree with you, If the logo did look like crossed swords and even was yellow I don't think anyone would mind at all because it would still be close to the corsair theme i.e piratey.

But the fact is this logo just looks like it was lazily done in a 5 minute sitting by the new intern at Corsair.

Over the past few days there has been what could easily be described as a minor uproar over the new "Corsair Gaming" logo. There have been some people defending the logo, some people saying they don't care, and a very vocal group saying how much they hate it. I'd just like to weigh in with my honest opinion and something that could be considered more constructive criticism than blind hatred.

I can understand the defense on Corsair's part, especially because I'm sure this sort of backlash was not expected. I also understand that for many reasons, financial otherwise, something like axing this whole new division or changing the logos and design on all of the new devices right off the bat is just not wise.

HOWEVER. None of this changes the fact that there is unrest among what can be considered Corsairs real fans. People that are loyal to the company and have been for years because of their love of the design Corsair brings to market across all of their products. One thing I love about the Corsair design philosophy I've seen in past years was the fact that it works for all situations. Whether you are at your desk at work or at the largest LAN party in the Western hemisphere.. Corsair products looked right at home.

I'm glad to see that the response has been changing from what could be seen as denial, to being more accepting of the negative feedback. Problem is as of right now unless you were only planning on picking up a Cherry MX Red K70 you're still not in luck. Personally I dislike the new logo. I feel as though it takes an otherwise very tasteful and professional looking keyboard and manages to make it somehow very tacky. Although I love the Corsair sails I am not against using another symbol for a more "Gaming Centric" product line... It's just that I would prefer that product line be seperated from the other corsair peripheral lines so that people like me could have their more professional looking keyboards, mice, etc... (which is what we have been expecting this entire time[would have been nice to debut the new logo when the keyboard was fresh on the scene and not right when we finally get it]) and people who want something more showy and "Gamer Designed" could have that as an option also.

As for this whole "Logo looks like a tramp stamp" argument I'm seeing everywhere... I can't say that it's wrong. Having crossed swords as a logo on gaming peripherals could look pretty cool, problem is the new logo doesn't look like crossed swords. It really doesn't. And sure a color change can freshen things up sometimes, but of all colors why yellow? A large number of people buying RGB peripherals buy them because they wan't a specific color scheme across their setup, adding yellow (not a subtle color) to these devices that are in many ways like a blank canvas is sort of like selling someone a canvas to paint on, except it's already partially painted on.

I'm not expecting change to come quickly if at all, but I'm hoping it does at some point in the future. I'm sure that if "Corsair Gaming" really does stick around as a brand, it will have to go through several iterations before enthusiasts, Corsair lovers, gamers, and just casual users can all agree it's something we can get fully on board with.

For now I guess the best thing is to wait and see what happens. I've seen plenty about how the people voicing their disapproval is only a small minority of gamers but what's more important is specifically what amount of people that wan't these peripherals like or dislike the new aesthetic. I'd like to see more of people speaking up in a calm and civilized way from both sides. And remember, a vocal minority is always more heard than a silent majority

Well said, you summarised everything perfectly, especial the part about the RGB keyboard colour thing. I just hope that Corsair truly listen to the upset customers (numerically insignificant they may be). I can't wait to buy the K70 RGB when it comes out here in the southern hemisphere, and hopefully by that time I can get the classic logo.

Archived