Corsair Community

Computer won't post when using 2 sticks of Vengeance low profile memory

bossman74

I have a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO on Bios 0606 and can't make it post when I insert my 2 sticks of memory (Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B Vengeance Bl Lowprofile 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24)

What ever position/combination (4 available slots) of the sticks it won't boot...

But when I use only one of the sticks (4gb) any of the two, in whichever slot, it post and boots normally.

I tried the MemOK button function that comes with my motherboard to see if it's a compatibility problem, but it doesn't work, it cycles through all settings (rebooting each time) and ends up with the MemOK led turned on.

I've check the compatibility of the memory with my motherboard, and it is listed as compatible.

Anyone can point me in the right direction so I can have my full 8gb or ram ???

Thanks.

9,9,9,24,2t like on the stick.

boot with 1 stick and run CPU-Z and look at the SPD tab, it lists the ones to set. leave the rest to auto.

you may even try resetting the bios to defaults and enable XMP somewhere in the bios. that will do it too.

Alright I'm a noob (an old noob...) I took some screenshots of the settings I've put in, before it was all in auto.

http://twitpic.com/6e6j0u/full

http://twitpic.com/6e6jbp/full

http://twitpic.com/6e6j5p/full

I've tried installing the 2nd DIMM after those changes, and when I turn the power ON, the MemOK led turns on and the computer doesn't post.

I've tried both DIMM individually and both work, only one at a time, so I guess hardware failure isn't the problem. Right ?

Alright while I was fiddling around with the memory modules and the different slots, I realized that it's not when the 2 modules are inserted that it doesn't post, it's when any module is inserted in either DIMM_B1 or/and DIMM_B2 slots !

So now I can have both of the modules in the DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 slots and it post/boots normally.

Could it be a hardware problem (motherboard) after all ? Or is there a setting that can cause this kind of behaviour ???

Also is the performance lower because I use that configuration ?

So now I can have both of the modules in the DIMM_A1 and DIMM_A2 slots and it post/boots normally.

Actually your MB manual states that RAM is to be placed in A2 and B2 for dual channel operation.

I would make sure you use those slots and then try booting again. If it boot's, load set-up defaults and then enable XMP. XMP is under the AI Tweaker menu. Just highlight it and choose XMP. Save your changes and exit.

Please just go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults then enable XMP and disable Legacy USB and test the system with http://www.memtest.org and DO NOT use the AUSU Windows Utility.

Do you mean with a bootable CD ?

That's what I'm doing right now, 12% completed...I'll post a picture of the results.

Actually your MB manual states that RAM is to be placed in A2 and B2 for dual channel operation.

I would make sure you use those slots and then try booting again. If it boot's, load set-up defaults and then enable XMP. XMP is under the AI Tweaker menu. Just highlight it and choose XMP. Save your changes and exit.

I know, that's what I tried first, but so far no setting (XMP included) allowed me to boot with any of the modules in either DIMM_B1 or DIMM_B2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post

I know, that's what I tried first, but so far no setting (XMP included) allowed me to boot with any of the modules in either DIMM_B1 or DIMM_B2.

I'm really starting to think you have a faulty MB. It might be worth calling ASUS with this too. If they both pass memtest on their own.

Also is the performance lower because I use that configuration ?

Can you explain this a little better? What performance? Or were you referring to frequency?

Could that cause this problem, shouldn't I get errors on the CPU ?

Absolutly! But not necessarily CPU errors in general.

If the cooler has an uneven seat against or a bent /weak pin where it contacts the CPU especially the area that is responsible for the memory controller, It can cause all kinds of issues from memory not working at all to not fully detecting the correct amount of memory and so on.

It's worth a shot. But if it does not work i would get the MB replaced.

you could try reseating your CPU, maybe a pin not making good contact?

Absolutly! But not necessarily CPU errors in general.

If the cooler has an uneven seat against or a bent /weak pin where it contacts the CPU especially the area that is responsible for the memory controller, It can cause all kinds of issues from memory not working at all to not fully detecting the correct amount of memory and so on.

It's worth a shot. But if it does not work i would get the MB replaced.

Ok I'll do that when I get home later today, I'll update you guys once it's done.

Thanks for your help !

You guys were right, when I removed the CPU, I noticed some bent pins on the Motherboard.

I don't know how this could have happen, I was careful (I've done this so many times), but I forgot to inspect them before I installed the CPU.

I'm screwed, I can't RMA the board now, even if they were probably damaged before I touched it :(

Is there a way to fix this myself, it so small I hardly can't see them. :evil:

with a good magnifying glass or a STRONG set of reading glasses and a needle or pin you may be able to straighten out the pins. there are some videos on youtube of people doing it.

i wish you luck and a steady hand!

and im sorry i was right, i wanted it to be something else easier to fix but based on your symptoms and the tests we did it sounded like bent pins.

I ran into a similar situation some years back with Dominator DDR2 memory on a EVGA 680i MB. In order to get the system to POST with both sticks of memory installed. I had to first use only 1 stick, and go into the BIOS to manually adjust the voltage setting for the memory. The default voltage was way below what the memory required. After I did that, the system was able to POST without issue using both modules.

However if your system can't post with a single module in either B1 or B2, then I'd have to agree with the previous posts and say your motherboard may be the cause.

-Icer

with a good magnifying glass or a STRONG set of reading glasses and a needle or pin you may be able to straighten out the pins. there are some videos on youtube of people doing it.

i wish you luck and a steady hand!

and im sorry i was right, i wanted it to be something else easier to fix but based on your symptoms and the tests we did it sounded like bent pins.

That's exactly what I did, or actually my GF did (she got better eyes then I do) so with her Super-eyesight and my supervision ;): we managed to get them back in place (mostly I think).

I've put everything back together, inserted the memory in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 like ASUS specifies and turned it ON...

It booted normally, no errors no error LED and Windows sees my full 8GB of ram. Woohoo:biggrin: Even the setup said it was seeing a "new" CPU.

Anyway I just wanted to thank you guys, you're help is GREATLY appreciated, keep on your good work for noobs like me !

I was wondering, is there a special utility/test I could run that would verify that all pins are making proper contact with the CPU ???

You guys were right, when I removed the CPU, I noticed some bent pins on the Motherboard.

Aww man! Sorry to hear that. You might try a local computer shop close by if you have before you go and replace the MB Or if yo decide to go it alone i wish you luck.

I don't know how this could have happen, I was careful (I've done this so many times), but I forgot to inspect them before I installed the CPU.

Ya know what they say...You are not the first and you wont be the last. *&%$ happens! I think it happens to just about everybody that has built a few computer has done it at least once.

Be sure to post back if you need any more help once you get the MB straightened out.

Archived