Corsair Community

What happens when i close the iCUE app?

PoWeL88

Hey Guys,

couldn't find anything about it, so you guys might know.

I run my cpu cooler (h150i) and the rest of my case-fans though iCUE. 2 of the fans are cooling the radiator from the graphicscard. when i start my pc the iCUE software starts minimized and the fans run like my configuration.

But what happens if i close the app? do they run with the configuration i have set? or do they run on another profile?

Why would i even close the app? -> because i have to test if my random freezes have something to do with the iCUE software. i've read a bit about people complaining about the software and using asus mainboards.

Thanks in advance :-)

edit: i like to add that 3 fans are connected to the h150i. and the other 3 fans are connected to a commander pro. 2 of the fans on the commander pro are the fans for my graphicscard radiator.

As me, you can opt to save the hardware performance to your AIO so it works standalone, therefore iCUE will not use CPU

You can also save basic animations in your RGB fans and Strips (I don't own any other Corsair RGB device), in my case I have them in "rainbow wave" in the slowest setting, it looks the nicest IMHO.

To fully close iCUE you also need to stop the "Corsair service" (Windows Service)

I have iCUE set to not open when I boot my PC, and the service to "Manual" so it doesn't start on boot either.

thanks for your reply.

i did close the app a few times and i noticed that the rgb lights changed. and i know that there is some hardwareprofile that runs the light.

however i do not know which cooling profile runs when the app is closed. i created some custom profiles for my graphicscard cooling.

i am scared to play games with the icue app closed, because i do not know if the fans will speed up when i am gaming and my gpu is under load.

The effect of quitting the application and its associated services will eliminate control from non-native sources. That means any data that comes from the the motherboard, like CPU or GPU temperature and I suspect the later is what you use. Any fans set to those values likely go to maximum in the absence of a control signal. This does not apply to the H150i since its coolant temp probe is internal and the fans will run from the saved to device profile.

As for the GPU fans (120mm push pull on the rear?), presumably you have a Commander Pro in this system of we wouldn't be talking about what happens to fan control for them. That makes the solution easy. Go grab one of the 4 thermistor 10K wires that came in the box and run from it from the C-Pro to the rear outside of the case. For now, you can just tape it back there with the sensor end sticking out into the rear exhaust flow. This will measure radiator exhaust temp which is equivalent to radiator coolant temperature (-1 to 2C). Since this is a hybrid AIO cooled GPU, your coolant temp is effectively GPU temperature as long as all your pieces fit together. The reason to do this is two fold. One, the temp probe controls are native and will allow you run the right fans speeds all the time, with or without iCUE. Second, it creates a secondary data point to let you know if there is trouble with the hybrid set up. A higher GPU temp compared to a relatively low air exhaust temp will tell you the contact is no longer so great. I ran my Titan Pascal on a 120mm just like this for a long time. The Commander Pro was extremely valuable for this. Also, the rear exhaust temp could easily be a better control source for the top two intake fans. The front 360mm will do what it needs to do in regard to CPU coolant temperature, but it would make sense to run the top in accordance with GPU load. If you don't have a lot of GPU activity going on, then you really don't need any more intake to help with case air volume exchange.

The solution is quite simple.

Make a profile with fan curves controlled by your coolant temp or your CPU temp. (Better coolant temp if possible)

Then close iCUE and the service, make sure the service is off then run HWinfo.

Test if everything works well by stressing the system. Once you have the desired min/max speeds you can forget about iCUE and only run it in case you wanna change something.

ok so i can do that with my cpu (coolant temp) but not with the gpu.

so i might have to plug the fans of the gpu cooler into the mainboard directly and try to configure it over the bios.

then i might start a test and see if iCUE is the problem that causes the freezes.

thanks for your replys. i will try to test it when i'm back home.

Yes, the H150i (or any other Corsair i cooler) is no problem. It will run from it's native curve since the sensor is internal.

The GPU temp is more problematic. The motherboard is not likely to have what you want for control source choices. As far as I am aware, you must have an Asus GPU to run from GPU temp on Asus motherboards. However, re-read what I wrote about regarding the temp probes from the Commander Pro. You only need one wire. You can snake it out any slot you can find. If you've lost all the thermistors that came with the C-Pro, you can get a 10K thermistor from anywhere for $5-7 and it does not need to be Corsair branded. You do have a Water In/Out thermistor port on your port that also takes these 10K wires and could also be used in the same way. Finally, with or without iCUE, using the thermistor wire is a really good way to keep your fan speeds where you want them. The GPU 120mm fans can run a copy of the same cuvrve you use now. The difference between the GPU temp and rear exhaust temp is usually offset at -1C (except when at cold idle and the GPU voltage is nominal). This also lets you run the top intake fans this way. It will put all case fans under native control in a way that makes sense, works with or without iCUE, during the boot cycle, and is still easily configurable. The only downside is you have to run the wire around the back. That may only be an issue if your case is placed in a 360 degree exposure, although most people have the back of the case aimed at the wall.

ah okay i understand.

my gpu is cooled via one 240mm radiator on the top. the fans push the air out (exhaust)

the rear fan in the case is also exhaust.

so you say, i take one thermistor from the C-pro and place it at the exhaust of the radiator? how do i configure it, so that the c-pro knows that this thermistor is for the 2 fans? can i do it in the software and then save it to the hardware?

Whoops... I caught the video out of the corner of my eye an wrongly attributed it to you.

Same thing for top 240mm exhaust, only easier to hide the cable. Run the 10K wire from any of the 4 slots on the C-Pro. Stick the sensor end on the top side of the radiator, in between the case panel and radiator/fan assembly. It does not need to be in the middle of the radaitor. The value will be consistent as long as you don't move it around. I still do this on my Titan loop with 280mm radiator. It's just taped so it sticks out a few cm into airflow path.

Once you have that inserted into the Commander Pro, you will find a new reading Temp Sensor (1-4) in the C-Pro Performance tab. You can rename. It will also appear as a control source in all custom fan curves. Go to your GPU fan curve and change the source to Commander Pro Temp #? or whatever you change the name to. Once set, it will save to commander pro automatically. I run three of these in my 740, with one on the GPU exhaust radiator, one in the interior where the CPU and GPU radiators come together - effectively measuring pre-radiator temp, and then another on my PSU exhaust.

quick info:

i got response on reddit from a corsair employee and he said when i close the icue app my fans will run with the costum curve i set up.

i did some tests and it runs fine.

so now i deactivate the auto-startup from icue and also the corsair service and run my fans just with my curve. lightning is from the hardware profile.

i just do this because my pc is freezing from time to time and i heard that icue and asus mainboards don't work well together. so i hope that this might temporaly fixes my problem.

Archived