The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2019, 06:21 AM

POST ID # = 994962
stebrick Reputation: 10
Idea [Complicated Setup] - Default Speed of ML120 & LL120

Long story short, I am trying to set up 1 case 2 system (ATX + ITX) via Phantek's PSU Revolt X. I'd like to power up the 2 systems individually (or sometimes jointly). My initial plan is that all fans' PWM/RGB fans control being connected to ATX board via commandar pro, while the power of the case fans are gonna be shared among two system via the PSU (which will send power to all SATA/Molex via the PSU no matter which system is powered up)

With this setup, correct me if i am wrong, my understanding is that even if the commandar pro does not receive any PWM signal from motherboard of ATX, it still gets the power from SATA of the PSU if ITX system (or the PSU) is powered up.

So i am wondering:-

1. What's the default speed of ML120 and LL120 if they receive no PWM signal? Would they run in full speed (please specify the speed)?

2. Let's say i turn on the ATX system, set it to certain speed, later switch ATX off (so does the PWM signal). Would the fans speed of ML120 & LL120 resume to its default immediately? Or would they continue to run at the custom speed before PWM signal is turned off? Or...would it lower the speed (to what level?) of the fans automatically due to the change of temperature?

Thanks in advance (i know this is a bit unusual setup...)

Old 02-20-2019, 08:11 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 994972
DevBiker Reputation: 83

With no PWM signal, they run at full speed. Check the specs for what that is.

With the Commander Pro - IF the fan speeds are tied to one of the built-in temperature sensors that ship with the Commander Pro, the CoPro will manage the fan speeds based on that curve whether USB is connected or not. In no circumstance does the CoPro receive a PWM signal from the motherboard. It connects to the host system via USB and uses that for the interface with iCUE.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 PM

POST ID # = 995040
stebrick Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
With no PWM signal, they run at full speed. Check the specs for what that is.

With the Commander Pro - IF the fan speeds are tied to one of the built-in temperature sensors that ship with the Commander Pro, the CoPro will manage the fan speeds based on that curve whether USB is connected or not. In no circumstance does the CoPro receive a PWM signal from the motherboard. It connects to the host system via USB and uses that for the interface with iCUE.
Much appreciated for the prompt and straight reply!

Sounds like CoPro is more advanced than I thought!

So...all i need to do before I turn off ATX system (to which the CoPro is tied) is to set the fan speeds tied to the built-in temperature, then CoPro will continue to manage and run the fan speed according to the sensor, rather than running the fans at full default speed? Could different group of fans be tied to different thermal sensor?

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2019, 10:17 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 995060
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Each fan curve can be tied to a built-in temp sensor (you have 4 of them). You can put each fan on a different curve. As long as it's based on one of the built-in sensors (and not one of the many software-based sensors available in iCUE), you are good.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.