The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2018, 09:37 AM

POST ID # = 981964
elric75 Reputation: 10

No phanteks halo are just a frame to put on non rgb fans to have rgb https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

and those are plugued to the rgb headed of the motherboard, asus maximus hero X

i'd rather have all my rgb controled by asus aura

Old 11-25-2018, 09:52 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 981968
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Interesting. I haven’t seen those. It should make no difference from a cooling perspective unless it is somehow blocking the fan. That seems unlikely. However, it is possible the plastic resonates from the fan vibrations, but I think I would need to have one to say more than that.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:20 AM

POST ID # = 981975

I will try to reseat it when i have time. If you tell me I can't control Corsair RGB from motherboard I dont want to buy it ...

Tried to put 0 rmp on each fan and the one who were noisy were the one with Halos (the one which is the more next to me is unvisible in the case so no point of puting one on it )

i changed a bit my curve for more silence and kept the pump on balanced

Made a curve for the silent fan,

40% untill 33c
90% at 35
100% 36

And for the one with halos
35% untill 33
90% at 35
100% 36

with those setting it's very silent (untill i figure out how to fix the halos issue)
i get around 38c on CPu at idle, 32/34 on coolant at idle

In game havent seen more than 67c on the cpu

Are those temps ok?

Last edited by elric75; 11-25-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:25 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 981977

Yeah, your coolant delta or change is small and exactly as expected. The only way to lower temps further is to lower room/case temperature shifting everything down several degrees. That’s not something easily done or possibly even desirable.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:32 AM

POST ID # = 981981

I changed a bit, put the fans at 25 % untill 33c (coolant) and then rise utill 90% to 35 and 100% at 37. It's almost silent with that setting, really need to find why the halos are making the fans more noisy.. maybe i'll get rid of it but i like my rgb :)

Old 11-27-2018, 11:30 AM

POST ID # = 982346

Little up there,

Is there a way to also use Corsair link with my PSU? I never used it actually but i dont have any free internal usb port, is there a way to plug the PSU and the Watercooling system?

Old 11-27-2018, 04:48 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 982418

Which Corsair PSU do you have? It needs to be an “i” model.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:49 PM

POST ID # = 982419

It's a RMI 850w I don't really know the perks of using corsair link with it but if there is a way without adding a lot of extra cables, why not :)

Old 11-27-2018, 08:33 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 982464

In the PSU kit should have been a small USB 2.0 connector. The PSU end will be small and flat and goes on the right side of the connectors (I think). It eats another USB 2.0 which are getting rather hard to come by these days. However, it will let you see power usage stats and potentially alter fan behavior on the PSU, but I am not sure how much on the RM series.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:33 PM

POST ID # = 982598

Oh ok will see.

I decided to get rid of the Phanteks halo, tried other fans too without success so i'll keep those and take the RGB one later.

The pump is quite audible on the balanced mode, will I get bad performance if I keep it on quiet? Or maybe quiet for desktop work and put it back on balanced when gaming?

Is this normal noise level for balanced mode?

not very audible on a video though but there is a little sound and i wonder if it's normal, since I tried to change fans to put RGB one i wonder if there is not some air bubble maybe

Last edited by elric75; 11-28-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Old 11-28-2018, 06:02 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 982617

I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. It's an electro-mechanical device that spins between 1100-3000 rpm. It is going to have a higher frequency "hum" to it. However, that noise should be smooth and consistent. Uneven sounds, clicks, whirs, or other odd noises require some investigation.

It is very difficult for me to recognize perceived loudness on your end. Mine is about 4 ft from my ear and I can't hear anything over 5x140mm fans at 500 rpm. I need to open the case door and stick my head with 18 inches to hear it clearly (at 2160 balanced). Having just put all the fans in the case into a zero rpm state, I can now hear it from 4ft, although it is quite difficult to tell the PRO pump from my D5. Regardless, it is faint, but audible if you are trying to hear it. Now with the fans back on at 400 rpm, that is all I can hear and one of several reasons I don't use the Zero RPM mode. There are some benefits to light fan noise.

Yes, you can certainly toggle between Quiet and Balanced for desktop and heavier work. Quiet will probably cost your 4-5C depending on the load. That will be easy enough to assess by watching coolant temperature. However, in the larger scheme of things if you can hear the pump over the fans at your desk while working, that poses a problem. I don't think these Pro coolers are very loud, but there are alternatives if the lowest possible noise floor is a goal. Like all things, that usually requires a compromise somewhere else.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:31 AM

POST ID # = 982690

The sound is indeed consistent I can hear it but my case is very silent and now that i got rid of the Halos, the fans are very silent too. I just need to get used to it I suppose but before i tried to put other fans and got back to the ML, i don't remember hearing the pump at all on balanced mode but maybe I'm wrong

It's too bad the pump speed can't be customized, quiet is around 1100 rpm, balanced 2000, I wish there was a 1500 rpm profile :)

Last edited by elric75; 11-29-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:22 AM

POST ID # = 982873

I noticed that at low speed (around 45%) the fans are ticking a bit, is it normal? at 70% i cant hear the ticking or maybe it's just covered by the noise of the fans..
but there is some ticking.. maybe i should lose the screws a bit?

When i put everything on balanced mode, it seems that i have the less noise disturbance, i can hear the fan but not that annoying actually, is balanced mode the best overall?

also i read somewhere that it was better to use link that icue, is that true?

Finally, are the RGB ML 120 performing the same as those coming with the aio?

Last edited by elric75; 11-30-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 982880
DevBiker Reputation: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by elric75 View Post
I noticed that at low speed (around 45%) the fans are ticking a bit, is it normal? at 70% i cant hear the ticking or maybe it's just covered by the noise of the fans..
but there is some ticking.. maybe i should lose the screws a bit?
There typically shouldn't be any ticking. That may be a fan blade hitting something. Try loosening the screws (as you suggest) a touch to see if it goes away. If it does, then that's definitely what it is.

Quote:
When i put everything on balanced mode, it seems that i have the less noise disturbance, i can hear the fan but not that annoying actually, is balanced mode the best overall?
Balanced mode provides a decent balance between noise and performance. Is it "best"? Depends on what's more important to you - noise or performance. Personally, I find a custom curve "best".

Quote:
also i read somewhere that it was better to use link that icue, is that true?
IMHO, not at all. Some people seem to like Link better for any number of reasons. But Link is end-of-life and won't be updated moving forward.

Quote:
Finally, are the RGB ML 120 performing the same as those coming with the aio?
Yes, they have the exact same performance characteristics as the stock Pro series fans.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 AM

POST ID # = 982882

Will try,

here are some better videos to see what I mean

First video : changing the pump mode from quiet to balanced, there is a high pitch buzz which is a bit annoying

Second one, the fans. I can hear a little rattling ?

For the modes it seems than with balanced i can hear the less the sound that annoys me so i don't know..

I'd like to have a curve which is ok silent on desktop, movies and very agressive for gaming.

With balanced, right now the coolant is at 30.4 which is lower than with the curve i did before