Corsair Community

PC keeps shutting off randomly with RM750i

dashrendar

Hi all,

This is my first post here.

Over the weekend, I built a new system and it is my first time to use a Corsair RM750i PSU.

The build and the boot up went well. I was able to install Windows 10 and many programs and start using the PC.

I noticed that every day the PC would shut down randomly while doing light work. My light work consists of checking e-mail, financial software, browsing, listening to music, etc. I don't game.

The symptoms are: The display goes black (goes into standby mode). The CPU fan keeps running. The RGB lights on the motherboard are still on. The light around the power button is still on. However, I cannot turn on/off the PC from the power button (even if I hold it down for 10-20 seconds to shut it off completely). NIC light is still on. In this state, I can press the fan test button and it would run fine.

I am unable to get out of this state unless I turn off/on the PSU.

I did run Prime95 overnight stressing the CPU (for about 10 hours) and another night stressing the RAM (for about 9 hours) and there were no shutdowns. Last night, I left the system running idle with only with music playing. I came in the morning and it was fine. After starting to use it for 30-60 minutes, I got the random shutdown.

My system is not a killer rig at all. Here are the specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

Mobo: ASUS PRIME x470-PRO

RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200

PSU: Corsair RM750i

Fans: 1 Noctua CPU fan and 3 Noctua case fans.

Sound card: Audioengine D1 external USB DAC.

Storage Samsung EVO 970 1TB (m2 drive)

In normal operation, the 3 case fans are usually not running because the temperatures are not high enough. Load showing in Corsair link is about 40-50 watts. When running Prime95, the highest I've seen is 120-150 watts. I don't think the PSU fan is close to getting kicked off.

I tried re-plugging the ATX 24-pin and the CPU connectors on both the motherboard and the PSU. I don't see anything else out of the ordinary. This is a less-than-a-week old rig.

I am currently waiting for a replacement from Amazon to see if it's a PSU issue. Is this the right first step?

Stress testing tells me that it's not a motherboard, CPU or RAM. Otherwise, I would have seen failues. I don't see anything in the Windows Event Log.

It feels like the PSU is simply tripping or something.

I was just wondering if there are any ideas from the community here.

Thanks in advance!

Just to let everyone know, I just had 2-3 shut downs today.

After the 3rd shutdown, I decided to try my previous build's PSU--a PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750W.

It's hooked up now. I'll report back if I observe similar symptoms with the the older PSU.

Meanwhile, ideas and thoughts are very welcome.

If you are losing power, it's almost always the power supply.

They are not fun to troubleshoot unless you have a PSU tester. I'd swap it out and if it keeps doing it, then it's a matter of going component by component.

Swapping the PSU will be the quickest and easiest thing to rule out. I had a very similar situation on a previous build with random and nearly impossible to predict shutdowns. It was the PSU.

Okay, here is something interesting.

After hooking up my older and previously working PSU and let the computer sit idle all night with music playing, I came back to it this morning and it was locked up.

The symptoms were similar: Display in standby mode. Keyboard keys and lights locked up. CPU fan still running. Couldn't power off/on the PC from the power button. I had to turn the PSU off and on.

I already stress-tested the CPU and Memory with no errors. I also ruled out my UPS by connecting the PC directly to the wall. I don't really have any other PCIe cards installed. Does this mean I have to look at replacing the entire motherboard then?

In general, are there any incompatibilities between ASUS mobos and Corsair PSUs? I saw something about the surge protection feature in ASUS mobos, but unfortunately, there is no BIOS option to disable it.

So I noticed a PSA Reddit thread:

Many people are having similar symptoms that I am having due to running multiple utilities that monitored temps, fan speeds, voltages, etc. at the same time.

I was running both ASUS AI Suite and Corsair Link in the past several days when symptoms were observed.

I turned off Corsair Link to see if it makes a difference.

I've used ASUS AI Suite in my previous build with no issues like this.

We'll see.... Is it possible for software that reads hardware info to cause such a shutdown? So many variables!

Good morning, I have had the same problem, with a Corsair RM 750, when it is working, or I am playing a game or doing homework, there is no problem, but if I leave it at rest for a while without doing anything, at the time when I return to the computer to do some task, this is as if it had been blocked, this is all on the processor, the graphics, all the fans turn but there is no way to react, you have to give the button to turn off and restart, change the motherboard , nothing, change the graphic, either, and in the end this week I changed the PSU, and the problem is over, it has not done that again, the problem is that I bought a Corsair RM750X, and I had to return it in charge with games it buzzes and gets very hot, I'm waiting for you to send me a new Amazon.

• Corsair Employee
So I noticed a PSA Reddit thread:

Many people are having similar symptoms that I am having due to running multiple utilities that monitored temps, fan speeds, voltages, etc. at the same time.

I was running both ASUS AI Suite and Corsair Link in the past several days when symptoms were observed.

I turned off Corsair Link to see if it makes a difference.

I've used ASUS AI Suite in my previous build with no issues like this.

We'll see.... Is it possible for software that reads hardware info to cause such a shutdown? So many variables!

It originally sounded like PSU, but don't rule other components just yet. I've seen similar situations where it was the video driver/video card causing the lock up, too.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, but I figured out my problem.

It was in fact that I had two HW monitoring tools running at the same time; the ASUS AI Suite and Corsair Link.

To isolate the HW, I replaced the Corsair RM750i with my previous stable PSU; PC Power and Cooling Silencer. It exhibited the exact same problem-computer shuts off and goes into that bad state. That's when I knew it was not the Corsair PSU.

Before going through the trouble of replacing the motherboard, the next thing I did was I turned off the Corsair Link. I have not seen the issue in two months so far. The build has been rock solid.

I'm so glad I found and solved the problem. I am also surprised that a problem like this exists. Apparently, from the Reddit post, it looks like a known issue.

Archived