Corsair Community

2TB HDD Performance

ZJyn

Just a quick question!

Before, I had asked a question about the RPM's of the Hard Drive, and specifically the HD's size (Being it's more laptop sized than Desktop Sized), and I walked away feeling a little 'meh" when I found out that it was only 5400RPM.

Doing more research these last few months, i've been coming to understand that RPM's don't necessarily translate to performance.

So.. I thought i'd come straight to the source.

I'm not looking for SSD performance. But what i'd love to know is how it performs next to, say, this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNJBA2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I could get that answered? It will really help shape my buying decision.

• Corsair Employee
Just a quick question!

Before, I had asked a question about the RPM's of the Hard Drive, and specifically the HD's size (Being it's more laptop sized than Desktop Sized), and I walked away feeling a little 'meh" when I found out that it was only 5400RPM.

Doing more research these last few months, i've been coming to understand that RPM's don't necessarily translate to performance.

So.. I thought i'd come straight to the source.

I'm not looking for SSD performance. But what i'd love to know is how it performs next to, say, this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNJBA2I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I could get that answered? It will really help shape my buying decision.

they are about the same. the specs are almost identical aside from the form factor.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't have a chance to check back in on this thread, but I wanted to thank Stormshadow for answering my question.

So... thank you!

That should mean that i'd be good installing the grand majority of my gaming library to that drive, and not notice a slowdown compared to the 7200 RPM Barracuda hard drive i'm currently using, correct? :)

Thanks again!

I have my games installed on the HDD, and the OS on the M.2 drive. I don't find any slow down in performance in doing this personally. The drive and system are fast enough that gaming doesn't suffer at all.

I did look into putting another drive in my One, just for games - an SSD. But... 2TB is rather a lot of space, I've only used 20% of it, projects, gaming, music, etc not withstanding. I can't see that ever building to a dangerous level.

The 500GB m.2 drive I use for OS only, and is also sitting at 20% usage.

I guess you could install some games to the m.2 drive and see if it makes a difference in load times. Or even put an SSD in the empty drive bay. The connector is there, you'll need a power cable for it though.

Personally, I couldn't justify the cost, because I have all that space free. And as I say, even running the games from the HDD they run very well and without issues.

Hope that helps.

• Corsair Employee
I have my games installed on the HDD, and the OS on the M.2 drive. I don't find any slow down in performance in doing this personally. The drive and system are fast enough that gaming doesn't suffer at all.

I did look into putting another drive in my One, just for games - an SSD. But... 2TB is rather a lot of space, I've only used 20% of it, projects, gaming, music, etc not withstanding. I can't see that ever building to a dangerous level.

The 500GB m.2 drive I use for OS only, and is also sitting at 20% usage.

I guess you could install some games to the m.2 drive and see if it makes a difference in load times. Or even put an SSD in the empty drive bay. The connector is there, you'll need a power cable for it though.

Personally, I couldn't justify the cost, because I have all that space free. And as I say, even running the games from the HDD they run very well and without issues.

Hope that helps.

this is correct. HDD vs. M.2 has no difference in game performance. I have a few machines, my main run nothing but M.2 and it honestly does not feel any difference compare to my other machines have games installed on HDD.

this is correct. HDD vs. M.2 has no difference in game performance. I have a few machines, my main run nothing but M.2 and it honestly does not feel any difference compare to my other machines have games installed on HDD.

To be honest - you guys put such premium parts in the One that performance has not been an issue (at least for me). I looked at the specs of the M.2 drive and HDD from the manufacturer sites, and they were the best at the time the One Pro I have was built. I consider myself to have future-proofed by going for top end. My last PC was top spec when I built it, and it lasted 8 years before a critical failure took out the motherboard. I'm looking to get at least 5 years out of the One Pro I have - or more. It's not about being cheap, it's about value for money. That's why I went for the One Pro, it's top spec, future proofed (as much as anything can be) and has high spec parts. It's not going to fall apart tomorrow, next week or even next year. It's a keeper.

And when the time comes for me to retire this machine, I hope that Corsair have something that will be as amazing and based on the tech at the time :D:

Archived