Corsair Community

Alienware Aurora R7 and LPX 2666mhz

hellomarty

Hi All,

I have the R7 i7-8700 (non K) and just installed 16GB (2x8GB) to my existing factory 16GB 2666mhz, but total memory shows up as 2133mhz.

Already tried to change XMP in bios, but it's greyed out, so I'm stuck. Are these memory not compatible? Any solutions?

Thanks.

You can't use XMP when you mix kits. It is generally inadvisable to mix memory kits at all unless you are prepared to work for your stability. You will need to manually set the frequency, voltage, and primary timings in the BIOS. I do not know what the Alienware/Dell BIOS does with sub-timings. If it has an auto feature, leave it set for that and cross your fingers.

You need to use the same memory for all slots if you want to use the 1 click XMP overclock preset and it is generally advisable to use a matched kit. It is possible to manually set them yourself to 2666, but there are no guarantees it will run with a mixed bag of modules. I would think you have a decent shot at 2666, but can’t really be sure with Dell. Historically, they tend to be a little bit more finicky about certain things.

• Corsair Employee
You need to use the same memory for all slots if you want to use the 1 click XMP overclock preset and it is generally advisable to use a matched kit. It is possible to manually set them yourself to 2666, but there are no guarantees it will run with a mixed bag of modules. I would think you have a decent shot at 2666, but can’t really be sure with Dell. Historically, they tend to be a little bit more finicky about certain things.

perfectly said. Many thanks as always.

Archived