Corsair Community

non editable answers

It was recently implemented to stop a certain type of spammer. We'll see how it goes.

For those who need help I suspect this change will not be a big issue, but got those who provide help it is a total PITA.

This is a terrible decision as it prevents me from updating posts in light of new information. Typical examples are:

1. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=839688
  2. http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=822047

Is it possible to allow selected users to edit all their posts?

I further feel just making the change with no announcement is unprofessional.

Right, it's no solution for summary threads which sometimes are sticked. So the user use the first and last post, but for all changes and difference this can't be the way for informations.

It is regrettable that Corsair or others have chosen to remove the ability to edit their posts/ or update them. Sometimes in my haste to post I misspell or even put the the letters in the wrong place in a single word. It only when I revisit a post that I find those silly mistakes. SO I'M NOT HAPPY WITH THIS DECISION ATOLL.

REgards.

Mike Irish

I further feel just making the change with no announcement is unprofessional.
Changes to the back end are made all the time. This may be the 2nd time in 15 years that someone's said something.

It is regrettable that Corsair or others have chosen to remove the ability to edit their posts/ or update them.
Please re-read the first past. That's not what's happened. The edit window has been shortened. As I said, we'll see how it goes. Currently there's a 4 hour window between when a post is created and when you can edit it. Responding to the discussion in a thread with a correction is perfectly fine.

There's a fine line between constructive and unconstructive edits to a post. Spammers are largely the latter, where they create an innocuous post and then later edit it with spam links or advertisements. Others choose to edit their posts to make others in a thread look like they're responding to things they're not.

I further feel it's unprofessional that Corsair did not reply to http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158856.

Changes to the back end are made all the time. This may be the 2nd time in 15 years that someone's said something.

Currently there's a 4 hour window between when a post is created and when you can edit it.

It's a judgment you need to make. Almost all changes don't remove functionality that has been available for at least the last 2 years and I suspect the last 15, this one did so a post would have been appropriate.

4 hours rather than 10 minutes is sensible and probably enough for users that just report issues. The original limit of 10 minutes was ill considered.

Is it possible to allow selected users to edit all their posts?

Please answer this question. If it is possible can it be enabled for me?

BTW there is no Did you find this post helpful? Yes for posts in this thread. Should there be?

Please re-read the first past. That's not what's happened. The edit window has been shortened. As I said, we'll see how it goes. Currently there's a 4 hour window between when a post is created and when you can edit it. Responding to the discussion in a thread with a correction is perfectly fine.

Thank you in a first step to increase the time from 10min to 4 hour.

How much time will this step take as it will be normally?

No and no.

I am unclear as to which of the three questions you have answered. I guess I should have used a list, so I will try again.

1. Is it possible to allow selected users to edit all their posts?
  2. If it is possible can it be enabled for me?
  3. BTW there is no Did you find this post helpful? Yes for posts in this thread. Should there be?

How much time will this step take as it will be normally?
Please rephrase the question.

I am unclear as to which of the three questions you have answered. I guess I should have used a list, so I will try again.

1. Is it possible to allow selected users to edit all their posts?
  2. If it is possible can it be enabled for me?
  3. BTW there is no Did you find this post helpful? Yes for posts in this thread. Should there be?

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

Others choose to edit their posts to make others in a thread look like they're responding to things they're not.

If users do this then they should be suspected rather than removing the ability of all users to edit all their posts.

I recall I have received replies from which I deduced that the original post I made was unclear. I edited the original post and also added a new post stating what I had done. One such post is http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=822047.

I needed to do this more then 4 hours after the original post.

Removing the editing facility means such threads will be harder to follow.

It has already happened as I can edit my posts that are more than 10 minutes old.

For sure I said two posts before thank for the 4 hours. But I'm more interested about the behaviour state with "you can edit your posts every time if you want".

If there are language mistakes in my sentences please forgive, but english isn't my native language.

Ideally I would like to be able to edit all my posts, but have been pondering what editing facilities I could live with.

1. I suspect 90% of the time I only need to always be able edit the first post in a thread I created.
  2. If this was only allowed for established/approved members this would stop spammers.
  3. If I can't edit my post I would like to be able to view the source.
  4. I need #3 as I can't use
    if the post includes quotes.
  5. Having #3 would also be great for threads that have been closed.
  6. I would always like to be able to delete a post.
  7. I would like to be able to replace a post with a link to a new post in the same thread.
  8. I could live with only being able to do #7 for the first post.

But I'm more interested about the behaviour state with "you can edit your posts every time if you want".

So am I, but from what you posted before I could not tell this. I would ask as below.

We'll see how it goes.

On what date will Corsair decide if the editing of any post will be restored please?

If users do this then they should be suspected rather than removing the ability of all users to edit all their posts.

I recall I have received replies from which I deduced that the original post I made was unclear. I edited the original post and also added a new post stating what I had done. One such post is http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=822047.

I needed to do this more then 4 hours after the original post.

Removing the editing facility means such threads will be harder to follow.

This is a corner case. I'd suggest responding to the poster with a clarification. If needed, you can PM the staff and we'll look at editing posts on a case by case basis.

For sure I said two posts before thank for the 4 hours. But I'm more interested about the behaviour state with "you can edit your posts every time if you want".
I don't know where that quote's coming from. Please provide a link.

Ideally I would like to be able to edit all my posts, but have been pondering what editing facilities I could live with.
Noted.

On what date will Corsair decide if the editing of any post will be restored please?
There is no firm date.

I don't know where that quote's coming from. Please provide a link.

This is not a quote, this is more like a statement. It's like in the figurative sense. Sometimes it feels strange with english. xD

1. This is a corner case.
  2. I'd suggest responding to the poster with a clarification.
  3. If needed, you can PM the staff and we'll look at editing posts on a case by case basis.
  4. Noted.
  5. There is no firm date.

Your answers are rather terse and provide no useful information.

1. Yes, I know.
  2. Obviously.
  3. The Corsair presence in the Corsair Link section is almost zero and I am not sure who would have the time to do this or the technical knowledge needed validate the change.
  4. Yes, but is it likely any of these options will be implemented and if so on what date?
  5. A ballpark would be appropriate.
  6. I gather Technical Marketing isn't managing the individual forums anymore and it has fallen back to Technical Support's field and this happened around 01-Jan-2016.
  7. Since 01-Jan-2106 the Corsair presence in the Corsair Link section is almost zero :(: and now we can no longer edit all our posts :rant2:.
  8. Technical Marketing did a far better job :cool:.

Archived