Corsair Community

Coil whine with Corsair PSUs

GC_PaNzerFIN

Created own thread as instructed by RAM GUY.

I have had following coil whining Corsair PSUs in last few years:

HX520

TX850

AX750

AX750 -- Currently in use

Lets start debugging the problem:

I have tried using the PSU in different house. In fact total 4 of them, 2 of them 400km apart. I live in Finland and currently live in quite new apartment so quality of electricity should not be a problem everywhere in Finland.

I have tried changing ALL hardware components and even PCs and software. Multiple times actually.

For example for the first AX750 I tried:

Core i7 920 C0 / Core i7 920 D0 -- with and without power saving features

EVGA Classified X58 / Asus P6T Deluxe

3x2GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866MHz / Adata 3x2GB G series 1600MHz

HD 5870 / 2x HD 5870 / GTX 460 / GTX 580 / 8800GTS 512MB

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy / Asus Xonar DX

Intel X-25M G2 80GB / Samsung F1 1TB / Samsung F3 1TB/ WD 500GB

XP / VISTA 64bit / W7 64bit -- of course drivers changed too

2x different houses

Changed ALL cables, monitor etc.

Chieftec 550W PSU -> everything worked. No coil whine.

Enermax Revolution 85+ 850W -> everything worked. No coil whine.

Antec 500W PSU -> everything worked. No coil whine.

For the second AX750 I have tried:

i5 2500K / i7 3930K -- with and without power saving features

Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68 / Asus Rampage IV Formula X79

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Low Voltage 1600MHz (3 different kits)

X800XT PE, GTX 460, GTX 480

Asus Xonar DX

Intel X-25M G2 80GB / Samsung 840 PRO 256GB

W7 64bit / W8 64bit

2x different houses

Changed all cables, monitors...

Chieftec 500W PSU -> everything worked. No coil whine.

Going to buy a Super Flower Golden King Platinum 1000W today to replace this coil whining AX750. Will update the situation although I already know the result based on my previous experience...

So I have changed ALL hardware, ALL drivers/software and even physical location multiple times. And only PSUs coil whining are Corsairs.

Because of this I really have to start avoiding your PSU products until this gets fixed. Ask anything and I will gladly help you because I really want to get this stupid problem fixed from your PSUs (which are otherwise excellent btw) they just are far from the advertised quiet.

I will start RMA for the current AX750 I have shortly. Take this PSU in a very detailed test and see what happens.

The first AX750 had very loud buzz like whine but this current AX750 sounds like a bird singing.

I hope you understand my frustration. I think I have tried far more than a consumer should have to trying to fix the problem and now I have to accept the reality that I have to play safe with my next PSU purchase jsut to be sure. That is why I took the coil whine/buzz problems people have with the AX1200i very seriously. I was thinking about buying it but now I simply don't want to try my luck. :sigh!:

Current setup

http://i.imgur.com/H2sWT.jpg

I have had the older Corsair AX1200 for over a year and never heard a coil whine, that being said in Oct 2012 I upgraded my case too a Corsair C70 and installed 4 very quiet Noctua fans so now my system is very quiet and guess what I hear now? a Corsair psu coil whine. Bummer. oh well it's not that bad so I will live with it. my older case had such loud fans I never heard the whine.

• 1 year later...
  • Corsair Employee

I think, since all but the TX are made by Seasonic.... ;)

Surprised that the TX made noises.

Seriously, I would stick with an RM Series or wait for the new HXi to come out. Or... or... upgrade to an AXi, which is made by Flex and not Seasonic.

Archived