Corsair Community

TX650 Powersupply Fan Not Turning on!

garrettm4

I Recently upgraded my old Thermaltake Purepower 480w to a new Corsair TX650 (ordered on July 13th installed it on July 21st 2009) and was amazed by how deadly silent it was. I didn't think too much of why it was so silent because I upgraded to get rid of my old "blow-drier". I never looked to see if the fan was spinning once I installed it, until today (July 25th 2009) and noticed that the fan was sitting perfectly still (yes the computer was on). The thing is, it has worked flawlessly in an apparently passively cooled state for the past 4 days! I have been playing Rise of the Argonauts (which gets my hardware pumping out some heat) and I have my Q6600 mildly overclocked and this thing just maintains! My question is, is the fan not supposed to spin (turn on) until it reaches a certain threshold of heat or power usage (that apparently I haven't reached)? Or does my unit have a defective fan? To say the least I am baffled and amazed right now and would just like to know if this is normal for this unit.

Thanks in advance, Garrett

Hmmmm... That's what I thought. I'm really upset about having to go through an RMA process (takes forever) and I don't have anything else to use in its place (sold my old powersupply) and on top of that I don't feel that I should pay for return shipping for a defect that I didn't cause. I must say though, I'm truly amazed that this tx650 can maintain while playing games without a working fan to keep it cool, to say the least, it's a sturdy unit.

Archived