Corsair Community

Overriding Zero-RPM

lolvik

Hi there,

Is there any way to change how Zero-RPM works?

It seems to kick in whenever coolant-temp reaches ~35C. Which is ridiculous, since it'll hit that within minutes of boot just idling. Rendering the mode all basically useless.

Ramping up both pump and fans. Fans are fine, I suppose, since they're all but inaudible at 300RPM, pump on the other hand is not.

Trying to trick it by assigning to a dud MB-sensor doesn't work.

The main reason I went for the Corsair-cooler, was due to Zero-RPM, I want a silent system.

The cooler is an H150i PRO.

You have already hit upon the better means to this achieve your goal. Don't run Zero Fan mode. Set a really low fan curve. Even at 400 rpm you are getting much better heat dissipation than 0 and the noise is trivial. In fact, the noise may be beneficial. Most people prefer some light fan sound to things like pump hum and HDD clicking. If you take away all the fan noise, you get what's underneath. You may not like it.

• 2 months later...
In fact, the noise may be beneficial. Most people prefer some light fan sound to things like pump hum and HDD clicking. If you take away all the fan noise, you get what's underneath. You may not like it.

Dude, what the hell are you really saying?

OP came here with a specifc problem. It is exacly the same problem I am having also now. No, I don't want to hear the fan, I don't want to hear the hdd clicking (that is why I have all SSDs).

I understand you are trying to help, but, please show some respect to posters' wishes too.

It is also not kicking in at 35C coolant temp, but on 35C cpu temp!

What stupidness. Fan kicking in at 35C along with a pump set to full speed.

I have disconnected last fan too and set thermal shutdown at 60C. Tested, system powered off. Good.

My coolant temp stable at 28C after an hour of use. My core temps are 30-35C. I call it a day.

I understand this option is impractical for most people and situations. So other option is to set a low fan-curve as we have been doing before. Fans are irritating at anything over 380 rpm.

What a lame "zero-rpm" marketing scam.

Dude, what the hell are you really saying?

OP came here with a specifc problem. It is exacly the same problem I am having also now. No, I don't want to hear the fan, I don't want to hear the hdd clicking (that is why I have all SSDs).

I understand you are trying to help, but, please show some respect to posters' wishes too.

The only inappropriate comments are your's, chiming in two months after the fact and suggesting my intent was to insult the original poster. Completely and utterly ridiculous. I don't work for Corsair and I don't have to defend their products or explain their logic. We are all just other users who try and help people find solutions to making these things work in a useful way.

What I did suggest was leaving the fans in the lowest possible state, rather than use the zero fan mode which inevitably would kick on and off causing more disturbance than a steady low speed. It was my recommendation for the lowest possible noise for a normal user. The original poster had already resorted to this anyway.

• There is no way for you as the end user to alter the zero fan parameters so you are stuck with them. I am not withholding the secret means to make this work because I think my way is better.

• I did not preconceive your specific circumstances and needs two months prior to your thread detailing your requirements. This was not written for you nor would I have made the same statement to you and I don't consider your use typical of the average user. I would have simply said there is nothing you can do to alter the zero fan behavior. That's how it is - sorry.

• I did not try to convince you of the "error of your ways" in the other post. Not sure why you think I would do it here. You can use it anyway you like, except you can't change the zero fan mode behavior.

• Incidentally, other fans (including other Corsair PWM fans) will not work in zero rpm mode at all, so keep that in mind if you decide you want to make a fan change down the road.

c-attack, I know you are trying to help.

But for the love of God, pay attention to OP's problem instead of stating your own preconceptions. You can understand that he wants to get rid of the fan by trying to plug it into a dud sensor. People going through these steps are here for one thing, and one thing only: Silence.

There is a design flow with this and a marketing gimmick as well. They could have kept it at 45C for example and the fan (and the pump) would not be kicking it. That is the reason some of us chose this.

c-attack, I know you are trying to help.

But for the love of God, pay attention to OP's problem instead of stating your own preconceptions. You can understand that he wants to get rid of the fan by trying to plug it into a dud sensor. People going through these steps are here for one thing, and one thing only: Silence.

There is a design flow with this and a marketing gimmick as well. They could have kept it at 45C for example and the fan (and the pump) would not be kicking it. That is the reason some of us chose this.

Read the first bullet point above. Then read it again. Then call someone and have them read it to you. What on earth on are you trying to read into this?

It seems to kick in whenever coolant-temp reaches ~35C. Which is ridiculous, since it'll hit that within minutes of boot just idling. Rendering the mode all basically useless.

Correct and I agree. Alternative means suggested which OP is already doing. See below. Neither the OP nor myself can re-write the firmware or behavior for the cooler.

Ramping up both pump and fans. Fans are fine, I suppose, since they're all but inaudible at 300RPM, pump on the other hand is not.

Hmm... doesn't seem to be bothered by low fan speed (see definition: inaudible), but the pump sound is irritating. Agree there as well. Suggestion made to try and cover pump noise with more diffuse fan noise. Most people find this more pleasing. Obviously you can't run without the pump active. Removing the fans entirely might solve the problem, but if I had suggested that, he might think I was mocking him/her. Furthermore, the 35C kick in forces the pump to the highest speed, where if you were using a manual low fan curve and not the zero RPM mode, you could keep it at the "Quiet" 1100 rpm pump speed much longer. Another reason to set manual curves and not use the zero RPM mode.

The problem here is you seem to want to make my post about you and your needs. It's not. Nor is it a defense of the zero RPM mode and there are at least a dozen posts elsewhere in which I caution users about their expectations and the usefulness of the feature. If you would like to criticize Corsair for the manner in which it has been implemented, be my guest. I have nothing more to say about it. Had you only made post #5, I would not have felt the need to say anything. It is clear the zero rpm feature has a very low level of utility and I do not recommend it. Instead, you took the time to make an unwarranted, unnecessary, and utterly clueless personal attack. It's not welcome here and if you can't manage to control yourself, neither are you. Perhaps I am being overly harsh and it's hard to think with all that noise.

Dude, let it go.

We did not come here because we bought a product from you to hear your opinions on how it should operate.

We bought a Corsair product. And that product advertises a ZERO-RPM mode. That was the main reason I (and apparently OP) bought this product. It did not work as advertised, so I (we) are here. Understood?

My initial response was to your answer:

In fact, the noise may be beneficial. Most people prefer some light fan sound to things like pump hum and HDD clicking. If you take away all the fan noise, you get what's underneath. You may not like it.

This is an incorrect opinion. There is nothing beneficial about noise. We do not like to hear HDD clicking or fan pump or whatnot. This answer had no bearing to OP's problem or situation. If you do not want to be called upon your answers, then don't write them. In fact, try to understand what people's problems are prior to answering.

This is an incorrect opinion. There is nothing beneficial about noise. We do not like to hear HDD clicking or fan pump or whatnot. This answer had no bearing to OP's problem or situation. If you do not want to be called upon your answers, then don't write them. In fact, try to understand what people's problems are prior to answering.

You are a very strange human being. I am sure you have heard this before. The bold section says it all, although you reminded me of a particular children's book where the dialogue goes something like this:

"I want to fly."

"You can't fly."

"But I want to fly"

"You can't."

"YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO ME!"

Cartoon character puts palm to face.

If you would like to get Corsair's attention and gather support for changes to zero RPM system, I would suggest starting a new thread and make your points. I have nothing to add to it and I think I have made my opinion on the usefulness of the zero RPM mode quite clear. The problem here is you have gone from eccentric to bizarre and destroyed any credibility in the process. Make a new post and leave the peculiar personal attacks behind.

Hi there,

Trying to trick it by assigning to a dud MB-sensor doesn't work.

The main reason I went for the Corsair-cooler, was due to Zero-RPM, I want a silent system.

The cooler is an H150i PRO.

Actually, I found the solution. It is the Corsair Link not utilizing anything but H150i coolant temp. If you used CPU Package temp or stg similar, you did not in fact change anything and cooler is doing its own defaults.

It kicks in at 40C coolant temp which is perfect. You just need to set the probe as coolant temp. At 40C, it starts at 300 rpm. I did not see it going over 400 rpm.

Pump also stays at 1100 rpm when set to Quiet. It does not fluctuate.

Again, all problems because Link is only able to probe coolant temp.

I will take back my words that "zero-rpm" was a gimmick. It is working as intended, and it is great.

Archived