Corsair Community

Fans always running at running at full speed?

QCube

I could do with some help from the community because I don't know what else is causing this and it's really frustrating. My desktop sits on my desk as I have enough room for it and my 34" monitor, but for quite some time now I've noticed that my fans are always running at full speed even when temps are low.

I've seen Hardware monitor and look below.

OU0xkKy.png

Temps are all low apart from TMPIN4 which I have no idea what this corresponds to or how to locate what it means. Also to add to the frustration is one of the fans seem to have a bearing faulty which causes for a lot of noise when fans are running at speed. I have the profile set to 'Quiet' and as soon as I click 'Quiet' it goes virtually silent and then creeps back to it's normal loud noise.

Might I add CPU usage is low -

uEYyA9c.png

I also have the Hue+ installed inside my case which requires their CAM application being installed to control the LEDs within the case and their lighting profile, however this does come with added configuration for temps/fan speeds etc. I thought perhaps this software is conflicting with Corsair Link but I can't find anything on the settings about fan control or anything as such.

Anyone have any suggestions to get my PC quieter?

Thanks!

Link and CAM together should not be an issue. I have been running them concurrently for 6 months.

Can you load up some Link screen shots? Also, I get the fans are running too fast, but what fans are these? What are they connected to? That 2600+ rpm speed is very reminiscent of the SP120L on a H100i/v2, but you haven't stated. We need a bit more descriptive detail.

Link and CAM together should not be an issue. I have been running them concurrently for 6 months.

Can you load up some Link screen shots? Also, I get the fans are running too fast, but what fans are these? What are they connected to? That 2600+ rpm speed is very reminiscent of the SP120L on a H100i/v2, but you haven't stated. We need a bit more descriptive detail.

Some Link screenshots below - I might add I just noticed that Corsair Link has the 'Restore normal operation' button which I clicked and fans quieten down briefly, couple seconds later they're back at full speed and the 'Restore normal operation' button returns.

https://i.imgur.com/vmnq69u.png

https://i.imgur.com/KjiGHJ3.jpg

Sorry, I should have added, yes you are correct. I have the H100iGTX installed.

So if they are connected to a fan controller, how do you know what the speed is of the fans? A fan controller - and, specifically, the fan controller on the Phanteks cases - will only report the speed of one fan.

Now ... what is that fan controller connected to? And what kind of fans are we talking about here?

So if they are connected to a fan controller, how do you know what the speed is of the fans? A fan controller - and, specifically, the fan controller on the Phanteks cases - will only report the speed of one fan.

Now ... what is that fan controller connected to? And what kind of fans are we talking about here?

So the fan controller is powered by a power cable connected to the psu directly. It then takes a feed from the cpu header on the motherboard directly in to the fan controller. It then has separate feeds coming off of it that I'd assume come inline with the cpu pwm.

The fans connected are the exhaust on the back which is a standard 120 Phanteks fan supplied with the case. And then the front fan which is a 200mm fan mounted on the front of the case also supplied by Phanteks. These two go into the fan controller and fan controller into the cpu header on the motherboard. (3 pin)

Then I have the two corsair fans mounted on the radiator connected to each other (with an adapter) and they are then plugged into the 4pin header on the cpu.

Conflict is coming from using two cpu fan headers???

That Phanteks controller is a PWM hub that connects to DC fans ... so it's a PWM-to-DC converter.

What kind of fans are the Corsair fans? Are they the stock radiator fans? And are they the fans that are running faster than you would like?

The corsair fans are just stock radiator fans that came supplied with the H100iGTX and to be honest with you, I think the Corsair radiator fans are running quite smooth, quiet when idle, bumped up when louder, so I'm not sure where the 2600+ rpm comes from unless it is the Corsair fans and I have pointed the finger at the wrong fans...

The fans connected are the exhaust on the back which is a standard 120 Phanteks fan supplied with the case. And then the front fan which is a 200mm fan mounted on the front of the case also supplied by Phanteks. These two go into the fan controller and fan controller into the cpu header on the motherboard. (3 pin)

Then I have the two corsair fans mounted on the radiator connected to each other (with an adapter) and they are then plugged into the 4pin header on the cpu.

Conflict is coming from using two cpu fan headers???

You don't have two CPU fan headers. On an Asus board, you should have one CPU_FAN and one OPT_FAN header. The OPT header is a slave to the CPU fan. There are no controls and it runs the same as whatever you set CPU_FAN to do. Those two are really only useful when using a dual fan air tower or if running the two radiator fans from the motherboard directly. I am still uncertain if you have the radiator fans plugged into the pump, but since I can see them in the H100i GTX box, that likely means yes. As such, you must set the CPU fan header or whatever header is powering the H100i GTX to 100%/Full Speed in Q-fan. The cooler needs 12v at all times. You then change the speed in Link.

Given your coolant temp of 31C, the fans should not be at maximum for any of the presets. Click on the fan reading in the H100i GTX box to bring up the configure screen and see what it is programmed to do. I didn't think you could use CPU temp as the control variable for the GTX, but that is not what is meant to be used. Perhaps it is set to maximum for some reason.

Well, let's see if we can figure out exactly which fans are the problem. Try stopping them manually and see which ones drop to zero. :)

:) Already started it, I've removed the fan controller completely, plugged front 200mm fan into a chassis port #1 and plugged the exhaust fan into chassis fan #3 (I must of used the fan controller to make it look tider when I was building the PC not realising it's removed the flexibility I had over each fan).

On taking out the fan controller, I still have TMPIN4/5 being recorded at 100+ degrees which doesn't seem right to me at all (and is still putting all fans to 100%). - On the other side of things, I now know that the loud noise fan is one of the stock fans on the radiator. Working but a bearing must be gone inside the fan causing rattling noise.

Any other suggestions now that I have fans labelled up?

You don't have two CPU fan headers. On an Asus board, you should have one CPU_FAN and one OPT_FAN header. The OPT header is a slave to the CPU fan. There are no controls and it runs the same as whatever you set CPU_FAN to do. Those two are really only useful when using a dual fan air tower or if running the two radiator fans from the motherboard directly. I am still uncertain if you have the radiator fans plugged into the pump, but since I can see them in the H100i GTX box, that likely means yes. As such, you must set the CPU fan header or whatever header is powering the H100i GTX to 100%/Full Speed in Q-fan. The cooler needs 12v at all times. You then change the speed in Link.

Given your coolant temp of 31C, the fans should not be at maximum for any of the presets. Click on the fan reading in the H100i GTX box to bring up the configure screen and see what it is programmed to do. I didn't think you could use CPU temp as the control variable for the GTX, but that is not what is meant to be used. Perhaps it is set to maximum for some reason.

Gotcha! You're correct saying the two fans are taken to the pump and then there is a feed taken back out which I've now plugged into the CPU_FAN instead of the slave. - I've gone into Corsair link and the 'performance' and 'balanced' profiles both are working properly, I changed to the 'quiet' profile and all fans are set to 100%? So I created a new profile labelled 'Quiet Profile1' and set the H100i GTX fan in there to the quiet mode and that seems to be holding the fans at a low speed (much better).

I still have the massive increase on temp on one of the sensors which I'm still not sure what it's related to and probably why my fans are throttling when CPU/GPU are at low temps -

Take a look at this

https://i.imgur.com/hUQcqo2.png

You can see now all my fans are running on a low RPM so it's nice and quiet, you see that the CPU temps are nice and low also but I still have this TMPIN4 and TMPIN5 which are 100+ degrees? Is that supposed to be right? :dunno:

I can't say what the TMPIN 4 and 5 are, but it is not uncommon to have wacky temp peak readings when running multiple monitoring programs. Corsair Link will do this on occassion. I am running HWINFO64 right now and it says my Commander Pro temp probe #2 hit 121.7C in the last 10 minutes. It is warm today, but I am quite sure the air temp in my case in not over 100C.

I don't use CPUID and the programming needed for these tools is even more out of my depth, so I can't give more guidance on that. However, whenever something looks fishy, close it out and monitor with something else to see if it repeats. I genuine problem would be present in all and that still leave room for a possible motherboard sensor error or other less harmful explanation. Not too many things on the board will reach 71C in any circumstances.

I can't say what the TMPIN 4 and 5 are, but it is not uncommon to have wacky temp peak readings when running multiple monitoring programs. Corsair Link will do this on occassion. I am running HWINFO64 right now and it says my Commander Pro temp probe #2 hit 121.7C in the last 10 minutes. It is warm today, but I am quite sure the air temp in my case in not over 100C.

I don't use CPUID and the programming needed for these tools is even more out of my depth, so I can't give more guidance on that. However, whenever something looks fishy, close it out and monitor with something else to see if it repeats. I genuine problem would be present in all and that still leave room for a possible motherboard sensor error or other less harmful explanation. Not too many things on the board will reach 71C in any circumstances.

I suppose it's worth mentioning here since I've found an update. I've just gone into the bios to take a look at q-fan and have a look over all my settings and I've stumbled across the Intel adaptive thermal monitoring setting which I have enabled (obviously) but I assume this is to protect the CPU by decreasing the CPU frequency when it reaches the thermal throttle point. TM1 (Thermal monitor 1), TM2 (Thermal monitor 2) and so forth including EMTTM (enhanced multi threaded thermal monitoring).

I'm gonna go with the fact I have a fault CPU thermal monitor on #4 and #5 but as long as they don't overrule PWM from C/link then I shouldn't run into any more issues (other than having to replace a loud broken fan lol).

Archived