Corsair Community

Corsair Link v4.2.3.41 - HDDs won't spin down problem

doudar

Hello guys,

I use corsair link for Corsair H80i GT

I have 1 SSD for system and 2 secondary HDDs, usually my 2 HDDs spin down after 20mins or inactivity but since the latest update they dont spin down anymore they are always running.

Have anyone experienced this problem?

i Confirm again v4.2.3.41 is the reason my HDDs wont sleep after 20mins of inactivity.

I downloaded Process Monitor and tracked all processes pinging my secondary HDDs and i found "corsair link 4.service" pinging all my HDDs every couple of seconds and after removing the last version and going back to the previous version all my HDDs now spin down normally with no issues... plz fix

any comment!?

I suspect CL4 is using SMART to read the drive temperature and this is what triggers the spin-ups.

I get the same effect in my software and my solution was to allow the user to set a minimum interval for polling.

Not everyone needs or cares to know their HDD temps at every waking moment. Corsair should allow exclusion of hardware components by user's choice so it will not be polled. Problem solved. This has been very irritating for as it ruins the basic principle of my silent-oriented build.

They should make it optional, want to see live temp? then your drives will be up all time.. this for that.

and who cares about their live temp for HDDs.. i mean all they care about is a regular check up for HDDs every couple months through crystal mark or HDD tune or a similar programs.

I'm new here and registered for that HDD issue.

After update the lastest version of Corsair link, one of my HDD knocks every 7 seconds. Tried to close all apps at background, noticed to issue with Corsair link.

If i close corsair link, hdd stops to knocking. Please check that.

Thanks.

No official response in 10+ days == Corsair doesn't seem to care. Regardless if it's being worked on or not is not the point, acknowledgement of the issue is. Perhaps their software dept. may learn this some day. For now I'm uninstalling this crapware as all it will do is reduce the life of my HDD's with unnecessary amounts of polling.

• 4 weeks later...

I did some asking around and there is a flag in the CPUID SDK init, by default it wakes disks up so all they need to do it tell it not to.

This should stop the disks spinning up, but if they are spinning there is no way to control the polling rate which is every 5 seconds.

As CL4 polls the disks every 5 seconds then they may not spin down if CL4 is active, so I feel CL4 needs to be able to set a per disk drive Minimum SMART polling interval which is what I implemented in my software.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue. Luckily you can change your settings in CL and it saves if you exit but.. you cannot use it for temperature testing without dealing with this issue. I cannot believe the issue exists for months already. I paid over 100 bucks for this cooler and it seems like the fix is probably relatively easy.

I bet they need to be tagged on twitter a bunch and theyll fix it.

#corsair #FixYourSoftware

This issue doesnt exist with 4.2.2.27 version.. thats why i been stuck with it for many months now because it works fine.
05/11/2016 - Corsair Link Software Update Version 4.2.3.41

Changelog:

• Addressed instances where the HDD/SSD were not updating temperature readouts in UI.

I expect the above fix triggered this with Corsair Link v4.2.3.41

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is a quick fix...

Install CL4 v4.2.2.27.

Copy cpuidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll from CL4 directory.

Uninstall/install or update to CL4 current version.

Paste cpuidsdk.dll and cpuidsdk64.dll from v4.2.2.27 into new or updated CL4 directory.

This solves the constant polling of the hdds and you retain the features and functionality of the newest version of CL. However, hdds temps are not updated, hence why CL was updated.

have anyone check if the problem still exist with the new v4.5.0.55 ?

I am 99% sure it will as CL 4.5.0.55 comes with the same cpuidsdk.dll as CL 4.3.0.154 which is why it fails to support Kaby Lake.

It's all really quite depressing as I suspect all Corsair need to do to address this is to add an option to control if CPUIDSDK_CONFIG_WAKEUP_HDD should be specified when the CPUID SDK is initialled. I am at a loss as to why they have not provided this.

Programs such as the CPUID HWM utility have the hwmonitorw.ini which contains as below. With that all you need to do is change the line to be USE_SMART=0 and disk temperatures will no longer be reported and the issue will be gone. Corsair should provide similar, ideally a couple of extra check boxes on Settings.

The smart solution for SMART would be to do as SIV does.

[HWMonitor]
VERSION=1.3.0.1
USE_ACPI=1
USE_SMBUS=1
USE_SMART=1
USE_DISPLAY=1
CPU_0_TJMAX=84.0
UPDATES=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=27788&stc=1&d=1487165981

RCK.png.d7cbf56dff153181a3e5cdd7f7e96352.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I could see my samsung SSD and both of my HDD's today before I updated... but then I did the update to 48.8.0.82 and now I can not see #2 & #3 HDD's? Maybe they just disabled ability to see HDD's to fix Clicking noise power up issues on HDD's ??

Since I just installed #2 & #3 Hard drives today, I do not know if they were powering up & clicking? I have no reference to compare... So it is like 95 in Seattle and my fans are going.. so I can not here the HDD's in my Silent DIY Box.. so I guess I will wait till it cools down.. and then see how the HDD's fire up. I have them set up on a software Raid.. So I have heard thet the WD Red 8 TBs can be loud? I certainly dont want tit to fire up MORE often than the WD scanning already does.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to congratulate the corsairlink development team for ignoring this issue for ..... um , 2-3 years . I removed CL a year ago after i discovered it was constantly polling an expensive WD black drive wich made it go up and down so many times it broke. It wasnt until I put a new replacement in which was a little louder that I found what was waking it up and doing a hard poll (causing a seek to happen) every minute .

I removed CL and got rid of the problem.

Today I thought, lets see, did they take in the simple advice from experienced customers on this forum/thread and fix this .... no

So, well done corsair, as an IT professional myself of 35 years in the industry I can assure you no further purchase of any of your pc bits .

Must go, just de-installing the latest version of CLINK.

bye !

• Corsair Employee

Just out of curiosity, does the same thing occur when you use HWMonitor? What about AIDA64?

As a sidenote, this is the first time I've ever heard of hardware polling causing a hard drive to break. Polling shouldn't cause an HDD to spin up.

We use CPUID's SDK for Corsair Link; if you have the problem with HWMonitor but not AIDA64, then that's something we can look into. But this is the first I have ever heard of this problem.

Archived