Corsair Community

Corsair Vengeance 1500 volume WAY too loud

nmarks

Hey guys,

I have just bought the corsair vengeance 1500 headset and the volume is way too loud. Anything above 1% volume is just ear splitting.

I've tried reinstalling the drivers (latest from the website, 2.0.7) and I've disabled my onboard sound, tried all different USB ports on my computer and I just can't figure out what the problem is :(

I would really like more control over my volume, at the moment I'm stuck using this:

asdsdasd.png.aeefcb1a773bdbb3031a3dd8c5528c13.png

I also have this problem. This renders the volume adjusting buttons almost useless since going above 1% isn't needed and anything below that is dead silence.

All Windows (7 64-bit) enhancements are disabled and using the newest 2.0.7 drivers on my 1500.

Install previous 1.1 drivers for now. They are lookin in the issue.

"Version 1.1 headset drivers are now available for the HS1 and Vengeance 1500 gaming headsets. These drivers are compatible with all Windows operating systems.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Be sure to follow these steps when installing the new driver:

Remove the current Corsair headset driver

Restart Windows

Install the new ver 1.1 driver

Restart Windows.

*PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL LOSE ANY SAVED EQUALIZER PROFILES AS A RESULT OF UPGRADING*"

Win 8 installation notes for 1.1 driver! http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111795

http://www.corsair.com/en/media/cms/drivers/v1500driver_1-1_1.exe

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue, I have to keep the volume way way down. I love corsair products but I nearly returned my 1500s because when I first connected them and tried them with a game the shotgun sounded like someone blowing a raspberry. It made me feel like I'd made a mistake in buying them over my old analog set which were okay, I just wanted the surround for a better experience.

I have Win8 PRO 64-bit. I didn't have any issue, at least that I know of installing the 1.1 driver but I didn't see a console until I grabbed the 2.0.7 download from the Vengeance 2000 page. Is that why you need to run the 1.1 install in compatibility mode? When I run the installation it shows all the files being installed, but when it's done I am not sure what happened.

I get the feeling that the initial settings are too high, it's driven to the point of clipping. I hope that a patch comes out.

Incidentally, how do I verify that it's in fact using the v1.1 driver. When I check in the device properties it shows me 1.0.0.

Having recently purchased the 1500 (which are fantastic by the way) I also have this issue. I loaded the 2.0.7 driver before it was pulled and I understand Corsair are looking into this (hence having pulled the driver from the download section of the 1500's webpage).

@RAM GUY - I suspect its a case of being patient, but a status update wouldn't go amiss. Working in a consumer environment I know that customers appreciate the regular provision of information, even if its only to say 'we're still looking into it'. Its amazing how long people are prepared to wait even when there is nothing to update them with, as long as you keep them informed that your still looking....

Last night I attached my 1500s to my Win7 laptop, tried the v1.1 drivers, no issues with sound level or quality and I saw that my installation of v1.1 on Win8 was in fact halting abruptly because this time on Win7 it completed. Since I didn't know what to expect on Win8 I didn't realize it didn't install. Still however, the console utility doesn't run automatically after install and doesn't seem to sit in the systray, that could be normal behavior I don't know.

In any case after upgrading to the 2.0.7 version, on the same Win7 laptop, it does sit in the systray and launch after install, plus there is no issue with the volume. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of putting Windows 7 on my Gaming PC, it was a nice $30 upgrade to Win8 Pro from Vista so I have no Win7 license for it. So I'll have to keep the volume low, which works fine but doesn't give me much more than two stops of control before it starts clipping.

@Sinistercr0c Interesting that they had the 2.0.7 driver on the Vengeance 1500 page and pulled it. I just thought they omitted it and I grabbed it from the Vengeance 2000 page. They should have left a note about that, so can I assume that officially the v1.1 driver is the only supported driver at the moment for Win8? I'll have to try installing it with the compatibility workaround and see if that cures the sound volume issue.

I usually fix this problem by changing the Source Type and EQ a few times and lowering all of them to below 0dB. (I just used Audiophile 1 or 2 and lowered each one several times to match, but at a lower sound).

So it's like:

1. turn on computer, test sound (it doesn't always do this problem)

2. if really loud, change source type to 5.1 or 2.0 (since I use 7.1) then back again.

3. change to a different EQ preset a few times.

4. test sound again. If it still doesn't work, move a single EQ slider thing up or down.

The always fixes it for me. Now putting it up to 50%+ volume is like the 1% it was at. I guess doing all that and moving the slider finally updates the program to what settings I actually have it on :/

Sidenote: surround sound doesn't seem to affect it.

This morning I tried playing around with fixing this, the best solution I found was to to set my EQ settings into the negative. Reversed the setting to -15db and below. Now I have a good volume range from 1% all the way to 100% without it blowing out my eardrums.

I take back what I said.

I recently formatted my computer. Installed the 2.0.7 drivers (not 1.1) because I think they're better than the old ones.

As before the volume is really loud. By default the headset is so loud, I can hear the Windows logon sound like I have normal desktop speakers. I feel like they will bust if I forget to lower the sound and play some music or a random video. I just realized, the loudness is comparable to the default Windows drivers (i.e. 2% volume is too loud).

I said before, you need to change the settings in the control panel to 'update' the sound. This worked for me for a while. Now, suddenly, the volume is very loud like before. Without changing any settings and only adjusting the volume like normal, the sound increases back to its 2% is too loud.

I kept trying my own method, which had always worked, to reduce the default loud sound... It never worked. What did work though was... Corsair V2000 Distortion Workaround thread. Turning on Bass Management reduced the overall, overbearing sound. Basically: 2% -> 25% max volume for me. Maybe this will help someone else who wants to use 2.0.7 drivers while we all wait for the next drivers update to never be released. While you guys are at it, remove the flashing mute button. It's so very annoying. Keep it solid red.

TL;DR this guy was right

Right click speaker bottom Right... Playback Devices... Right Click Headset and click Properties... Click Enhancements... have a play around with Settings in there.

I went back to the v1.1 drivers on my Win 8 Pro 64-bit rig, installed using win7 compatibility with administrative rights and they work fine.

Tip for Teamspeak3 users, use the playback setting for mono to center speakers it makes voices in comms sound natural as they did with my old analog headset.

• 9 months later...

I've found a fix that seems to work for me on my computer:

1: Go to control panel and select 'Sound' from the options available (you may need to set your view to small icons).

2: Select the 'Playback' tab and right click on your Corsair Speakers in the list of playback devices. You will need to select 'Properties' from the dropdown menu. Alternatively you can just highlight your speakers and select the 'Properties' tab at the bottom of the window.

2: Once the 'Properties' window has appeared, navigate to the Advanced tab on the top right.

3: Under 'Default Format', select the option "16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)" from the dropdown menu.

4: Test your headset to see if the volume levels are more manageable.

I was fiddling with the options in the dropdown menu while listening to some music (at 2% volume, which was almost ear splitting) when I noticed that there were two seperate options for 48000 HZ available. One was "16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)" and the other was "16bit, 48000 Hz". The default selected format was "16bit, 48000 Hz". I changed this to the DVD Quality option and straight away there was a huge difference. Where 2% volume was ear splitting before, it was now almost silent. I was able to go up 100% volume without the speakers distorting in the process.

I do not know if this will work for everyone, but I'd thought that it'd be worth sharing my solution with you all. Best of luck! :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
I've found a fix that seems to work for me on my computer:

1: Go to control panel and select 'Sound' from the options available (you may need to set your view to small icons).

2: Select the 'Playback' tab and right click on your Corsair Speakers in the list of playback devices. You will need to select 'Properties' from the dropdown menu. Alternatively you can just highlight your speakers and select the 'Properties' tab at the bottom of the window.

2: Once the 'Properties' window has appeared, navigate to the Advanced tab on the top right.

3: Under 'Default Format', select the option "16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)" from the dropdown menu.

4: Test your headset to see if the volume levels are more manageable.

I was fiddling with the options in the dropdown menu while listening to some music (at 2% volume, which was almost ear splitting) when I noticed that there were two seperate options for 48000 HZ available. One was "16bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)" and the other was "16bit, 48000 Hz". The default selected format was "16bit, 48000 Hz". I changed this to the DVD Quality option and straight away there was a huge difference. Where 2% volume was ear splitting before, it was now almost silent. I was able to go up 100% volume without the speakers distorting in the process.

I do not know if this will work for everyone, but I'd thought that it'd be worth sharing my solution with you all. Best of luck! :biggrin:

What version of the driver are you using?

• 3 weeks later...

Yep.. just going to throw my hat in the ring here and say that in addition to the crashes and lock ups the headphones experience, mine are also WAY too loud. But in my case if I try and change any settings in the control panel it crashes the Control Panel applet.

If you're using Windows 8.1 I wouldn't recommend these headphones at all.

• 3 months later...
Has there been any update on this issue? I just bought a set of the Vengeance 1500, and 1% is too loud. I'm running the Mavericks OS on a 2011 MacBook Pro. I have to nudge the volume down to just below 1%, but above completely muting my microphone, to get the volume to an acceptable level. Even then, it's sometimes too loud.

I'm using Windows 8.1

When I look at the Information on the Corsair Headset Control Panel

(by pressing the little "i" on the top bar)

It says

Corsair Headset Software Version: 2.0.26

Audio Driver Version: 1.0.0.27

Audio Controller: Corsair Vengeance 1500 Headset

Does anyone know if that is correct?

I thought the audio Driver would be 2.0.26 also.

I've been watching this thread since I bought my 1500v2 headphones in May 2014. At the time Corsair were "working as fast as they could" on a fix to this issue, and had been since April 2013.

I figured a fix had to be out soon, if they'd been working on it so hard for so long. Alas, still no fix and the issue has been around for at least 18 months now.

Safe to say I will never purchase any Corsair equipment again. Such an extended time with no fix is simply not acceptable.

I got things to work...sort of.

I called tech support and they said it sounded like I had a defective headset. I tried it on an older MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, and the problem was still there. I couldn't even lower the volume past a certain point on that computer while the headset was plugged in.

Then I plugged the headset into a Windows 8 computer. The volume was still too loud. Then I installed the most recent drivers. After that, I couldn't adjust the volume. The volume control software on the computer stopped responding. After restarting the volume control software, I could adjust the volume again. The volume was no longer too loud, even when I set it above 1%.

I'm not sure whether to say I have a defective headset or not. This headset is not officially supported on Mac OS X. Fair enough; I can't ding them for their choice not to support Mac OS X. The initial volume glitch after I installed the most recent drivers on Windows 8 was a little concerning, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived