The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Memory

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 170012
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Thanks for the links. I like keeping abreast of things like this as we buy LOTS of puter gear. But, I still like what I have seen of the 16mb cache on the Maxtors. I'm going to try one so, wish me luck.

Mike.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:23 PM

POST ID # = 170061
OneyedK Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to OneyedK

Good Luck!
Handle it with care

And make sure it's got enough airflow.

We only can see the number of rma's ompared to WD's, Hitachis (formerly IBM disks and producing less heat) and Seagates (more quiet, but a little slower), not how people treated those disks or in what kinda cases they were mounted.

Ah yes, and back to topic, Fugger posted on xtremesystems that he tested the P5AD2 E Premium with Corsair 5400XMS PRO...
And guess what: No problems whatsoever.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...8&page=1&pp=25

Good to know, can't wait until my board arrives

Old 01-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned

POST ID # = 170073
Yellowbeard Reputation: 46

Quote:
Good Luck! Handle it with care
And make sure it's got enough airflow.
Hehe thanks...I am fan central, I go for performance and cool, not quiet. Our video lab sounds like there is a leaf blower outside.

And, from what I have seen, FUGGER puts gear thru the wringer. So, if it got his stamp of approval, it should be OK.

L8R, Mike.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:48 PM
DVDMike's PC Specs

POST ID # = 170125
DVDMike Reputation: 10
Question Memory and P5AD2-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneyedK
From what I've read, I'd recommend using 2 sticks of premium quality 512Mb DDR2 sticks... I don't know the applications you are running, but 1G at tight timings will give you better performance than 2G with loose timings...

Also from what I've read, a lot of people are experiencing problems with 1Gig sticks from different makes (OCZ) so I guess that's a bios or chipset (wich would be worse) issue

If you really need 2Gigs of RAM, using 4*512Mb is not an option either, since you'll lose the dual-channel advantage (not possible to solve that with bios update, it's a design-error in the 925x and 925xe chipset)...

Anyway, the board is the best on the market but it's still young, so let's hope the guys at ASUS do their homework and make sure they support good 1G sticks in the future... It's worth waiting for ;-)

Rest of your rig seems well balanced...
--> change the CNPS7000cu to CNPS7700cu (big difference)
--> stay away from the Maxtor 300Gig disks (Maxtor is ok until 160Gb, above that, lot of rma) Hitachi and Seagate are more silent and more durable in such big capacities...
--> I can't tell you anything about the aspire (not the case, not the psu) but make absolutely sure that the case has enough airflow... Intels are great bu hot beasts and you disks and burners will also produce some heat...

Hope to have more info by the end of the week, my P5AD2 E Premium can arrive any day now...
Hmmmmmmmm....... Don't know what to do about the memory--maybe someone will test and post about 1G/2G memory sticks and this motherboard before I actually buy! Hope so. As to the Maxtors, I dunno--I ran a BBS for 13 years (pre-internet), and the last 6 of them had a Maxtor 1.2G drive that worked, and worked, and worked, and worked, and.... Can't say anything bad about 'em. And I have a friend who (now) has (I think) 4 of the 250M variants, and is quite happy with them (and they run pretty much 24/7). The Maxtor 300G drives have been reviewed quite highly, and given the fact that I had a Maxtor that worked for 6 straight years (might still work--haven't had that computer operating lately), and the fact that my friend is quite happy with his, I may just go ahead and try the 300G drives. Now, about the case--the power supply OUGHT to be good enough (34A on the +12V rail), but I guess I'll find out. It ought to be cool enough, too, since it comes with 5 fans, and has lots of room inside! Reviews on it have said it's loud, but it runs quite cool (and that's what I'm looking for--quiet would be nice, but cool is NECESSARY!) On the subject of cooling, I'll substitute the Zalman 7700 series for the 7000 series, but I'll probably stick with copper (don't plan on moving the case much). I still gotta figure out the memory, though! Oh, and the reason for the big storage and memory is that one of the cards that also will be installed is ATI's HDTV Wonder, and since recording high-definition signals requires a LOT of room.....

Old 01-26-2005, 05:07 AM

POST ID # = 170156

"Also from what I've read, a lot of people are experiencing problems with 1Gig sticks from different makes (OCZ) so I guess that's a bios or chipset (wich would be worse) issue" --> I quote myself here...

In the meantime, those so called "problems" appear to be lesser overclock results... So I f you need 2Gigs (indeed rendering etc.) go for one twinx kit...
TWIN2X1024-5400C4
At DDR533, simply feed them 2.1Volts and set timings to 3-3-2-8-4
Ram Guy didn't object to that voltage (he didn't react) so I guess it's ok,
they are running for five days in a row at that voltage and don't seem to get hot, so I guess they like it ;-)

Personally, I don't like the so called "Pro" series, they just seem to consume more power, have fancy displays and cost more

Old 01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
DVDMike's PC Specs

POST ID # = 170334
Question 1GB or 2GB?

Quote:
In the meantime, those so called "problems" appear to be lesser overclock results... So I f you need 2Gigs (indeed rendering etc.) go for one twinx kit...
TWIN2X1024-5400C4
At DDR533, simply feed them 2.1Volts and set timings to 3-3-2-8-4
Ram Guy didn't object to that voltage (he didn't react) so I guess it's ok,
they are running for five days in a row at that voltage and don't seem to get hot, so I guess they like it ;-)

According to what I can find out, that's a 1G stick--are you saying I should get two of those kits for 2GB? And wouldn't that 925XE chipset bug get me there, too, with putting in 4 512MB sticks? That was the reason I was thinking of the VS2GBKIT533D2 package--two 1GB sticks, thus getting 2GB without running into that chipset bug.....

Old 01-27-2005, 04:25 AM

POST ID # = 170398

TWIN2X1024-5400C4 is a 2*1Gig (dual channel) kit, so I guess we came to the very same conclusion...

And I'm not sure, but it seems that the 4*512Mb problem narrows down to the first revision of the 925x chippies. I don't have some extra DDR2 sticks, otherwise I'd be glad to test it myself.

Difficult part is that we consider "Dual Channel" to be only "Dual Channnel Interleaved", since it gives us a performance benefit.
If you put in four sticks, and the chipset switches back to "Dual Channel Assymetric", you'll loose the performance benefit of what we call "Dual channel", but you still have the advantage of "more memory installed".
And memory speed is stiill loads faster than swapping to harddrives.

I came across one P4C800 E Deluxe with the exact same problem. Same bios and memory as with other P4C800's, but cpu-z says NO dual channel.
Memtest86 v3.2 says "Assymetric mode".
My guess is that Intel had a similar problem with the early 875P chippies.
And I only had one siingle board with that problem (all the others gave me "interleaved mode")

Sad thing is, as an end user, how can I know if my board has a "good" revision of the 925x(e) chip. I could look at the numbers and ask Intel for comments. But it would not be a reason to rma the board... ASUS keeps quiet about Interleaved and Assymetric modes in it's description and manuals of the motherboard.

Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed since my board will arrive one of those days. I certainly hope the 925x problems are long gone, and the things I'm writing here are (very) old news. Just to be sure, I will populate my board with two sticks... But I'll try four as soon as I get my hands on a second twinx-kit...

Old 01-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 170400
Wired Reputation: 32

WRONG! Twin2X1024-5400C4

It's 2x512 sticks.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 01-27-2005, 05:24 AM
DVDMike's PC Specs

POST ID # = 170417
Important Chipsets, motherboards, and memory

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2329
Quote:
TWIN2X1024-5400C4 is a 2*1Gig (dual channel) kit, so I guess we came to the very same conclusion...

And I'm not sure, but it seems that the 4*512Mb problem narrows down to the first revision of the 925x chippies. I don't have some extra DDR2 sticks, otherwise I'd be glad to test it myself.

Sad thing is, as an end user, how can I know if my board has a "good" revision of the 925x(e) chip. I could look at the numbers and ask Intel for comments. But it would not be a reason to rma the board... ASUS keeps quiet about Interleaved and Assymetric modes in it's description and manuals of the motherboard.

Anyway, I keep my fingers crossed since my board will arrive one of those days. I certainly hope the 925x problems are long gone, and the things I'm writing here are (very) old news. Just to be sure, I will populate my board with two sticks... But I'll try four as soon as I get my hands on a second twinx-kit...

I meant that the TWIN2X1024-5400C4 was a 1GB KIT--and (as mentioned in another post, by Wired), it's two 512M sticks, so 2GB (4x512M) would then wake up that nasty chipset bug. As to the chipset--now I'm wondering whether to wait a little while. I saw over on AnandTech some interesting stuff that Intel is supposedly coming out with (64-bit-enabled processors, 945 and 955 chipsets), and am thinking that maybe they got it right in those chipsets! I'm not waiting for the dual-core chips (although I'd really like to have one), but those chipsets DO support dual-core, so it might just make sense for me to wait (as long as it's not a LONG wait!) for the 955 chipset to appear. The article can be seen at AnandTech's site. And, yes, I wish Intel and ASUS would be more forthright about the problems (although ASUS does mention it in a roundabout way in the manual--"Due to chipset resource allocation, the system may detect less than 4GB system memory when you install four 1GB DDR2 memory modules"). Here's hoping that the wait isn't a long one....

Last edited by DVDMike; 01-27-2005 at 05:46 AM.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:15 PM

POST ID # = 170449

Oops, you were right about the TWIN2X1024-5400C4 kit
It's only 1Gig... (I doublechecked and that's actually the kit I have myself)

Maybe you should check the 2Gigs kit... Or ask your computer reseller if he can give you a demonstration...

Would be mighty nice of Ram Guy to stop by and simply say that VS2GBKIT533D2 in combination with P5AD2 E Deluxe are 100% compatible.
Or, if not, say what the disadvantages are.

We, end users, should not even be discussing this

Btw, If you can wait until next week, I'll do the test with two TWIN2X1024-5400C4 (4*512Mb) myself and will post the results here.

And thanks for the link to that article!!!

Last edited by OneyedK; 01-27-2005 at 12:18 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:41 PM
DVDMike's PC Specs

POST ID # = 170543

Quote:
Maybe you should check the 2Gigs kit... Or ask your computer reseller if he can give you a demonstration...

Would be mighty nice of Ram Guy to stop by and simply say that VS2GBKIT533D2 in combination with P5AD2 E Deluxe are 100% compatible.
Or, if not, say what the disadvantages are.

Btw, If you can wait until next week, I'll do the test with two TWIN2X1024-5400C4 (4*512Mb) myself and will post the results here.

And thanks for the link to that article!!!

I'd like to get a demo, but it's difficult for me to get out to a reseller (I'm a paraplegic, due to an auto accident a couple of years ago). That's one reason I'm so thankful for the Internet! As to Ram Guy, it's possible he simply doesn't know at this point--but "his" configurator says the 2GB kit is compatible. Since the configurator says yes and the manual for the P5AD2-E says no (doesn't support 128M chips), that's why I'm confused! The ASUS website's list of compatible RAM doesn't list any 2G kits that are compatible, and I don't recall seeing any Corsair RAM over 512M that ASUS says is compatible.

I'll definitely be waiting at least another week, since I hope to see Intel releasing their 945/955 chipsets (and ASUS and others producing motherboards that use them), so I'll look forward to seeing your results. I almost wish I hadn't seen that article on AnandTech (and you're entirely welcome for the link), but the promise of getting a motherboard that's compatible with (upcoming) dual-core chips is irresistible, not to mention the hope that this probable bug in having 4 sticks recognized as only 3 gets fixed--and the 955 chipset supposedly supports 8GB of memory! Decisions, decisions....

Old 01-28-2005, 06:53 AM

POST ID # = 170643
Setsunayaki Reputation: 10

since this thread has something to do with power supplies, I have something for you.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

This is often overlooked. Save the page to your hard drive and use it as a reference.

I must let you know that when a power supply reads 400 watts....that is simply maximun outout. Power works differently, As a general rule, if you ever are using max power, that is a danger and you are close to an overload. Safe levels are supposed to be at 80% or below. Above 80% you are going overboard. If you use max power and your system spikes, you are responsible. when the supply goes and fries your system.

If your system were to consume 400 watts, consider buying a 500 - 550 watt supply. Overworking your supply shortens its lifespan and leaves you open for grief, same with memory, just because it reads 2-2-2-5 does not mean it will run stable on those settings. Think before you leap always.

The values on the link are values of consumptiom at full load for that piece of hardware. Good luck

Old 01-28-2005, 08:15 AM
DVDMike's PC Specs

POST ID # = 170649
Default Power Supply estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsunayaki
since this thread has something to do with power supplies, I have something for you.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

This is often overlooked. Save the page to your hard drive and use it as a reference.

The values on the link are values of consumptiom at full load for that piece of hardware. Good luck

Another website to check out is http://www.challenge-my.com/goopsulator/ . Same idea, just another reference...

Last edited by DVDMike; 01-28-2005 at 08:17 AM. Reason: To dump signature this time

Old 01-29-2005, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 170915
Wired Reputation: 32

Nice links guys!
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)

Old 01-31-2005, 05:01 PM

POST ID # = 171254
Thermaltake Reputation: 10
Happy Problems noted

Dear All,

We here have taken down notes of these problems that you have been having with Thermaltake power supplies. Please bear with us while we investigate into these issues.