Corsair Community

Corsair 500D Refresh

Max15King

Noticed in the link of the youtube video below that this 500D SE does not have the side panel slots. Has the case been refreshed with these slots removed as they are an eyesore and have any other changes been implemented?

What is the new model number for the refreshed 500D and is it already available?

[ame=

]
[/ame]

The case in the link you supplied still has the slots for a slide on side panel, please see the case in the youtube video that no longer has these slots.

I want to know if the case has been refreshed with these slots removed and if so what is the new model number for the refreshed 500D not the SE model.

Sorry if my post was not understood.

I think there is no new version, they have changed some details under production only. If you buy a case it will be a lottery if you got slides or not. I have a 500D SE case and i have slots. Edited by Krokarn
Change text

I think there is no new version, they have changed some details under production only. If you buy a case it will be a lottery if you got slides or not. I have a 500D SE case and i have slots.

Thanks for the reply, would be nice to find out for sure.

Is there a Corsair forum member that could confirm this?

I don't think they would have separate SKUs for this. Most likely a small change in the tooling. As it doesn't impact performance and is a aesthetic change that is hidden behind a panel, I think I agree with Krokarn. Any box with a newer production date would most likely not have these slide on panel mounting holes.

I thought it might be early engineering samples, though I have looked on imgur and it seems like even some consumer's PCs have these holes.

That's actually super annoying. Why is Corsair so cheap and lazy with all of their products?

The 570X actually does not have slotting because it appears that chassis was original but the 500D which was adapter from that, seems to have it, on both the non SE and SE version. Makes you wonder if the 500D was originally going to just have regular side panels before they decided to switch it up with a hinging "door".

I found more evidence that these slots have been removed on the newer cases, looks so much better especially with LED fans, see link below.

Can a Corsair member please confirm the date of manufacture on the cases from when this change has been implemented and is it also changed on the standard 500D?

It seems like the top section of the case was sourced from the 450D which has slide on side panels but really does not look good on the 500D which has full glass side panels through which the slots can be seen, should never have been released this way on an Obsidian line premium case IMHO.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/JDTBD3

• 4 weeks later...

Another video showing a 500D without the slot holes for a slide on side panel.

Still no comment from a Corsair forum member or employee, I just want to know the manufacturing date from which the 500D cases no longer have the slots so I can purchase one without them.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

• 1 month later...
Depends on where you get it from and how much stock they had. I bought mine a couple months ago and it has the slots. And they are as ugly as one thinks.

I just went to my local Frys and they had one in stock. They were nice enough to open it up so that I could check -- sure enough, it had the slots. Super annoying...

I was thinking about using an LED strip to cover the holes from the inside. Do you think that would be an appropriate place for a strip? Is the glass tinted enough to where the black backside of the strip showing through the holes won't be an eyesore against the gray metal?

The glass is fairly dark, and I did exactly that, placed an led strip on the inside. It mostly hides the slots but I can see some of the light through the small cracks now.

Hmm, sounds like the sort of thing maybe a strip of electrical tape applied under the LED strip might fix?

I'm going to buy this case (500D SE), but I don't understand what you mean by "the slot holes for a slide on side panel". Where are these slot holes? Could you highlight/circle this in the photo?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Thanks, now I see.

Today I went to several stores, cases had the slots :(

Get some carbon fiber / gloss vinyl wrap tape available in many different colors, black would look best IMO, and cut to width and length or to length and fold around the side panel slot holes, done.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates these slot holes that distract from an otherwise beautiful case design, found another video of a standard 500D without the slot holes. I really wish one of the Corsair employees on this forum would comment on this, why can't we just get an answer?

[ame=

]
[/ame]

• 3 weeks later...

I created a ticket regarding the tooling change on the 500D and how one would go about acquiring the cases that have had the change implemented to which I received the below replies, so it has been confirmed that some of Corsair's employees are not aware of a tooling change. I replied to him with an attached pic of a case without the slot holes and received a second reply, still no joy. So it seems it is just pot luck that you will get a case without the slot holes as there is absolutely no way to identify the cases that have had the change implemented without opening the packaging, color me disappointed.

Response By Email (Nick P) (01/22/2019 05:21 PM)

Hi MAX

As far as I know there was no change to the tooling of the case. Though if there was there would be no way of providing you with information to determine which one was the change and which one wasn't.

Response By Email (Nick P) (01/24/2019 11:58 AM)

Hi MAX

Unfortunately there is no way to determine which case you would be getting.

Another example of how much better the case looks without those awful slot holes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/rgxG3C

Edited by Max15King

Hey fellas, just thought I would jump in here. I have the 500D SE which I received just before Christmas and I can confirm they no longer have the slots that you guys are talking about. I don't know exactly when this changed but i'm sure that any case you buy now wont have the slots unless they have had them sitting on a shelf for a long time.

• 4 months later...