Corsair Community

Commander Mini - Fans Spin up and Down

AlphaBravo

I am running a Commander Mini with Corsair Link version 3.2.5695 in two of my rigs. I have a temp probe plugged into the temp probe 4 slot (as the other temp probe slots do not allow a custom fan curve response). Both rigs use different 3-pin LED fans (Corsair and Enermax).

When I set a custom fan curve based on the temp 4 probe temperature, if the temp probe temp falls midway between two of the points and the fan speed is at the last 200 RPM or so of the max fan speed, then the fan speed "bounces" up and down in a 100 RPM to 150 RPM range.

Here is an example with my Corsair AF140 LED fans.

Temp Probe 4 temp - hovers around 33.0 or 33.1

Point 4 set at 32 degrees and 900 RPM

Point 5 set at 34 degrees and 1000 RPM

Based on the above example, the fan will spin up and down, every couple of seconds, between 880 RPM and 1010 RPM.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I've had similar and pretty much in the same RPM range as you. For me I had my front fans set to change depending on GPU temps but because of the fans spinning up and down all the time I gave up with custom curves on the Commander Mini. I also tried to have the LED's that you can get for the Mini change from white to blue as GPU temps increased but they ended up flashing bright white every 10-15 seconds so I gave up on that too.

Now I just have one profile with all fans at max RPM and LED's blue for gaming, and another profile for idle with all fans around 700 RPM and the LED's set white. It's a bit of a pain to have to always open Link and set the right profile before and after gaming, but with how annoying the RPM spikes and LED flashing issues can be it's less stressful just to set profiles.

Just a quick update.

I also have a Commander Mini (I know....three of them, right?!?!), in yet another system. I am running Corsair Link version 3.1.5525 in that system.

I have five NZXT 3-pin 140mm fans (non-LED) hooked up to the Commander Mini, and set to a custom curve, and the fans have the same issue where they spin up and down similar to my first post in this thread.

I did more testing on this issue.

It seems that the fan RPM going up and down does not have anything to do with a custom curve. It set a manual fan speed for my various 3-pin fans, and it seems that the Commander Mini has a problem with the fans if the speed is set to be at a speed from about 150 to 200 RPM below the max speed of the fan.

If set speed falls anywhere from 150 to 200 RPM below the max speed of the fan, then the fans will spin up to the max, and then down again. The fans repeat this up and down RPM every 20 to 30 seconds.

This up and down of the RPM occurs with three different models of 3-pin fans, and occurs with all three of my Commander Mini units.

This issue does not occur with my Corsair SP120 PWM fans.

Based on this, I would say that the Commander Mini does not control 3-pin fans properly.

Archived