Corsair Community

Help me setup my first loop!

So i always wanted a custom loop, and seeing corsair releasing their own custom loops makes me very excited, so i wanna get it. But if i do the configurator things doesnt make any sense, this is configurator code EfXpm9

In stage 2 like i mentioned in my previous post it says i need 2 radiators. i dont wanna overclock, or cool the cpu only the cpu. so i checked that option. If someone has the time please check my configurator and tell me what do i need to adjust. this is my current setup https://imgur.com/a/r77Dbcl should i put 240mm in the front or what?

Assuming your hardware requirements are the same as the other post (570x case, CPU only cooling) this leaves you with two radiator placements - top and front. There are pros and cons to one or the other.

A 360mm radiator will fit on the front rail, but this will occupy precious space in the main compartment. You have to put the pump and resevoir somewhere. Take a look at custom builds for the 570x and see if you can find some creative options. You can put a 240mm up top. This is 50% less surface area than the 360mm, but will still do the job. The top slot might be more prone to GPU and board created heat, but it does free up room in front for the pump/res.

So many of these things are unique to your hardware. That is what the configurator is trying to do. However, you still need to take measurements and do some planning to see how/where to mount the pump/res and work around the GPU.

Im super lost though legit it's my first ever custom loop. I just need someone to tell me what do i exactly need to cool the cpu like what parts. and after that i will figure it out on my own but for now im super lost for the products.

• Corsair Employee

Build from configuration code EfXpm9 is valid.

EfXpm9.png

2 radiators are recommended to provide enough cooling performance to meet requirements for stage 2 (recommended by Corsair).

Why is there a smaller radiator on front, while the case supposed to support up to 360 radiator?

To accomodate space for installation of the pump/res unit, configurator reserved space for the pump/res unit and put a largest possible radiator on front position.

240mm radiator will not fit in the front. There will be no space to install the pump/res unit.

Alternate options - will require to check for clearance on your side.

1) 240 radiator on top.

Need to check for clearance with motherboard and RAM. Radiator with fans installed will reach over top of the motherboard.

2) 240 radiator on top, 120 radiator on back.

Let me know if you'll be able to verify for clearance on top and I'll update the list of parts.

• Corsair Employee

Effectively, they work as one bigger radiator.

Whole custom cooling loop is connected in series. For an example, front radiator -> CPU water block -> back radiator -> pump -> back to front radiator.

In the configurator, you could also go for the stage 1 which will come with one radiator. It will be sufficient for non overclocked 9900K but honestly, then it's better to use one of our AIO cooler based on 240, 280 or 360 radiator size which will fit on front of your case.

Effectively, they work as one bigger radiator.

Whole custom cooling loop is connected in series. For an example, front radiator -> CPU water block -> back radiator -> pump -> back to front radiator.

In the configurator, you could also go for the stage 1 which will come with one radiator. It will be sufficient for non overclocked 9900K but honestly, then it's better to use one of our AIO cooler based on 240, 280 or 360 radiator size which will fit on front of your case.

So what you are saying is go for 240mm to the front and add the pump? do u think is it going to fit?

With 240mm radiator on the front, you won't be able to easily install the Hydro X Series XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo.

If that would be possible, the configurator would offer such option.

so if i get the 2 radiators and connect them together. will they work as efficiently as 1 big rad? i wanna know because i wanna get the stuff now if it works. but i dont wanna waste my money and time if they dont

However, as noted previously above... setting up a 240 top + 120 rear or some unusual combination of triple 120mm radiators is not going to offer you an improvement over a front mounted H150i 360mm AIO. Even when it is physically possible to squeeze something in, it may not be desirable for a host of different reasons, including day to day or sporadic case management.

• Corsair Employee

Your 2080 Ti FTW 3 Ultra with mentioned GPU water block would still be too long.

To be able to fit a long radiator in the front you would need a graphics card with length below 270mm. Any graphics card compatible with the Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 20-SERIES GPU Water Block (2080 TI FE) would meet this criteria.

Your 2080 Ti FTW 3 Ultra with mentioned GPU water block would still be too long.

To be able to fit a long radiator in the front you would need a graphics card with length below 270mm. Any graphics card compatible with the Hydro X Series XG7 RGB 20-SERIES GPU Water Block (2080 TI FE) would meet this criteria.

So i cannot cool the gpu as long i upgrade the case

• Corsair Employee

You can cool both the CPU and GPU (with compatible 3rd party GPU water block) but with limited cooling performance. You would be able to reach stage 1 cooling performance.

STAGE 1

Minimal viable radiator configuration to keep your component temperatures under control. Expect quiet operation during idle and low intensity tasks. Due to limited radiator surface area, fans will run faster at full load but still support maximum CPU and GPU boost clocks during extensive gaming sessions.

For your case, it would equip a 140mm radiator on front and a 120mm radiator on back.

In case you would want to reach higher cooling performance (stage 2 or stage 3) and keep your graphics card, then a case upgrade would be needed.

You can cool both the CPU and GPU (with compatible 3rd party GPU water block) but with limited cooling performance. You would be able to reach stage 1 cooling performance.

STAGE 1

Minimal viable radiator configuration to keep your component temperatures under control. Expect quiet operation during idle and low intensity tasks. Due to limited radiator surface area, fans will run faster at full load but still support maximum CPU and GPU boost clocks during extensive gaming sessions.

For your case, it would equip a 140mm radiator on front and a 120mm radiator on back.

In case you would want to reach higher cooling performance (stage 2 or stage 3) and keep your graphics card, then a case upgrade would be needed.

right now my h115 i pro is 280mm if i go to 140mm and 120mm rad thats 260. will i lose any cooling performance?

Your are losing some radiator surface area while increasing the flow resistance, all at a clear monetary cost. Combined with the complexity of the required layout, it is difficult to recommend proceeding along those lines. Small and medium size cases usually come with substantial compromise. If you are determined to set up a custom loop, give your yourself a larger space to work with.