Corsair Community

Corsair Force MP510 read speeds

speancer

Hi,

I recently bought MP510 960GB NVMe SSD. I performed some tests to find out that read speeds are not really as advertised. ATTO shows max 3000~ MB/s read, CrystalBench 3120 MB/s tops. Write rates are as advertised, reaching 3000 MB/s easy.

Any idea why my read speeds are not higher? I went through pretty many reviews, and in all cases the drive was reaching 3400 MB/s read speeds in tests mentioned above, so I'm a bit under the line.

I have OS installed and two additional partitions made. The drive works with M.2 PCIe adapter in PCIe 3.0 x4 mode. Not much of its space is used. I'm pretty sure my platform can handle full potential of this drive.

Would appreciate any help :biggrin:

• Corsair Employee

Hello speancer,

Unfortunately the only real way to test the drive to see advertised speeds is with a fully empty drive. With any space filled in the drive, you risk loss of speed in both read and write, though reads do seem to slow down first in my experience.

Thank you for answering, however I'm unsure if that's entirely accurate claim. The tests I've seen where performed with the drive partially filled with files, and still, the results were higher than mine (for read rate). Perhaps having the OS on the drive makes the biggest impact on synthetic read speeds? Real life test copying a certain ammount of files was really close to the one from the review.

Also, is it possible my drive suffers from thermal throttling? I do not actually have ANY cooling solution applied on it, it's just "naked" M.2 PCIe adapter. Thermal images in reviews showed the controller heating up to even 80* C, while software was only showing 50* C.

Archived