Corsair Community

AX860i suddenly shutting down

Ragingsoul

For the past couple of days with my new system, I had some problems with it suddenly shutting down, and the led going red on the Power supply.

When I Disconnect every cable, the self test pass, when I connect everything BUT the ATX for the motherboard, self test goes green.

When the motherboard is connected, I have no light if I try the self test.

Is that already normal or not?

The PC, can run with normal frequencies and voltages, or OCed, it's the same thing.

It can be on idle, or doing something, happened on every situation.

I can't see any relation here.

I don't know if it's either the House power fluctuations, the Motherboard or the powersupply which is causing this shut down.

The only way to restart the PC is by switching the Power supply off and on again.

Some days, it works without any problems. The next, I have 3 shut downs in 4h.

I ran intel burn tests and prime for a couple hours on various days, and no problem here.

Is the self test suppose to be green no matter what I plug in?

if there is a short circuit with the motherboard, how can I detect it?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys.

Ragingsoul, I just dropped you a PM. I'm experiencing exactly the same problems with my ax860i. PC randomly shuts down and the LED light turns red. It can go on for days without this happening but when it does, the PC will shut down 4-7 times within one hour period.

The only way to bring the PC back to operational state is by reconnecting all the cables and resetting the switch on the back of the PSU.

Edit:

I forgot to mention that just like in Ragingsoul's case, the self test button does produce a green light, it simply does nothing. When the issue occurs, the system can be either under heavy load or totally idle, it does not affect the problem in any way. To eliminate the issue of fluctuating voltage, I have connected my PC to the mains through an expensive surge protector, although I'm not 100% sure this will help.

Below are my system specs to give you a better idea

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77

CPU: i3770k @3.6GHz (not overclocked)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1600MHz

GPU: GeForce GTX 680

SSD: Samsung 830 256GB SSD

HDD: Samsung F3 750GB 7200RPM

PSU: Corsair ax860i

Edited by michal_wasinski

• Corsair Employee

I would tend to agree with

Peanutz94

Sure sounds like the MB but the only way to really determine which component it is would be to test with another known good PSU. If you get the same issue then it's the MB or some component connected to it.

Before buying the ax860i, I've been using a 1000W PSU the manufacturer of which shall not be named here. The other PSU, despite being loud and clunky, was stable and these reboots and sudden shut downs never took place. Looks like I'm gonna have to send the ax860i to Netherlands in order to RMA it.

Can you explain how the self test is done?

I can pass it with everything plugged in, except the 10 pin power for the Motherboard.

Since Motherboards tend to drain a lot of amps right at the start to start everything (and every fan on max), would this behavior alter the power Supply self test?

When the 14 pin part is connected to the AX860i, it still passes the self test, and since the motherboard isn't fully powered, the system doesn't boot of course.

I guess you can't do a self test with everything plugged in since it would mean a system start up, right?

I redid the cabling behind the Corsair Graphite 600T Midi-Tower on sunday, to have something cleaner, if I still have a random shut down with this done, I'll post here again.

It seems more of a motherboard issue than powersupply, but maybe it was just a cable not completely in (even if I rechecked things like 10 times).

Hopefully, the sunday's clean up by removing every cable and replugging everything have solve the problem.

Can you explain how the self test is done?

I can pass it with everything plugged in, except the 10 pin power for the Motherboard

The self test has to be performed with all cables DISCONNECTED from the back of the PSU. Just the power cable from the wall is all you should have plugged in.

Since Motherboards tend to drain a lot of amps right at the start to start everything (and every fan on max), would this behavior alter the power Supply self test?

Not really anymore. Systems have become so energy efficient they do not quite behave the way the older systems do. At Idle conditions at start up your only looking at about 150-200 at the most.

Edited by peanutz94

Not really anymore. Systems have become so energy efficient they do not quite behave the way the older systems do. At Idle conditions at start up your only looking at about 150-200 at the most.

No, I think you missed my point, or maybe I didn't express it correctly.

Whenever you switch an electrical device on, because of the Condensers, you will have a peak of current far greater than once the voltage is stable (I'm not gonna make an electronic course here).

Depending on the motherboard, this could be quite high and might be flagged as a short circuit for the self test, that's why I asked.

I still didn't have the problem back since sunday at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a short update to this thread.

After testing many different configurations, rearranging cables, disabling/enabling various BIOS features, I decided to RMA the ax860i and have sent it back to Netherlands yesterday.

After doing some research, it seems that the problem with the ax860i spontaneously shutting down is much more widespread. There are a lot of people reporting their ax860i's exhibiting exactly the same behavior on other forums which means this is not an isolated issue.

Corsair might want to look into this as their top of the range PSU seems to be having more problems than one would expect including issues with fan, corsair link, psu shutting down and much, much more.

Don't get me wrong, I like corsair products but the company never used to release products like this which to me, simply seem unfinished and rushed, considering the amount of issues people have with them.

Also, I find it ridiculous that after spending nearly £200 on a PSU I had to pay additional £60 to post it to Netherlands.

After testing many different configurations, rearranging cables, disabling/enabling various BIOS features, I decided to RMA the ax860i and have sent it back to Netherlands yesterday.

After doing some research, it seems that the problem with the ax860i spontaneously shutting down is much more widespread. There are a lot of people reporting their ax860i's exhibiting exactly the same behavior on other forums which means this is not an isolated issue.

Corsair might want to look into this as their top of the range PSU seems to be having more problems than one would expect including issues with fan, corsair link, psu shutting down and much, much more.

Don't get me wrong, I like corsair products but the company never used to release products like this which to me, simply seem unfinished and rushed, considering the amount of issues people have with them.

Also, I find it ridiculous that after spending nearly £200 on a PSU I had to pay additional £60 to post it to Netherlands.

yeah I switched back to my old PSU, and the problem is gone.

doing the RMA now too.

The current trend of poor quality Corsair PSU's has me concerned too. I am using a 5 year old TX850W that has been rock solid. But I know one day it will have to be replaced. Already I am looking at other brands other than Corsair. Years ago Corsair never would have put their names on such poor quality. Just search these forums as well as other sites on the internet. Something has happened in the quality department. Unless something changes my next PSU will not be a Corsair.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem here.

Computer suddenly power off. Red led on the 860i.

the suddenly power off, is ramdom, i can be playing games in hardcore mode a lot of hours and dont got any problem, and i can be just waked up, trying to power on my computer and i cant. or just waked up start the computer open a web browser, start to reading some news, and computer shut down.

the first shutting down was at the end of Feb too.

video of this morning just waked up, and only reading some forums.

Take a look that when i plug the cable of energy on the AX, the ax itself make a try to start without pushing any power button of the case

At the 4 or 5 try the computer starts without problems (without pressing anything, only conecting electrical cable to AX, and the temperatures are normal.

Edited by Lopez

I have had this PSU AX860I for about 3 months and now encountering the same problem. I can go hours without any issues, but sometimes it shuts down 15 mins into a boot up. I am going for a RMA. What a peice of crap! Not what I expected after shelling out so much money...

I was playing WOW yesterday morning and my PC shut down with no warning. apo restart it shut down again, both times i had to turn the switch to the PSU of then on. I down clocked some items in bios that i had OC"d, and it proceeded to shut down once again. While In Corsair Link, I was checkign temps, then checked the power tab, and I think i found the cause of my shut down, some of the PCI-e rails were set to OCP, and turned all the way down. I've never messed ith any of these. so i unchecked them all saved provile and restarted. PC booted no problems. i ticked one of the rails to enable OCP, and my pc shut down instantly. My PC hasnt repeated this since. Not sure why the OCP settings changed themselves? something to check.

I'm having the exact same problem with my ax760i. I originally thought it was the surge protector I had the power supply plugged into. Unfortunately, the other day the random shutdowns came back (after I had removed the surge protector). Out of nowhere and without warning... ... *click*... the computer just shuts off. Sometimes I'm able to power the computer back on and sometimes I'm forced to unplug it before it will boot back up.

I'm glad corsair's customer service is easy to deal with. They're sending me a replacement so hopefully it's just a bad batch and not common to all the units.

• 3 months later...

I am having this too now with AX860i. Supposed to be top of the line!

The C-link doesn't let me make any changes manually to fan or anything else...

Also c-link shows i am at 60% efficiency! pretty bad.

• 3 months later...

My AX860i just started exhibiting this issue after 3 months of flawless behaviour. That ugly red LED is staring at me as we speak.

It's almost definitely a PSU issue as if I switch it out with a spare Seasonic X750, the system behaves fine. Guess it's time for a RMA for me as well.

• 2 months later...
I just had this happen to me tonight. It's back up and running again but not sure how long that will last. It would be nice to hear something from Corsair as there seem to be quite a few people with very similar issues. :)

I just had this happen to me tonight. It's back up and running again but not sure how long that will last. It would be nice to hear something from Corsair as there seem to be quite a few people with very similar issues. :)

Poik Corsair sells 150,000 PSU's a month x 12months and that is a $%^& load of PSU's.. Not to mention this is a support forum. Your going to see many others with the same complaints, but that doesn't mean there is an inherent problem with that PSU.

There is an acceptable percentage limit of RMA's. Unless the PSU exceeds that number your not going to hear anything from them.

If your having problems with your PSU , please use the link on the left to request an RMA and they would be happy to replace it for you.

Just bought this same PSU and have the same exact issue.. I need to do an RMA but the customer service phone line is a very long wait. I waited for 30minutes and they couldn't take my call. I tried to do an online ticket RMA but they only have accessories replacement RMA available...

I paid extra to get Corsair PSU expecting a good customer service experience.. It has been awful so far.

• 2 weeks later...

System was having boot up issues - seemed to be stuck in a loop, and taking at times 5 minutes to get into Windows.

Got around problem by not turning system off (just let it keep running, even at night). This worked for a while, then one morning came to system and it had shut down. Red light was on the AX860i. I attempted to start the computer a number of times without success. Each time a click sound was heard, system shut off abruptly and the red light appeared on the PSU. Finally managed to get system working, got into Windows, and a short while later it shut off with the red light appearing on the PSU again. This kept occurring a number of times until finally I got a warning upon trying to boot up stating that the motherboard had shut the system down due to a power surge from the PSU. At that point I figured it was not safe to keep trying and now I am dealing with the outlet I purchased it from trying to 'prove' to them the PSU is faulty. They did some simple test at the counter and told me it was fine, and that they would have to due more extensive testing to confirm it was faulty.

I called Corsair, and left two messages. That was last week. I have a feeling they will never call me back.

Edited by TRayT

Got around problem by not turning system off (just let it keep running, even at night). This worked for a while, then one morning came to system and it had shut down. Red light was on the AX860i. I attempted to start the computer a number of times without success.

Did you try removing the PSU from your system and starting it with a paper clip? This is going to be the fastest way to figure out if the red light is a fault caused by the PSU or the MB.

Each time a click sound was heard, system shut off abruptly and the red light appeared on the PSU

The "click" is normal,it's a relay switching on. It should be heard just a second or so after you hit the power button on your case. You may also hear it at shut down.

I am dealing with the outlet I purchased it from trying to 'prove' to them the PSU is faulty. They did some simple test at the counter and told me it was fine, and that they would have to due more extensive testing to confirm it was faulty.

If they are unwilling to help you just use the link on the left to request an RMA. Corsair will replace it for you.

I would still test with a paper clicp first, or really if you have access to another PSU to test your system with would be the best way to go.

Techs called me today and said during testing the PSU did fine. The problem is intermittent so it may not show up right away. Whatever they determine - I do not think it prudent to risk using it and possibly causing damage to other components, not to mention it could be a safety risk as well.

Thanks for the tips peanutz94.