Corsair Community

Back side fan position - 500D SE RGB case

Violett

Where is the best position to install the back side fan on its grill in the Corsair Obsidian 500D SE RGB case ? This case have, like many cases have, a grill on the back side, where is installed a fan, but this grill is larger than a dimensions of a 120mm fan. Actually, even the holes for the fan screws is guiding holes, wich permit to install the fan upper or lower on the grill. I saw all three positions on the grill - up, middle or down used in builings, even in Corsair official presentation builds.I thought if the position matters for the best airflow, wich in that case is from the front slightely ascendent to the back of the case. Does matter the position of this fan, since the position determine an uncovered portion of the grill, upside or downside the fan ? Which is the best position, where should be the uncovered grill ? Edited by Violett

• 3 weeks later...
I don't think there is any better position than any other provided your getting the bulk of the fan surface over the grill. The holes are slotted in case you need to adjust fan position to fit a particular motherboard or fan/radiator setup in the top of the case. I centered mine in the grill because my top case setup was not impinging on the back fan.

Mostly splitting hairs with this. If you have a top mounted radiator and slide the rear fan all the way to the top so that it is partially obstructed, that might have some small negative effect. Otherwise, it is mostly just aesthetics. If you really are scratching for something, moving it all the way down may help move more GPU heat out that pathway as opposed to top mounted radiator that might take on some heat penalty.