Corsair Community

K55 and cold boot Issue

This is a copy/paste message from other site that explains perfectly my problem.

Just bought a new K55 keyboard earlier this week and things were great for the first two days, today though has been a big headache. What's happening is, when going from a COLD Boot, my computer hangs before Bios. This is only happening when my K55 is plugged in to any, USB 3.0 or USB 2.0, port. The only solution that's actually done anything is unplug/plug the K55 back in or turn off/on again pressing On button. My computer boots perfectly fine with another keyboard plugged in so long as the K55 isn't plugged in.

However, when I restart instead of a full shutdown, my PC boots perfectly fine with the K55 plugged in.

Anyone with this issue?

Edited by freakerman21

• 4 weeks later...

The problem remains. It has nothing to be with cue because it doesn't reach the BIOS screen.

We dont use CUE by the way.

It must be something related to the keyboard hardware itself.

Even though I followed Corsair instructions and... the problem does not fix.

• 2 months later...

I feel your pain. Bought a K55 about a month ago and didn't notice this issue till I went to install some new case fans (LL120's) yesterday. My machine stays on 24 7.

When I'd try to power up from cold boot, my system would hang before bios like you. Bottom right corner bios error codes would slowly cycle through b4 92 9c and a2. It would boot every time, it just took anywhere from 8 to 18 minutes!

I didn't really think that 3 rgb fans would cause a lack of power, but you go with the newest addition first. Eliminated that theory by disconnecting the new fans. Next, I checked that all drivers were current. Then tried updating the bios on my board. That was pointless. And tonight I thought, when in doubt, do a fresh OS install! Boy was I wrong!

I can't believe the amount of time and effort I wasted all because of a keyboard!! It was hooked up to a USB 2 port. I seem to have fixed it by moving it around to different ports. Oddly enough the last one I tried (a USB 3) did the trick!

Sorry that didn't work for you. But I'm not 100% sure that it's gone for good. I don't really trust that is was just the port that it was plugged into. If it happens again, I'll be replacing this keyboard. But, with all the other Corsair RGB that I now have, I'm probably sticking with the brand, just not the K55!

Edited by DrJ7062

• 4 months later...
I didn't have this issue until they changed the iCUE system. Guess I've gotten used to unplugging my keyboard before starting up. Only happens when using the Corsair keyboard, all others are just fine, can leave them plugged in and PC starts right up. Hopefully it gets resolved but, doubtful. And, yes, all drivers are updated, including both the mouse and keyboard, same with iCUE as well.

• Corsair Employee

As stated above, its a USB issue. Your computer's motherboard has a USB Chipset driver that boots along with your other driver's during the boot process. What's probably happening is that the motherboard is attempting to boot the USB and can't, but won't proceed with the boot.

Try updating your motherboard USB chipset drivers. They are located on the motherboard's website in most cases.

I'd also suggest reinstalling iCUE by performing a clean install.

- Please make sure to install all updates for Windows. .

- Install RevoUninstaller: http://download.cnet.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?part=dl-&subj=dl&tag=button

- Run RevoUninstaller

-Select iCUE, and then select uninstall

- Restart your computer

- Reinstall CUE.

• 4 months later...

Hi - new to the forum and resurrecting this thread as I seem to be having the same issue, and haven't been able to find a solution that works.

I'm using a standard Dell Optiplex 390 mini tower (planning to upgrade it) and I don't have this problem with any other keyboard. The issue is:

• Whenever I cold boot, with the Corsair K55 connected to any USB port, the PC hangs when loading BIOS (stuck on the Dell logo screen). The PC will not boot unless the K55 is disconnected.
  • If I connect the keyboard once Windows has booted, there's no problem and it works perfectly and is recognised by iCUE.
  • There's also no problem if I restart Windows rather than Shut Down and power back on.

So far I have checked all of the below:

• Windows 10 is up to date
  • BIOS has been updated to latest
  • iCUE is up to date (tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well)
  • K55 firmware is up to date
  • Checked drivers in Device Manager and appears to be using the correct Corsair drivers

Are there any other suggestions? I'm quite new to PC building so detailed instructions would be a great help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Hi guys, I've brought this up a while back with our validations team to see if they have seen this issue with our testing in house. Unfortunately they haven't. If you haven't please make a support ticket so they can request for system information to help find a solution. If we can't replicate the issue we don't have a way to fix it sadly.

• 2 weeks later...
I have this same problem with k68. PC wont even get to post until i unplug the keyboard then after the windows screens starts i can plug it back in. I mean PC will pause before post and just sit there as soon as i unplug the keyboard bam it moves on like a champ.

I am also having this same issue with the K55. I have a Dell Optiplex 990 mt that i am using. It is happening with it in any USB port. I have 100% narrowed it down to the keyboard, tried it with and without iCUE installed and even with a fresh install of windows. Anybody with this issue found any fixes for it? Pretty annoying to have to unplug my keyboard any time i make hardware adjustments. Not to mention, getting into the bios from a cold boot is a nightmare when you have a fraction of a second of a window to plug in the keyboard and press the necessary keys. Honestly, this is making me not want to purchase any other Corsair products.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi - new to the forum and resurrecting this thread as I seem to be having the same issue, and haven't been able to find a solution that works.

I'm using a standard Dell Optiplex 390 mini tower (planning to upgrade it) and I don't have this problem with any other keyboard. The issue is:

• Whenever I cold boot, with the Corsair K55 connected to any USB port, the PC hangs when loading BIOS (stuck on the Dell logo screen). The PC will not boot unless the K55 is disconnected.
  • If I connect the keyboard once Windows has booted, there's no problem and it works perfectly and is recognised by iCUE.
  • There's also no problem if I restart Windows rather than Shut Down and power back on.

So far I have checked all of the below:

• Windows 10 is up to date
  • BIOS has been updated to latest
  • iCUE is up to date (tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well)
  • K55 firmware is up to date
  • Checked drivers in Device Manager and appears to be using the correct Corsair drivers

Are there any other suggestions? I'm quite new to PC building so detailed instructions would be a great help.

I have the exact-same problem...but with a K-70.

I also have the Optiplex as described, and the exact-same thing happens. Won't boot past BIOS with Corsair plugged in. A light blinks on my keyboard when this happens.

Boots fine without keyboard plugged in. Then, can plug in keyboard and it works. And the blinking light does not blink.

This never used to happen to me...even with the Corsair...until I experienced a power outage once (thanks, Duke Energy) - now it happens every time.

And it happened again, today, thanks to a power blip...again, the hat tip to Duke Energy, the monstrosity that "provides" substandard electrical service to most of North Carolina.

By the way, while on the subject...why do so many of my keyboard lights not work properly? It is like they have faded and I no longer get the intended color effect.

• 2 months later...

hi to all of you..... i found the solution in my case:

Dell Optiplex 790. On second Startup with K55 connected you can press F12. You must be in Legacy Boot mode. I am not in UEFI..... in the Boot order remove USB storage devices.... the system tries to search system drives on the USB ports. that looks like the conflict with the K55.... the system thinks its a hard drive. 100% solution for my system.

• 2 months later...

I think the problem with the K55 and other keyboards is that for some reason whether its the plug Corsair used or the hardware, the start up sees the keyboard as a USB storage device and will hang up on the start screen because of that.

I have gone into bios and all I have on startup is the cd and hard drive as startup parameters and it still hangs up with a cold start. Would there be a way to change that in any bios filter or somehow change the keyboard to an interface?

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there... i link here in this thread. look at my system specs, and keep in mind that my bios has CSM in "auto", usb legacy "auto", no ErP (a way in EZ-MODE by asus i found to make all things work), and works normal with my actual kb/mouse (logitech rf plugged into usb2.0).

Keep also in mind that my motherboard has 2 rear usb2.0 ports, that i will use one for the K55 keyboard, the other for M65 Elite mouse...will i have to do some workaroud or should i go happy? (icue last version 4.9.350 working).

• 3 months later...