Corsair Community

Air Cooled System

ljc117

I recieved my case yesterday, and I must say, very impressive. UPS delivery from NewEgg, box looked like it did 2 tours in Iraq, but the case is fine. (Tiny scratch on front panel at bottom but it wont be seen)

I started my usual case mods. sound dampen when applicable, adding missing fans, which should never be, but I am getting concered as I am goign to air cool with the acception of the CPU, where I will use the H50 simple water cooler. Even my HIS graphics choice are Zalman heat sink silent. I am reading too many comments on how poor this thing is with air flow, and im getting spooked. I am installing 2x 120mm's at the top with a Zalman fan controller, but I am still concerned.

I mean. I am about to stuff this thing with $1400 in hardware that I want to last, and not BBQ. Am I making a mistake going air cool with this puppy? Has anyone gone all air cool with the 800D, and are stable?

Starting to think I should eBay it, cut my losses, and wait on the Silverstone FT02 next month, which was my original plan until I saw this impressive beast. Its for a Win7 workstation so I have some time...

Comments welcome...

~ljc

I'm getting a bit confused about this as well.. Originally i read one german test, the only i could find that included temps. In that review the case did ok. Not impressive, but still not bad. At the same time it was one of two cases, that was the quietest. That sounded more than ok for me. A quiet case can't reach extremes in temps. Can't seem to find the review atm. Will return witg info if i find it.

But today i came across Overclock3D.net's review, and in this the 800D did rly poorly. Have a look for yourself: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews.php?/cases_cooling/corsair_obsidian_800d/6

Luckily there's still a few days until the case is supposed to be in stock at my retailer. I hope for more reviews before that.

I am planning to throw watercooling into mine, but still.. Not kean on buying an expensive case that doesn't work as a case is supposed to. Actually i had been wondering why noone included temps in their reviews of the case. It may be that they don't wanna annoy Corsair. But still.. If they don't do their job.. What a failure that would be..

With regards to your question LJC: It seems it would be a good idea to make the back fan take in air. I had thought of this as well actually. Two 140mm intakes shopuld make quite a difference. Only thing is: Where do you get a 140 fanfilter?

EDIT

I would at least give the case a try. You have it already. Throw your component in it, and let's see how it performs:-)

Thanks Jonny. I have a lab system next to the case so I borrowed some power to test the fans, they are super quiet, but its no tornado in there. My goal is the fast, but as silent as possible with some style.

I currently have an Aurora 3D (Now called the Sumu) from Gigabyte, which I have had running for almost 4 years now. Single 120mm in the front pulling in over the drives, 2x 120mm's in the back drawing out. Also very quiet, and the case is routinly running in the low 80's. My point is, I will probrably have the same results with this case. I am not an extreame gamer, I just wanted to go all new state of the moment for my Win7 workstation.

Your right, if I try and unload the case I am gonna lose about 1/3 of what I paid, so ill give it a go.

• Corsair Employee
The 800D does not require water cooling. If you are worried about cooling then adding some exhaust fans to the top of the case should improve the performance, but the temperatures in the case will not get hot enough to effect your performance or to damage your equipment in any way.

This is EXACTLY my concern. I saw that adding a better intake fan at the base and making sure you have a fan or two on top AND make sure you use the rear as an INTAKE like an j50 (which is what I plan to do) you can expect vid temps similar to the coolermaster 922's. I'd be happy with that but before spending 400 bones I really need some assurance. RAMguy, is there a recommended config?

I did add the fans to the top. I am going to use the H50 CPU cooler so my back fan will become an intake, which will help. I found a cheep magnetic filter for steel cases on FrozenCPU.com. My 1 beef with the case so far is the top vent should have a cover of some kind to hide the mounts, and give it a cleaner look. I installed my 3x 120mm fans with the included black screws and they all went in angled, and it looked horrible. I found these rubber mounts on FrozenCPU, they were a but tricky to install with all the fans being so close, but in the end, it looks much cleaner;

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6137/scr-115/SilenX_Rubber_Fan_Mount_Screws_-_20_pack_IXA-FM20.html?tl=g47c111s484

I am taking my time with this case before I load it up withmy gear. Ill post pics once complete. Still waiting on the 1156 H50 bracket. :-(

This is EXACTLY my concern. I saw that adding a better intake fan at the base and making sure you have a fan or two on top AND make sure you use the rear as an INTAKE like an j50 (which is what I plan to do) you can expect vid temps similar to the coolermaster 922's. I'd be happy with that but before spending 400 bones I really need some assurance. RAMguy, is there a recommended config?

This is basically what I have done to my case and so far the cooling appears to be as good as my previous case that had a side intake fan and open mesh side and a 200mm fan in the top. I have 3 low speed fans on top and a H50 cooler blowing air into the case. I replaced the bottom fan with a higher speed fan that moves more air. I have only ran the case for a few hours as I am still tweaking it but should have it in service today and I can compare apples to apples on temperature. What I have seen and read so far is the the stock fans are not really adequate for air cooling for anyone running a hot video card. But with changes to the fans and some tweaking this case appears to be ok for air cooling.

I hear you. The H50 not withstanding, with added fans, sound sampenting material, and so do forth, I too am at the 400 hondo mark on a $280 case.

Isn't that the norm? How many of us actually leave the case in stock configuration. I know I don't, I have modified every case I own if you consider changing and adding fans. I just finished buttoned up my case and moved it to its normal location. It is one of the quieter cases I have owned and the thermal performance is similar to my other air cooled cases. Of course I added fans, but I had several laying around so I didn't have to buy any.

This is basically what I have done to my case and so far the cooling appears to be as good as my previous case that had a side intake fan and open mesh side and a 200mm fan in the top. I have 3 low speed fans on top and a H50 cooler blowing air into the case. I replaced the bottom fan with a higher speed fan that moves more air. I have only ran the case for a few hours as I am still tweaking it but should have it in service today and I can compare apples to apples on temperature. What I have seen and read so far is the the stock fans are not really adequate for air cooling for anyone running a hot video card. But with changes to the fans and some tweaking this case appears to be ok for air cooling.

Thats great news. If you tell me it's good then I am a go. Which fans did you put on the bottom and top?

Thats great news. If you tell me it's good then I am a go. Which fans did you put on the bottom and top?

I am using the Yate Loon Electronics D14SM-12 which I think are 1400rpm. I have the system on now for about 5 hours and it is running as cool as the previous case. And it is quiet. Now if you are going to put 2 or 3 hot video cards I don't how it will work, but right now mine is running at CPU: 33C, MB:32, Video Card: 42C, and ambient is 27C. My previous case was a Sniper and it had open sides, 200mm side fan, 200mm top fan, 200mm front fan. The 800D is doing as well as that case and is quieter. The stock fans are not strong enough in my opinion and should be beefed up. There is a learning curve with this case and will require some fan swapping to optimize. Right now I very happy with the cooling and noise performance of this case.

With my 955BE on water at 3.9 GHZ (Prime95 for hours) I get 43c (this is with 6 fans in a push/pull arrangement with a in the case 3x120 radiator. The case has a additional 7 fans (6 have been upgraded) if I fire up these additional 7 fans I get a 2c drop in cpu temp. Mind you 43c is great for a 955 at 3.9 but the cooling is comming from the watercool setup not the case fans.

These 125W cpus get so hot in 60 seconds of ideling you don't want to touch the waterblock without the pump running,what I am getting at is I think a 125W cpu is pushing the limits of air cooling even not OCed,that is unless you dont mind high 50c cpu temps, which are still in the safe zone but nothing I want my cpu to see.

Curlysir,our sysyems are pretty close,I have the same mobo, my mobo temps are about 4c lower than yours and I conclude your CPU 33c is a idle temp which is exactly the same as mine. My 43c is under 100% usage for hours on end.

I am using the Yate Loon Electronics D14SM-12 which I think are 1400rpm. I have the system on now for about 5 hours and it is running as cool as the previous case. And it is quiet. Now if you are going to put 2 or 3 hot video cards I don't how it will work, but right now mine is running at CPU: 33C, MB:32, Video Card: 42C, and ambient is 27C. My previous case was a Sniper and it had open sides, 200mm side fan, 200mm top fan, 200mm front fan. The 800D is doing as well as that case and is quieter. The stock fans are not strong enough in my opinion and should be beefed up. There is a learning curve with this case and will require some fan swapping to optimize. Right now I very happy with the cooling and noise performance of this case.

great news. So if u relace the fan, add two fans on top and use a h50 or similar rear intake cooler you are fine on air.

Sold. I can live with that.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouraging news guys. I was really worried about the temps, but now that I've seen that with few extra fans things work, i'm ok :)

Could you please define quiet? I'd greatly appreciate it as this would be probably my last concern with this case and needed fan modding.

Temps aren't great but they aren't too bad either. What this case really kills are video card temps. With case open temps are over 10C less. I decided to use three of my front 5.25in bays for a 120mm intake as well as replace all stock fans and add three exhaust fans to the top. Haven't gotten parts yet but I can guarentee I will have a much cooler PC after that.

So since my original post I have made some more mod's. I ended up replacing all the stock fans now, except the H50 fan. I replaced the 2x 140mm fans with this one;

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9653/fan-610/Thermalright_X-Silent_140mm_x_25mm_Stealth_Silent_Fan_-_900RPM.html?tl=g36c15s775

They are 900RPM fans, but the extra blades give greater airflow. I noticed the temps in my raid bay were high, and this helped a bit.

Other than that its so far, so good. You can see my rig under the "Completed Build" post.

HTH...

Archived