Corsair Community

K70 RGB does not light at bootup

Dr John

I have a new K70 RGB keyboard, and so far everything works, but most of the time it does not light at bootup (lights stay off). I have tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. The only fix that I have found so far is to stop the CUE software and restart it. Then the default light scheme starts. Is there some way to fix this? Would uninstalling and reinstalling CUE have any effect?

While I like the keyboard overall, it is much glitchier than the Rosewill lighted mechanical keyboard that it replaced.

You probably inadvertently saved a blank (all lights off) profile to the keyboard memory slot. Save a static profile to the onboard memory and that will light upon power to the USB bus (during boot), overwriting the blank one.

I had a persistent problem with CUE not initializing the keyboard on bootup, forcing me to manually close CUE and restart it to make the connection. However, since installing another spyware/adware scanner the other day, my boot order was switched around and now CUE initializes promptly every time without fail.

Thanks, but I went though and there are no blank profiles, and the default profile is the one I set up to use most of the time. The problem is intermittent. Some days it initializes after Windows logon, but sometimes it does not. I would really like it to come up in default mode before I log on because sometimes it is dark out and I would like to be able to see the keyboard better when I log in with my password.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the default mode to light up as soon as the computer starts, and before I log into Windows?

Mine does totally fine. Although, you might have a profile set up with a bunch of effects instead of having all of the keys set to one color, with effects on top of that. That might be why you're only seeing blank, because the keyboard doesn't light up the colors of effects, but will light up the background colors that are set to the keys individually, with no effects on them.

I did not see that option under the USB section of the BIOS. I installed the new CUE version today, and the new firmware, and now the keyboard lights immediately, well before Windows finishes booting up, but it is not the default option, and in fact is not one of the profiles I set up. The problem now is that every time I boot it says that the keyboard is not detected. I again have to shut down and then restart CUE, at which point it immediately recognizes the keyboard and goes into the default lighting mode. So what would make the software not see the keyboard until I restart CUE? Thanks.

I played around some more, and by deleting all profiles, editing the default profile, and then adding back profiles, now the computer boots into the default profile properly before the Windows log on, but again, I can't switch modes and it says "device not detected". I have to shut down CUE, and restart it, and then everything works immediately.

OK, it looks like the updates did actually fix the problems. I was restarting rather than doing a cold boot. Now, when I boot the computer it comes up with the default lighting profile quickly, well before the Windows log on, and the profile switching works just fine without having to stop and restart CUE. So as far as I can tell, all the problems I was having are fixed. Good job on the updates Corsair!

• Corsair Employee
OK, it looks like the updates did actually fix the problems. I was restarting rather than doing a cold boot. Now, when I boot the computer it comes up with the default lighting profile quickly, well before the Windows log on, and the profile switching works just fine without having to stop and restart CUE. So as far as I can tell, all the problems I was having are fixed. Good job on the updates Corsair!

Im glad to have read this as I really wanted to know the extent of the issues that will be solved with this update. Thanks for sharing!

Archived