Corsair Community

Mixing RAM with same specs, only different colors

VoltaicScarab

Currently I have CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 kit (link --> https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Memory-Size/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18) and I want to add another pair of sticks, but the only kit I can purchase in the region I live is CMK16GX4M2B3600C18R (link --> https://www.corsair.com/eu/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-16GB-%282-x-8GB%29-DDR4-DRAM-3600MHz-C18-Memory-Kit---Red/p/CMK16GX4M2B3600C18R), which has exaclty the same specs. In fact I think the color is only difference with the ram I currently have, so I guess it would be fine to mix them. But to be sure I would like to have some opinions about this. What do you think?

You'll be fine. Many will tell you to buy the sticks all at the same time, or buy a whole kit together, to ensure compatability. As long as you stick to the same part number, you'll be fine. The only difference here is the color of the heatspreader, the RAM ICs and such will remain the same. I bought my 2 x 2x8GB kits as different times, and they overclock and run together just fine.

• Corsair Employee
You'll be fine. Many will tell you to buy the sticks all at the same time, or buy a whole kit together, to ensure compatability. As long as you stick to the same part number, you'll be fine. The only difference here is the color of the heatspreader, the RAM ICs and such will remain the same. I bought my 2 x 2x8GB kits as different times, and they overclock and run together just fine.

I'm sorry but that's going to be a no, we have dozens of tickets a week with this issue because people think they can purchase two kits and have them work together as long as the part number matches and that's simply not true.

I'm not saying it won't work at all, but it may not work well.

-Art

I'm sorry but that's going to be a no, we have dozens of tickets a week with this issue because people think they can purchase two kits and have them work together as long as the part number matches and that's simply not true.

-Art

While my experience may be limited in the grand scheme of things, I've not had a problem matching part numbers of RAM in the several years I've been computing. Just my experience.

-Art

So, based on this you should always buy RAM all together and never add more, even if the kits are of the same model, right?

It seems very unconvenient to be honest, but I'll take that in mind, especially for the future.

What they are saying is there is no guarantee. While the part number may be the same, it does not mean the material originates from the batch or supplier. It is often possible to get it to work, but usually requires some memory timing adjustments. If your goal is plug and play, this isn't it. While I enjoy tinkering and tweaking quite a bit, I don't find memory tuning very fun. It is tedious and time consuming. It certainly is possible you jam the sticks in and everything is fine, but this is a gamble. You have to decide whether that risk is worth it compared to the extra cost in buying a new larger kit. Based on current prices it is tempting, but if you have ever had a bad run trying to get RAM stable, you may not agree.

Archived