Corsair Community

K70 RGB LED's Freeze When Pressing Capslock

Vrill

Like the title says, whenever I use Capslock a few times all the lighting effects on my keyboard freeze completely in place. It seems to be an issue with the software, not the hardware itself. When this happens, it locks up ALL LED's including the Caps on/off indicator beside the mute button, when the software is not running or use the BIOS mode (which doesn't allow for animations) if I spam the Capslock key, the Capslock on/off LED will not lock up; however, if I have the software open and I spam the Capslock key, all effects LED's will freeze including the caps on/off indicator. It is ONLY for the Capslock key and I am very desperate for a solution. I use the Capslock key a lot, especially for keybinds in games, and currently I have to avoid using it entirely if I want to get everything out of this keyboard. It's very frustrating.

I have already tried uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling as well as trying different USB ports to see if that was the issue. I'm very convinced it is a problem with the software. Any help would be extremely appreciated. Specs are below, as well as a video summing my issue and hopefully providing more detail:

http://puu.sh/cZcM5/fef2de31ce.png

UPDATE: It only freezes if I either hold down, or rapidly press the key. If I press it slowly and wait for the animation to reset, it does not lock up. It also occurs randomly when using combinations of keys with ctrl and shift, but again, this ONLY happens when the software is running.

UPDATE2: If i just use a plain profile with NO animations, the lockup does not happen, even with the capslock toggle LED.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I opened up a support ticket with Corsair, and even after updating my BIOS and chipset, cleaning registry, and reinstalling the software again the problem still persists. After searching through the forums I have only found ONE person with a similar issue with the Capslock key, including freezing when loading or using programs. I haven't been able to pin point the latter, but the only thing really left to troubleshoot is if the firmware itself was installed incorrectly and is faulty. Is there any way to get an older version of the firmware or uninstall/reinstall it entirely?

The issue has been solved!

Downloading an earlier version of the firmware has fixed this issue for me, if you are having the same issue I recommend using 1.13 for now.

Actually, after using it for a while the issue started to happen again. It was just placebo I suppose, as it just wasn't being consistent. Still not fix.

Well damn, me too, but what I noticed for me at least, the keys take a longer time to lock up if i just hold down one of the "lock keys" whereas if I did the same on 1.15 it would freeze almost instantly.

I have the same issue with my k70, I have noticed when moving my keyboard over to occupy my 2 usb 3.0 ports I no longer have this issue. any idea why this would make a difference? figured I'd throw it out there since its helped me.

this worked with both 1.13 and 1.15 firmware versions.

So I have no idea if this information will help whatsoever but here are some more findings.

Doing the test of holding the "lock" keys does not freeze the lighting effects if CUE is running in the foreground, but once I minimize it to the system tray, doing the exact same test freezes the lighting.

Not sure what to do with this information but it was a simple observation.

I was able to reproduce the issue by repeatedly mashing all the lock keys, using 1 USB 3.0 port.

what about using two? ive been running non stop for 3 days now with no hangups, previously any of my 2.0 ports would have locked up within 20 mins tops. again, reason and rational thought would indicate this wouldnt help...yet here I am. figured i'd share since it's been such a frustrating bug to deal with. not everyone has a pair of 3.0 ports available, but hopefully it helps someone. also be sure you have installed your boards usb 3.0 drivers, my latest windows 8.1 win install didnt cover them for some reason and without them 2.0 devices dont function properly.

-EDIT- just mashed my lock keys for 60 seconds straight, enjoyed a light show....still functioning properly.

again my keyboard lights were locking up constantly for the previous and current firmware versions.

I've tried using one 3.0, two 3.0, and two 2.0 with all the same results :/

Corsair approved my RMA. So very tedious, it has to be a hardware issue because I've now tested it on 3 different machines with all the same result.

Theres some other weird quirks too, the likelyhood of the keyboard freezing seems to align with how intense the profiles are. For example, if I use a flat lighting profile it will never lock up. If I use a very simple reactive profile that just changes the colour and reverts back in a few seconds, i have to try really hard to get it to lock up. If it is more advanced such as strobe or full out animated effects, it will lock almost instantly.

Hey guys! So i had the same issue as everyone else with my K70 RGB freezing after using the Lock buttons and i think i may have the solution. I have unbound the capslock and numlock and its been 2 days with no freezing at all, i hope this help someone else with this issue!

Hey guys! So i had the same issue as everyone else with my K70 RGB freezing after using the Lock buttons and i think i may have the solution. I have unbound the caps lock and num lock and its been 2 days with no freezing at all, i hope this help someone else with this issue!

Frag

Hey guys! So i had the same issue as everyone else with my K70 RGB freezing after using the Lock buttons and i think i may have the solution. I have unbound the capslock and numlock and its been 2 days with no freezing at all, i hope this help someone else with this issue!

i did this and confirm it fixes the problem... just deal with not having caps lock....

worked till i ran far cry 4. then froze again. keyboared still works to play game but have to unplug replug usb 3 to get working lighting again. think ill just make profile for games. no animations/effects. :(

I have the same issue with my k70, I have noticed when moving my keyboard over to occupy my 2 usb 3.0 ports I no longer have this issue. any idea why this would make a difference? figured I'd throw it out there since its helped me.

this worked with both 1.13 and 1.15 firmware versions.

seems to work... until i run far cry 4

so i have a kind of workaround that seems to be fine so far. only using 1 usb 3 plug, i have my 'heat' profile that has some effects, i made a mode under 'heat' called 'fps' which just disables effects. so b4 play game activate fps mode, play far cry 4, close game , resume default 'heat'. effects work again without need of unpug/replug/restart keyboard, which is what i've been having to do when freezes, so with this method - no freeze so far.

gotta say but i love this keyboard as well as my m95 mouse

I've experience this problem just now. When I press numlock key, the light is freeze. Then I tried to reboot my pc, but the light still freeze. So I have to turn off my pc completely to make the light normal again.

best way turn off numkey aswell as caps lock.. use a profile with no effects while gaming as i mebtion above

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for the suggestion. I turned off caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock from being assigned a function. Anyone know if Corsair knows about this issue or is working on a fix? If not I'm probably looking to return the keyboard since its not functioning.

Archived