Corsair Community

Corsair SSD X32 = really poor performance

Hey all

I put together this custom build gaming station (specs below). I installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on my new 32GB Corsair SSD X32 and never worried about 35 second windows load times. I did however come across several discussion topics on other forums complaining about poor performance. So I tested and low and behold, really poor performance

I have tried

1) Changing SATA cable

2) Changing orientation of SSD drive to ensure cables aren't compressed

3) Tried different ones of the 6 x SATA ports on mobo

4) Taken off 2 x ASUS cd-roms

5) Changing to ACHI but BSOD'd and read you had to enable at windows install

Still I get around 90MB/s for read and 10MB/s for write. I hope you will admit that is crap! Tbh!

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8656/windows7standard.jpg

I paid over £100 for this thing hoping it would lead to awesome performance and now I am wondering if a 300GB Raptor would have been better.

Please help me. Hopefully I am doing something silly

I posted low performance numbers a few weeks ago here as well. All they offered was to RMA it.

I returned it and swapped for a competing brand with TRIM support out of the box.

Anyway if that's not an option for you then try the following:

- Free up more space. SSD don't like being full.

- Run wiper.exe (google for it) in admin mode.OR

- download CCleaner (free) and set it to wipe free space (use secure mode not fast).

Try benchmark again. If improved then you'd want to run one of those tools regularly until Corsair SSD's FW supports TRIM.

• Corsair Employee

I have answered you on another thread please do not create a bunch of posts, that will get you banned.

And please run ATTO on the disk and how is it connected what port and is it the Boot drive? Also how did you prepare the drive and was that a fresh install of the O.S. or did you image it from another drive?

By the way who is the pic on your desktop of? Very nice:::pirate::

And please run ATTO on the disk and how is it connected what port and is it the Boot drive? Also how did you prepare the drive and was that a fresh install of the O.S. or did you image it from another drive?

By the way who is the pic on your desktop of? Very nice:::pirate::

Answers below

1) I have run every single HD benchmark tool and all give similar results - around 90MB/s read and <10MB/s write - which I hope you will agree is crap!

2) Boot drive attached to SATA1 port of Asus Rampage 2 extreme mobo with latest BIOS

3) Fresh Win 7 install from upgrade dvd

4) I have changed to ACHI through BIOS with no results

5) That's Cheryl Cole :)

I have been given an RMA number from UK supplier now. I am a bit upset with level of response from this forum, given it's an official forum and I also haven't been given an RMA # from Corsair

I won't be buying Corsair products for my next build if I can help it

Thanks for your reply though

Answers below

1) I have run every single HD benchmark tool and all give similar results - around 90MB/s read and <10MB/s write - which I hope you will agree is crap!

2) Boot drive attached to SATA1 port of Asus Rampage 2 extreme mobo with latest BIOS

3) Fresh Win 7 install from upgrade dvd

4) I have changed to ACHI through BIOS with no results

5) That's Cheryl Cole :)

I have been given an RMA number from UK supplier now. I am a bit upset with level of response from this forum, given it's an official forum and I also haven't been given an RMA # from Corsair

I won't be buying Corsair products for my next build if I can help it

Thanks for your reply though

I hope you understand how childish your latest posts sounds. Every hardware manufacturer produce some samples of their product thats not working properly, no one is perfect. Either you did get a sample that doesnt work as it should, get it replace with a new X32 and you will probably notice a difference. If not, im willing to bet my left leg on that its probably something wrong with your mainboard or that its an human error causing this problem. If it was a general error with all the X32 disc's im pretty sure corsair would do something about it. And taking this incident over all corsairs hardware, not just SSD's because you got a faulty disc is just redicilous... If corsair sucked, they wouldnt be known as "top of the line" in this business.

Thanks for your time and sorry for OT.

Tony:

The first response was to the other poster, not you. As for his response, it was within 24 hours and followed standard troubleshooting procedures, so the reponse was within a normal timeframe and parameters. Keep in mind they're only on during standard business hours PST. RMA numbers are not given out on the forum, only through the RMA form or via email / phone. It would be too easy for people to get confused with RMA #s in posts.

huh?

The warning from Ram guy was for me?

I created 1 other post and admitted I got a reply. I then tried to help the guy with some suggestions. How is that creating multiple posts? This ain't my thread.

So helping forum users is not allowed? Just thought you guys have your hands full...

I hope you understand how childish your latest posts sounds. Every hardware manufacturer produce some samples of their product thats not working properly, no one is perfect. Either you did get a sample that doesnt work as it should, get it replace with a new X32 and you will probably notice a difference. If not, im willing to bet my left leg on that its probably something wrong with your mainboard or that its an human error causing this problem. If it was a general error with all the X32 disc's im pretty sure corsair would do something about it. And taking this incident over all corsairs hardware, not just SSD's because you got a faulty disc is just redicilous... If corsair sucked, they wouldnt be known as "top of the line" in this business.

Thanks for your time and sorry for OT.

Yes, yes, you are right. Sincere apologies. My frustration got the better of me but I will say my Corsair Doms are faulty too. One stick in 3 of the 6GB. I love Corsair, have done for ages. I wouldn't of even noticed poor performance really had I not seen other posts. Windows loads fine but then 40secs is bad for SSDs

Either way I am RMAing the SSD and sticks tomorrow. Should be back within a week hopefully. I am getting an X32 replacement

Just because I was asked to run it

C drive is the SSD (left ATTO) - poor I hope you will agree. Write speed is shocking!

D is my Spinpoint 7200rpm (right ATTO) - see? Just as good and four times less ££

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/4218/10636994.png

Ram guy, did you confuse me with the OP?

Why are you asking me to run ATTO? I returned my X32 already. Anyway I'm not offended. Was just bit taken back.

Anyway, TonyBennett,

Did you try to run those programs I suggested? Also did you perform the tweaks for SSDs like disable defrag, index, superfetch etc? They are important.

Even when you get your replacement drive you still need to perform the tweaks and housekeeping tasks like running wiper or cclean.

I am not bothered about running any programs like those tbh. I expect my SSD to have >200MB/s read without running anything. If it doesn't, I want a replacement. End of really.

If the X32 that comes back has the same problems then I know it's me, but I have changed wires, changed to ACHI etc

I am not bothered about running any programs like those tbh. I expect my SSD to have >200MB/s read without running anything. If it doesn't, I want a replacement. End of really.

If the X32 that comes back has the same problems then I know it's me, but I have changed wires, changed to ACHI etc

Since your 7200rpm disc seems to perform as it should i doubt that its your system thats causing the problems. Only thing i can think of in that case is if the sata drivers / firmware is having a hard time to handle till SSD wich to me sounds like one in a million.. My firmware @ my asus board for sata/raid is about a year old and i had no problems at all with my ssd's. Looking at your ATTO-result from the ssd-test you can clearly see that the performance seems to be in "Rollercoaster mode" when reading/writing the larger files, when i did the same test on my setup, all from 1gb up to 8 gb where almost identical ( Link to thread with my results )

• Corsair Employee

TonyBennett1982 Yes I agree but if you have the same problem with the new drive I would test it in another system, and how did you prepare the drive?

You did a quick format right?

And I would use another HDD to Boot the system and do the performance testing with the drive as a second drive.

I would suggest anyone who has this issue to do these steps.

1. Start your own Thread!

2. Use ATTO Disk Bench with the drive as a second drive so that the OS does not interfere with the test.

3. Use the Wiper utility or the GParted method to wipe the drive if you do have performance issues and only quick format the Drives.

4. If using a Raid configuration use 128k Cluster size for the Raid and 32k Allocation for the format for best performance.

5. Post the results and we wil do our best to help you.

TonyBennett1982 Yes I agree but if you have the same problem with the new drive I would test it in another system, and how did you prepare the drive?

You did a quick format right?

And I would use another HDD to Boot the system and do the performance testing with the drive as a second drive.

Thanks RAM Guy. I did a full format when I prepared the drive. I have just this minute got an email from Scan in the UK saying both one stick of RAM and also the SSD tested faulty when they did their tests. I should be getting a replacement from them in the next few days and then, I expect, they'll be getting one from you :)

I will test the new SSD as a primary OS drive first and if I still get problems (prey I don't) then I will test as a secondary drive with Win7 on my Spinpoint.

Thanks for the help guys

• Corsair Employee

Windows installer will do a Quick format and if its Windows 7 it will set the partition allocation properly

I pulled 2-X32 Gig SSD Drives from invintory and did some tests with the drives so you can see how they should run.

The first image is of the two drives just formatted with 32K Allocation size as single drives.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6072&stc=1&d=1256936366

The second is the Drives setup in Raid, with the one on the left as just second drive and the one on the right as the boot drive in Raid with 128k Cluster size forthe Raid and 32K Allocation for the Quick format.

attachment.php?attachmentid=6068&stc=1&d=1256856229

X32Raid.jpg.960696e69f120ed54311829053319cbe.jpg

40123001_X32singeldrives.jpg.cc1670ba08fd534ac378cbf72f569b98.jpg

DO NOT DO A Full Format on any SSD!

What is the reason not doing a full format? I have a P256 and did a full format (Windows 7) what is wrong with the drive now? Is there anything you recommend me to do now? Still haven’t used the drive except full format, waiting for the TRIM firmware. Thank you.

Archived