Corsair Community

Low Profile DDR3 for MSI X79A-GD45?

Eysimir

Hello!

Short version:

Can I use CML16GX3M4A1600C9 on the MSI X79A-GD45 even though it's not on the compatibility list?

Longer version:

I'm building a new system with these components:

-Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45, socket 2011, 4 quad channel memory slots.

-CPU fan: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011, for socket 2011

-16 GB of memory.

The thing is that this combo fits only "low profile" memory modules. There is only one kind of low profile modules listed in the compatibility list for this motherboard (CML16GX3M4X1600C8). My question is weather I would be able to use a cheaper module like the CML16GX3M4A1600C9. If so, what are the drawbacks? If not, how come?

Thanx! /Anders

Thanx for your answer!

I got this answer from Corsair Technical Support:

"Both kits are fully compatible with your system. Please let us know if you have any other question. Thank you."

Can you explain briefly what benefit I will gain from choosing the CML16GX3M4X1600C8? Why would it be the better choise?

Is there really any noticable difference from using the CML16GX3M4A1600C9?

Cheers! /Anders

Well, I'm confused because of the use of the "dual" and "quad"-naming. This implies that there might be some difference other than speed between the different modules, like something that would make the CAS 9 modules non-suitable for a quad channel motherboard. Why call them "dual" or "quad" if they are compatible with any setup? This confuses me.

You say you would suggest the CAS 8 or any quad channel module as a better choice for this motherboard. Would they not be a better choice for any motherboard if it's simply a speed issue? I mean, it's obvious that a faster module is better. This makes me wonder if there's some other feature of the "quad" modules I don't know of yet, that really would make a big difference on this motherboard.

Since Corsair says the modules are compatible, what I really want to know is if there would be any significant performance drawback using the CAS 9 modules, (like if they would run in dual mode or something) or if they simply are a little slower than the CAS 8.

Thank you, and sorry for being so picky.

• Corsair Employee
We would not suggest or support mixing memory and that is what you would end up doing if you purchase two sets of modules, so it is best to get the memory that is made for and tested on the same platform.

I get your point, but I must consider the price too.

They are probably selling the CAS 9 as "double dual kits", which aren't matched, but could work. The uncertainty might be enough to convince me to buy the more expensive CAS 8 kit.

Thanks for you time!

I've been reading posts from different users who were having problems with CML16GX3M4X1600C8 and MSI X79 motherboards and I have decided to change my mind. After looking at the memory compatibility list for Intel Core i7 Extreme processors I returned my Corsair memories and went for Kingston KHX1600C9D3K4/16GX. Sorry to disappoint any Corsair fans, but I'm better off ensuring compatibility. I'm also sorry I can't give you any test results.

Cheers!

Archived