Corsair Community

Corsair cpu cables in a different psu?

AP1916

So, i have a seasonic prime ultra titanium 850w.

The problem with this psu is that the cpu cables are only 650mm, which is barely enough to stretch across the backplate of a 500D to the psu on the bottom.

There's warning labels all over the place that say things like "use only the cables that came with the psu!"

Can i just buy a longer cpu cable and not worry? Are all modular cables pretty much the same?

All modular cables are NOT the same. There's a reason you have that warning all over the place - the pinouts on the back of the PSU are not standardized and everyone does their own thing. Even different models from the same vendor - heck, even different wattages from the same PSU line - can have different pinouts.

If you are lucky, using the wrong cables will just not power on. That's because the PSU catches the miswiring and the short circuit protection kicks in. If you aren't lucky, things melt or you get magic blue smoke, resulting in dead components.

It's fine. I made it work. I just used a port closer to the top of the PSU which gave me the extra space I needed (Yes, I made sure the ports were for 12v cpu cables first).

The real question is can I control the magic blue smoke with icue?:biggrin:

Archived