Corsair Community

Format Utility?

Hello,

I have a 128GB Corsair SSD and I was wondering, is there a utility I can use to reformat the SSD back to its original state like there is for other brands? I'm just trying to get ready for Windows 7 and since I'll be doing a fresh install, I'd like to return my drive to as close to factory default as I can get it.

Thanks,

-Jeff

• Corsair Employee
There is no need for a utility, just when you go through the setup delete the partition that is on the HDD with the setup program then select the un-partitioned space and click next it will create the partition and format the drive for you.

• 5 weeks later...
Hello,

I have a 128GB Corsair SSD and I was wondering, is there a utility I can use to reformat the SSD back to its original state like there is for other brands? I'm just trying to get ready for Windows 7 and since I'll be doing a fresh install, I'd like to return my drive to as close to factory default as I can get it.

Thanks,

-Jeff

assuming you are presently using Vista...

on the Vista setup DVD, you can use the DISKPART utility to 'clean' the drive (wipe-out the partition table) (and optionally, overwrite every sector on the disk with zeroes)

to use DiskPart, boot your system from the Vista setup DVD

- on the Install Windows screen, press Next

- click on 'Repair your computer'

- on the 'System Recovery Options' dialog, select the appropriate drive and press Next

- then click on 'Command Prompt' (a command window will open)

(note: Shift-F10 can also be used to open a Command Console window, during the Vista installation process, instead of the Repair Console)

- in the command window, type DISKPART, press Enter

IF:

there are 2 or more disks installed on your system

THEN:

- type LIST DISK, press Enter (determine which drive you wish to clean/wipe-out)

- type SELECT DISK x, where 'x' is the drive number (not letter) to be cleaned, press Enter

ELSE:

- type SELECT DISK 0 (disk zero is the primary disk)

NEXT:

- type CLEAN, press Enter (should take only a few seconds to complete)

(or optionally, type CLEAN ALL to wipe-out the partition table AND zero all the sectors, which will probably take a while)

type EXIT at the DiskPart prompt, then EXIT again, from the command console

press the 'ShutDown' button on the System Recovery Options dialog

done!

IMPORTANT - if there is more than one disk installed on your system (including USB drives), then be very CAREFUL to SELECT the correct disk, before you type the CLEAN command. i recommend that ALL external (usb/firewire) drives be disconnected from your system, unless you wish to use DiskPart to view or modify those drives as well. DiskPart does not default to any particular drive, you must first SELECT the drive you wish to work with first.

TIP: in the DISKPART console, type HELP CLEAN for more info, or simply HELP for a list of supported commands

@techcafe

(who does full formats any way)

there have been reports that doing full formats noobs SSDs speeds (lower then an HDD speeds) and corsair/samsung do not have an tool as far as i know, only way is to RMA it get it replaced if you cant get it fixed

also may be recommended to not fill the drive to the point it runs out of space (keep 10-20gb free) or it may do the above

Full formats are not needed and it does not reset the SSD into an none free state like the SSD i can not speak off as that has an tool that uses the Trim command to erase free space, an windows Full format does not reset the HD to an blank state, all it does is completely fills the SSD so all cells need erasing, so it can make the SSD slower or brake it (top of this post)

only do Quick formats on SSDs (do not use CCleaner (its free not ad) on SSDs as well as that seems to have broke some SSds whent the Free space clean up has been performed)

just do an default install of windows vista delete the partition and click on free space and click next it make the partition (the adv options in windows vista install does an Quick format when you press it)

@techcafe

(who does full formats any way)

there have been reports that doing full formats noobs SSDs speeds... [snip]

also may be recommended to not fill the drive to the point it runs out of space (keep 10-20gb free) or it may do the above

Full formats are not needed and it does not reset the SSD into an none free state like the SSD i can not speak off... [snip]

only do Quick formats on SSDs... [snip]

just do an default install of windows vista delete the partition and click on free space and click next it make the partition (the adv options in windows vista install does an Quick format when you press it)

who said anything about 'formatting'?? not me. some of you don't like to READ it seems.

anyway, the OP was asking about restoring the drive to a factory-like state before he installs Windoze 7, so i merely suggested that he use diskpart to 'clean' the drive (wipe-out the partition table). i said nothing about formatting.

there have been reports that doing full formats noobs SSDs speeds (lower then an HDD speeds) and corsair/samsung do not have an tool as far as i know, only way is to RMA it get it replaced if you cant get it fixed
A low level erase will get it back to normal.

does the clean do that Writeing zeros to an SSD is unlikely to set each cell on the SSD to an erased state (norm need an wipe tools other SSD use or like what is used on the very Pricey SSD)

going to have an hunt around for that

maybe that tool does it

SUTIL tool as it is an low level tool should work on corsair drives as it is the same drive

HDDerase is an free one as well still

better to do this in pm as not allowed post names in here of other stuff

any way that is an problem no one has asked about yet so not be an big issue yet

@Goatbert

the corsair S128 as you got, install windows using the norm way of doing it, press adv > delete the partition > click on free space > click next/install

get the Internet working and download HD tune or HD tach and run the benchmark on it if its doing around 75-85MB/s all the time (mite peak up to 150MB/s but thats just empty space) your disk is fine and operating perfectly (make sure Vista or 7 has finished access the HDD when you perform the test as any thing reads or Writes will make this test results go low)

Archived