Corsair Community

4 128GB Corsair in RAID0 on ICH10R

Exillis

I just measured the performance of 4 Corsair SSD in RAID0 running off the motherboard controller (ICH10R chipset).

These drives are impressive (320MB/s write and 389MB/s read) and it appears I'm getting decent scalability on both read and write. The performance is very consistent. I'll buy a couple more to fill the remaining slots on the backplane. I think at that point I may need to go with a hardware RAID solution.

I'd like to measure peak CPU utilization across the test but it doesn't look like ATTO has that capability. Can anyone suggest another benchmarking tool?

435395241_ATTODiskBenchmark(Corsair).PNG.e3e4c7e59059999fb8dc319c1819e017.PNG

RAM GUY,

Do you know why the throughput spiked (and then stabilized!) torward the end of the HD Tune benchmark? I did not see this behavior in the ATTO benchmark. What is the cause of this behavior?

The average of the first phase is around 389MB/s, so it looks like these drives are capable of ~97MB/s.

Also, what is the burst rate? I can't believe I'm measuring over 1GB/s burst.

Looks like CPU peak is just below 4%. A hardware RAID controller would likely bring that down to 2%.

Check out the consistency...very nice. That is more important to me than a higher peak throughput.

• Corsair Employee
Do you know why the throughput spiked (and then stabilized!) torward the end of the HD Tune benchmark? I did not see this behavior in the ATTO benchmark. What is the cause of this behavior?

A: More than likely its just a bug or anomaly in the software. Test the drive with a few different application to get a better average.

Also, what is the burst rate? I can't believe I'm measuring over 1GB/s burst.

A: Burst rate is harder to calculate with a raid setup because the burst rate of the drives and what the controller can cache will all affect this.

Looks like CPU peak is just below 4%. A hardware RAID controller would likely bring that down to 2%

A: I would suspect that would change noticeably with the brand of controller you use but yes I would agree for the most part.

Check out the consistency...very nice. That is more important to me than a higher peak throughput

A: Agreed the consistent performance is what you should be looking at!

• 1 month later...

Archived