Corsair Community

DDR3 1866 Corsair dominator GT kit

AMDalltheway

Hi all. I have just purchased 2 kits of DDR3 1866 Dominator GT ram and have found it will only run at 1333. I have tried it at 1600/1866 and it doesnt boot into windows.

I had 2 previous sets of ram - 4x2gb kit of corsair dominator 1600 which ran at 1600 fine, and a 4x4gb kit of Dominator 1333 ram which also ran without issue.

I have the latest bios update on my mainboard and according to the manufacturers website it does support 1866 ram.

The system runs fine with 2x4gb running at 1866 at the memory timings specified by corsair - just cant run at those settings with 16gb...Wierd

I Would like someone if possible to shed some light on why I cant seem to run at 1866 or even 1600.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks for the info. At the moment I am running 8gb at 1866 with the corsair GT timings of 9-10-9-27 and it seems fine.

Any idea if there will ever be a bios update that will allow 16gb @1866 or is it simply the architecture of the cpu that wont work with that size and speed?

I cant understand how they can advertise a board as supporting 1866 (mine is a GA990FXA-UD7) - not a cheap board and has the current amd chipset. I cant help feeling that there has been a bit of underhanded mis description of these products.

Think about it for minute. OCing with 4 modules places 2 times the stress on the memory controller. Very few if any CPUs will OC as far with 4 modules as it will with 2 modules due to this doubled load.

Also, read the spex carefully of the MOBO. It will support OCing to 1866 on the memory and it will support 4 modules but, it does not say it can do both at the same time.

This is a bit dated now but the basics still apply.

Thanks for the link. It would appear I have been somewhat ignorant and have not fully understood the limitations of the memory controller - thanks. I now know not to buy double the amount of ram and to waste money and time trying to achieve someting which is not possible.#

I have noticed that my bios has many other memory timings. When running the timings stated on the DIMMs themselves is there anything else I can alter to get the best from my Dominator GTs?

Archived