Corsair Community

H60 Pump Noise for my new Cooler advice requested

Wulff

Hi there,

Since a few days in installed some new parts in my system including the H60 Cpu Cooler, Right from the start it has this noise coming from the pump block that exceeds my fans by far, On the first day i read something about a gentle tap then it went away but at the next reboot it was back again and now the tapping soesnt seem to help anymore, i also put the case on the side but still this sound is there. Only way to get it to stop making this noise is to add a Zalman fanmate2 to it, but then the speed of the pump is reduced to around 3300rpm with the FM2 on highest instead of the around 4200-4400 it is normally. I have to say that i dont like this. Before this 1 i had a Coolit eco alc and never had this problem. What is the right way for me to solve this problem? temp wise its all good here so thats not the issue but i would like it to run at the full speed without this bad noise coming from the pump. I made a short youtube video from wich i hope you can hear it as well.

Thanx in advance for any advice or perhaps even RMA instructions. if it will be an RMA is it possible to go to the store here in my city from wich i bought it instead of sending it to you? that would be the quickest (and cheapest) solution for me i think

Link to the youtube video with the noise of the pump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaz2nhNZ3xE

Regards from Holland: Wulff

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thanx for ur reply, Yeah i read that post as well before making this one, but i might wanna overclock the cpu till around 4.5 ghz and then im a bit worried that this lower rpm for the pump might not be 100% enough. also goin to try the nylon washers mod beginning next week but i highly doubt that will make any difference in the noise. And then again why would it be neccessary to lower the fan speed while it was ment to run at full rpm, thats like buying a car and not be able to use the 5th gear. No offense or whatever ofc :) i just want it to run as cool as possible and wiht the fan on full power the temps are a bit lower then on the lowered setting, wich is really quiet, thats true. but my cheap z*lman fanmate2 lowers the pump speed to like 3300 wich i read thats a good setting, but also see some post by a user saying he had silence at 98% speed :) so will wait what corsair say whats best to do. perhaps i will buy a more decent fan controller as well wich can adjust the speed in much smaller steps to see whats the maximum fan speed is before the noise comes back. Any of you have some suggestion for a 3.5 bay size fan controller perhaps?

I wish I could be of assistance but my H100's pump is the single loudest component of my system.

I'm not sure why or what's happening. My Carbide 500R has a slight vibration to it when pressing lightly. There seems to be a little vibration from the back of the motherboard around the CPU mount and the H100 pipes seem to carry quite a bit of vibration too. The pump feels strangely stable.

That was tested with all fans temporarily disabled and hard drives disconnected. There was a marked difference in noise when I disconnected the pump power momentarily.

Hope you figure something out for your situation!

@ Scott Summers,

No i wont do that either, and its not that i need a maxed out overclock or whatever, maybe wanna run my 2500k at like around 4300mhz thats all, but with the pump at 75% i have no idea if that would be ok for long term. atm im doing some very short prime95 tests of 15 mins each to cure in the as5 ( just wanted to see if it really would drop as ive read on some forums that a few times let the cpu heat for little while then turn system off and let it cool down would shorten the break in period. But.. i think i might order some mx-4 as i read more good recent stories on that then as5). to bad im not on the stock paste anymore cause i had a faulty mainboard wich i had to return to the sotre, and now this pump noise as well hehehe, never had problems like this with new hardware before. Last system ran for some years without any problem. this isnt even 1 week old :D.. *sigh* the good ol' days lol.

But with the pump at 75% my max for a core was 65, now on 100% it doesnt seem to go over 56. With all settings on stock so the turbo boost does overclock it to 4200mhz. but i have the case open atm, but still there is some difference for sure with the pump at 100%. Will wait for corsairs answer tomorrow and then decide on either to RMA or to buy a fan controller wich can lower the pump speed by less then 25% (fanmate2 sucks..lol)

Hey everybody,

I just registered just so I can post... I've read many threads regarding H60 noises as well as this one, so I decided not to start another thread about it, as we (Wulff and I) seems to share the same noise issue after watching his video. (no kidding, i uploaded one yesterday as well).

The noise on my H60 doesn't seem to go away whatsoever, I've tried tapping, tilting, and etc. None of them worked. The only thing I failed to try is to lower its pump speed. It's not that I do not want to do it, it's that my mobo has this limitation that I cannot alter the speed of a non-PWM device, which I believe the pump to be (with its 3-pin connector). I have no interest to get a fan controller just for troubleshooting purpose, either. As you can read in my PC spec, i got a SFF system, there's simply no space for me to add another fan controller anyway. So I came to the conclusion that lower the speed of the pump could be the resolution, but it's not my way. If the pump was going to work at a slightly lower speed, then I guess it's the company's responsibility to make it run at a lower speed out of the box...

From reading many threads in the past as well as this one here, I am almost certain that reducing pump speed is one of the resolutions, even tho it is not viable for me... I filed an RMA yesterday but did not really get an automated confirmation email, so I don't know if it went thru...I wish I have a better luck and run into another H60 that runs silently out of box.

p.s., here is my

for the noise. You have to turn up the volume, as I was using my cellphone to record :(

Thanks Wired.

No bad intentions on my part. I wasn't expecting an immediately response especially during the holidays. :-) It's just that it's a known issue and has been reported a few times in the past. I'm concerned for my CPU as much as Wulff is about his and hopefully it didn't come off the wrong way. ;-)

Hi, I have a brand new H80. Installed yesterday, was fine, quiet, #1.

This morning, damn loud buzzing noise....

gave the pump a few finger taps, went away.

quit the house for a few hours, came back, THE DAMN THING IS BUZZING AGAIN.

Now, I would just like to know what corsair plans to do about our brand new 100$ coolers that make this terrible buzzing noise after 2 days....

Do I rma it or what? I like this cooler and id like to keep it, but if it's built with a defective pump from the start, id rather go back to air cooling I guess..... or get an upgraded version with a good pump?

Hi kryogen,

If ur not overclocking it to the max atm i suggest you temporary use a fan controller to make the pump slow down until we got our answer by an official corsair staff member, i currently have a cheap zalm*n fanmate2 connected to it and then its dead silent. Hope someone will answer us soonish though. tomorrow i get my new case so would be cool if all is sorted out soon with either an rma or some good answers from corsair. Lucky this new define r3 case has a open space where the bracket for the h60is located so no need anymore for me to take the mb out to remove that bracket. thats the good news :) bad news is still this crazy sound it makes on full speed

• Corsair Employee
Lower down the rpm to around 3600-3800 rpm and see if the noise goes away but PLEASE make sure to keep an eye on the CPU temp and see if there are any changes. If none, run them at that lower rpm for about an hour and bring it back up after, if the noise remains then please by all means submit an RMA request. if lowering down the rpm did not fix the noise then submit an RMA right away.

I just want to chime in. I recently purchased an H60 on Cyber-Monday. I received it over the weekend, and installed it. It sounds actually WORSE than the OP's video.

The pump is LOUD. I seriously thought it was a fan going dead, until I stopped all the fans, and the only thing running is the pump. When I have all the fans spinning, the pump is still louder than all the fans! (3x 120mm fans @ 1700 rpm, and 2x 80mm fans @ 1200rpm).

The noise is actually driving me up the wall. Case is a Cooler Master 690. It's all buttoned-up.

CPU is a Q6600 @ 3.0GHz.

The temps are great, but the noise. THE NOISE! It's driving me crazy.

Well after picking up the new one i got from them, i installed it and was working fine, but after a very short period it started to make the same noise all over again... So im sorry to say that i have returned this as well and asked my money back. It seems there is some design flaw somewhere in the waterblock. so i gave up to try again. Perhaps i will buy 1 again when there is a newer version coming. Wanted to go for the H80 instead but read it has the same pump as the h60 so i didnt do that . Im back on air now :( (n*ctua NH-UP12 Se) At least its dead silent again now but i would have loved a h2o cooler. And its weird cause i had the coolit eco A.L.C before this one and never had a problem with it regarding noise or whatever. So i hope corsair/coolit will make a newer version in the near future and then i might buy 1 again. but for now im verry sorry to say that this one was not at all what i expected from it

Regards

I have not gotten any reply from corsair regarding cross shipping RMA, asked 3 times on tech mails.

I cannot send you back my cpu cooler unless I have a new one.

Can we cross ship RMA, or do I have to deal with NCIX?

Was the problem solved, or the new unit will be the same? I dont want to pay shipping fees and go through the hassle of RMA and installing the cooler if an updated version will come out in 3 months, id rather keep my noisy cooler for 3 months and exchange once when problem is fixed...

Is this problem being worked on?

So what do I do?

Archived