Corsair Community

Gigabyte EP45 DS3L and 2 x XMS2 2Gb

Pumphandle

I have a gigabyte EP45 DS3L motherboard with an E8400 processor.

I decided to upgrade to 4gb some time back so bought a second 2gb stick of XMS2 PC6400 CM2X2048-6400C5.

Started having stability issues and computer frequently blue screens. Checked the dump and it was given as NKTRAMP (sorry if i've spelled that wrong).

Looked this up and it said it was a memory issue. Using the default bios settings, i've run memtest on each stick individually in all slots and had no problems. It will run into problems with both sticks in though.

I've tried raising the voltage on the RAM from 1.8v in steps and 1.84 seems the most stable so far.

Any thoughts on what i can do to stabalise the system?

Thanks!

This is often the case when adding a second stick that did not come from a matched kit. Corsair takes the time to test and package memory in various kit sizes to be able to guarantee that they are matched.

You could try adding.2v to your NB voltage and take the DIMM voltage to 1.9v. If the system is still unstable even after adjusting the system voltages there may be nothing you can do to get two random sticks to play nice with each other.

If that turns out to be the case then it would be best to return the single stick and get a proper matched 4 gig dual channel kit. The only problem with that is that right now Corsair does not have any DDR3 kits that would run on that aging MB anymore. Unless you could find older stock somewhere

Are your two sticks different version numbers?

Thanks for the reply Peanutz94.

Must admit I didn't know that was the case. I'll give it a go though.

Can I just check, by NB voltage do you mean MCH voltage?

I'll check the version numbers this weekend but I'm fairly sure the sticks are the same version numbers.

Archived