Corsair Community

Tested Voltage vs SPD Voltage?

dc8flyer

My Ram went bad and it has been RMA'd. Looking at the Tech Spec's it mentions a tested Voltage of 1.65 and a SPD Voltage of 1.50. Could someone explain to me what these two voltages are?

The RAM itself is labled 1.65v and that is what I had it set to in BIOS.

http://www.corsair.com/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/triple-channel-intel-memory-upgrade-kits/cmt12gx3m6a1866c9.html

On the Tech Spec's section it lists a speed of 1333 for the 1.5v and 1866 for the 1.65v.

It may seem obvious to you but if I left it at 1.5v (setting for older memory and CPU Controller voltage) would I only get 1333 speed?

Does setting the voltage to 1.65v (overclocking the CPU memory controller) reduce the CPU life or push the memory controller beyond its limit?

I set XMP and had initially left it in Auto. There were on ocassion freezes and restarts so it was suggested on this board to set the voltage to 1.65v instead of Auto. That seemed to work for a while but then the restarts started to occure again but not as often.

I ran the W7 memory test, memtest, and the computers Pre-Boot Assessment and all would show memory failures that were becoming worse. Last memtest had over 1100 errors in 90 seconds.

My memory was setup like this in the end:

XMP

Manually set 1.65v

QPI and Uncore 200mv

There was one other setting set at 1.10v (memory controller?)

What was it labled?

Memory controller voltage should be between 1.35v and 1.45v depending on CPU.

Lets confirm thats what it is before you change that. At 1.10v that sounds like CPU voltage rather than memory controller.

It may seem obvious to you but if I left it at 1.5v (setting for older memory and CPU Controller voltage) would I only get 1333 speed?

Like wired stated the buss voltage has nothing to do with speed. But you may need the extra voltage to maintain stability especially at higher clock speeds.. This is why the XMP profile will set your voltage to 1.65v.

It may be just because your cpu wont overclock to 1866mhz too. I have not seen many 950's go much past 1600mhz. Trying to push a cpu too far will also produce errors in memtest if the memory controller cant handle the overclock. Something to keep in mind when you get your new set back

The IOH is 1.10v, the CPU voltage which I left alone.

If you are suggesting I tune down the 1866 memory to something closer to 1600, how would I do that.

As you can tell I know very little about making changes from stock settings.

Thanks

The IOH is 1.10v, the CPU voltage which I left alone.

If you are suggesting I tune down the 1866 memory to something closer to 1600, how would I do that.

As you can tell I know very little about making changes from stock settings.

Thanks

Well , i wasn't yet. At least until you have tried everything else. Did you find the memory controller voltage? And what was it set to?

If upping memory controller voltage does not help you can then drop the frequency down maybe 100mhz and retest.

Archived