Corsair Community

Is iCue right for me?

S4vant

Hi all, this seems like the right place to ask this, sorry in advance if I'm in the wrong spot.

The only Corsair items that I have in my build are the H100i V2 and the RM750i.

I use Corsair Link to manage the fan curves for these.

All of my RGB is handled thru my motherboard and ASUS AuraSync except for my peripherals which are all Logitech.

I currently use NZXT CAM to monitor system stats and provide OSD while in game.

So the question I have is if iCue is a good replacement for both Link, and CAM?

Does it have an OSD component?

I really don't need it to handle any of the RGB because its static.

Can I import my Corsair Link settings (custom fan curves, etc)?

How much of a resource hog is iCue compared to CAM?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I would suggest you keep the status quo. With your given hardware, I don't see any clear advantage to changing to iCUE. The interface is more modern and the graphing expanded, but the real winner in the upgrade are RGB devices like fans. The LED light on the H100i v2 is not in that group of beneficiaries. There are no additional controls for either your PSU or cooler not already in Link. NONE of your settings will transfer to iCUE.

To my surprise, I actually have less clashes with iCUE and Aura than I did previously with Link and Aura. Still, nothing is immune there and every now and then the Aura lighting service will be stuck on 13-15% CPU usage and causing problems. With Link, you can exit the program to prevent interference and the two devices will still do their thing. This is a little more touch and go with iCUE. Fan speeds should keep, your small LED on the pump will not. EVGA precision XOC has a long history of interfering with both iCUE and Link. I am not sure which is more problematic, but superficially it seems to be iCUE. That aside, I am surprised you don't use that for your OSD. CAM is a bit bulky and "quirky" at best. I never particularly appreciated it and I despised it for being a requirement to manage their coolers. iCUE does not have the kind of OSD you are looking for. It will display profile changes if needed.

CPU and memory usage? People get all bent out of shape over this. You have a 8700K. It doesn't make a lick of difference. Nevertheless, someone who is more concerned about this can probably tell you what you want to hear. Any program providing real time system wide data and graphing is going to use 2-4% of your CPU.

On the bright side, since Link and iCUE do not share the same space and were designed to run concurrently to cover legacy devices, you can install iCUE without removing Link. It will go to a different physical location and not alter your Link settings. Hate it? Uninstall iCUE and you are back to where you were. I would suggest setting Link not to run on start-up while using iCUE. It won't hurt, but is unnecessary.

@c-attack Thanks for the reply! Its funny that you mentioned EVGA Precision XOC and interference with Link. I'm had to downgrade to a lower version of Precision XOC because the newer versions want to connect with EVGA's AIO's which internally are similar to Corsairs, so it tries to take control of the H100i V2 as well.

I've tried EVGA's OSD, but I just didn't care for it. I may go back and give it a shot again though.

If iCUE installs and un-installs without affecting Link, I might give it a whirl to see if it suits me, but as you said, I gain no real advantage in controlling my meager 2 Corsair components. Hmmm...maybe I should get some ML140 Pro RGB's .........

@c-attack Thanks for the reply! Its funny that you mentioned EVGA Precision XOC and interference with Link. I'm had to downgrade to a lower version of Precision XOC because the newer versions want to connect with EVGA's AIO's which internally are similar to Corsairs, so it tries to take control of the H100i V2 as well.

I've tried EVGA's OSD, but I just didn't care for it. I may go back and give it a shot again though.

If iCUE installs and un-installs without affecting Link, I might give it a whirl to see if it suits me, but as you said, I gain no real advantage in controlling my meager 2 Corsair components. Hmmm...maybe I should get some ML140 Pro RGB's .........

You can install and then uninstall to see what you think. Moving forward, anything new will be in iCue as Link is either End of Life or really close to it.

As far as migrating fan curves, check out my YouTube series "iCue for the Link User"; there's a tool posted there for doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't use the iCUE software just yet. Far too many stability issues and given that it's still classed as in beta.

No, it's classed as full release. And 3.5 is pretty stable, overall.

If you are wondering then why the "beta team" in my tag ... the customer beta team is still doing testing with future releases of iCue.

A quick glance at the iCUE board would suggest otherwise.

You also have to keep in mind that the only people that EVER post are those with issues. No software is perfect, unfortunately, especially in the Windows enthusiast world where it's impossible to predict compatibility issues. Beyond that, a large number of posts are from folks that want particular functionality implemented differently. That's not a bug nor does it indicate a lack of stability.

As for full release? That's how it's classified by Corsair. CUE and Link are, AFAIK, end of life.

Archived