Corsair Community

H80i & H100i High Pitched Noise Solution!

VasVas

This is how I fixed the high pitched noise coming from my H80i;

First off, I am using the latest software 2.2.0 and firmware 1.0.4 that gave me this terrible high pitched noise.

By replacing the stock fans with a pair of performance SP120, I managed to completely get rid of the noise, the trick is; you have to use the included 7v fan voltage regulators that came with the SP120s.

http://s8.postimage.org/phdroh2b9/IMG_1604.jpg

The fans are now controlled by the H80i with speeds going from 800rpm to 1600rpm (which is more than enough to cool my 150W CPU), the cooler is now completely silent and I am able to control the fan speed without any problems.

I know this is not the perfect solution as I had to spend extra money on new fans for my brand new premium Corsair product but if you are inpatient like me and don't want to wait for a firmware that might fix the high pitched issue then this solution will completely remove unwanted noises from your H80i/H100i.

Hope this helps ;):

Oh great, makes sense, it increases the resistance and since the main difference between the shipped with the kit and SP fans is the amperage (0.36 and 0.25).

I was wondering when I will be able to use the SP120 I order at the same time as the H100i. I'm going to give a try and see if the lower speed is an issue, until the fix is released.

I made a post about this a couple of weeks ago. Its the only way your going to be able to control the sp120 fan speeds. Unfortunately fan speed changes take forever compared to them being hooked up to the motherboard or the stock sp120l that came with the h80i/h100i.

Lets hope fro a fix so that we may use the whole working rpm range and not limited to the lower rpms.

Lets hope fro a fix so that we may use the whole working rpm range and not limited to the lower rpms.

Even if a fix comes out, I'd be to scared to flash my unit:sigh!:

Now it works perfectly, I going to leave it like this.. I don't really need more than 1600rpm at max fan speed, the speeds I am getting now are ideal for my system:biggrin:. My 3970x overclocked to 4ghz never goes above 60c.

I have tested the difference in temp between 1600rpm max and 2500rpm without the adapter, only 3c at load.. Not worth the noise imo.

For me it fixed the fan noise issue and the temperatures don't go higher so it's all good. It's much more silent now, good catch!

So now I won't touch firmware or logiciel update until I'm sure I can put back the latest RSTe driver for my Rampage IV Extreme, this is all I want.

I have tested the difference in temp between 1600rpm max and 2500rpm without the adapter, only 3c at load.. Not worth the noise imo.

With push pull setup ive only seen a max 4c difference between 600 rpm to 2300 rpm.

Now if pump speed would make another couple degree diference might trade off the loud while gaming. (cant hear it anyway lol)

On my H100i, I replaced the stock fans with Noctua NF-F12 pwm controlled fans and plugged them with the included y-connector into the second cpu fan header of my Asus Sabertooth X79 board. I then control the speed through the Asus AI software instead of installing the Link software. This is to avoid the Intel RSTe conflict causing bsod's.

Does work with SP120, those are what I've got.

SP stand for static pressure and AF for air flow. For a watercooling radiator, you need static pressure.

I'm running the following custom profile and it's working fine and as quiet as my Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 I had prior to the H100i (my two 680 do more noise, so I hear them the most in game).

25 600
30 800
35 1100
40 1800
45 2400

Of course the fans don't go higher than 1600 cause of the fan regulators but anyway the pump temp (used for the custom fan profile) don't go higher than 41, the proc itself is at about 69-72°c on prime95, 65°c on BF3.

SP stand for static pressure and AF for air flow. For a watercooling radiator, you need static pressure.

I'm running the following custom profile and it's working fine and as quiet as my Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 I had prior to the H100i (my two 680 do more noise, so I hear them the most in game).

25 600
30 800
35 1100
40 1800
45 2400

Of course the fans don't go higher than 1600 cause of the fan regulators but anyway the pump temp (used for the custom fan profile) don't go higher than 41, the proc itself is at about 69-72°c on prime95, 65°c on BF3.

Nice results!! SP120s & regulators with the Hydro i series is definitely the best combination :headbang:

Yeah, I'm pleased. I gained like 10°c in gaming temp and with higher overclock. I'm at 4.6Ghz right now (wasn't possible to get more than 4.4 with the noctua), I don't want to push more than 1.4v for daily use but I might try 5Ghz one day lol

I was kinda forced to get something else cause the GPU reactor wasn't fitting, but hell yeah! dat look, dat performance /win.

25 600
30 800
35 1100
40 1800
45 2400

My bad it does work, I had the settings to h100i temp instead of cpu temp. Switched it and works as it should.

With a 24-26c room temp I average out on the hottest core about 49-51c heavy BF3'ing. This is on a 2500k at 4.2 1.24v

If I could get full rpm use that might drop a degree.:o:

so this adapter you've shown, that's just a 7v adapter right? you'r saying i could use a Noctua Low Noise Adapter (7v) and my stock h80i fans wouldn't make what appears to be a high pitched gentle whine? ... or do i need to replace the stock fans AND use an adapter ?

i answered my own question using a pair of 'ultra low noise adapters' that came with some noctua fans i have.

The fans are not long making any whine! they are running at a max 1000rpm, and i can lower the RPM in Corsairlink2 if i so desire.

Naturally, i need more than 1k RPM to keep my i7920 @ 3.8ghz cool, so i'm going to try and find a second 7v resistor (found one already in spare parts box, along with the 2 x 5v)

okay so maybe i'm on crack.

I popped the 7v adapters on there, and i swear there's a high pitched whine again.

Or maybe it was just wishful thinking with the 2 x 5v adapters, and i didnt want to hear the whine? ;)

I'm going to have to enlist the wife's ear, she has hyperacusis and hears everything.

okay so maybe i'm on crack.

I popped the 7v adapters on there, and i swear there's a high pitched whine again.

Or maybe it was just wishful thinking with the 2 x 5v adapters, and i didnt want to hear the whine? ;)

I'm going to have to enlist the wife's ear, she has hyperacusis and hears everything.

I didn't test the adapter with different fans other than the SP120s & stock fans. When I tested the adapter with the fans that came with my unit, the high pitched noise was still there. With the SP120s, my H80i was completely noiseless.

The noctua is probably running at a higher amperage which could create the noise.

I didn't test the adapter with different fans other than the SP120s & stock fans. When I tested the adapter with the fans that came with my unit, the high pitched noise was still there. With the SP120s, my H80i was completely noiseless.

The noctua is probably running at a higher amperage which could create the noise.

You mean the Noctua resistor cable is set to allow a higher amperage through it?

You mean the Noctua resistor cable is set to allow a higher amperage through it?

IMO, the fan itself is operating at a different amperage, the SP120 High Performance power draw is 0.18A, combined with the fan 7v regulator it makes a perfect combination for the H80i/H100i for a noiseless operation.

These are my idle temps running two SP120s performance at low speed with the 7v adapter.

Will upload my load temps as well a bit later today.

http://s14.postimage.org/51bj7yh25/Screenshot_3.jpg' alt='Screenshot_3.jpg'>

Archived