Corsair Community

AX750 shutdown problems

mwpowellhtx

Hello,

I've recently been experiencing shutdowns under increased loading. Under "casual" usage, some browsers, maybe an internet-enabled application or three, things run fine, all day long in fact. I've had the machine since 2012/2013 when I first built it; for the most part been pretty happy with overall performance. Feel free to check out my system specs for any questions concerning what I've got loaded.

However, I start a session of Arma 3 under moderate to increased loading, especially harder on video card, sometimes also network card, and suddenly I started experiencing crashes.

Computer will go down, black screen, no signal (HDMI). Presumably going into shutdown/restart/safety mode.

I've been running for a couple of years since I've built the machine just fine, no worries, including Arma 3. Until the past month or so it seems like and I would experience a spurious behavior along these lines.

However, on Sunday the line has been crossed it seems; I experienced 5-6 such shutdowns over the course of the day, so methinks the p/s is getting progressively worse and worse. I must do something about it, diagnose etc.

I reviewed my Event Viewer for errors, and I do have an error 41. Sensitive bits snipped.

Assuming it is indeed p/s, can someone recommend a decent upgrade path? I'm also nervous to proceed with a next upgrade, adding another hard drive, especially assuming this is a p/s issue. I don't want to add to the load until that is addressed.

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 8/15/2017 10:00:37 PM

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

Level: Critical

Keywords: (2)

User: SYSTEM

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-08-16T02:00:37.415626300Z" />

<EventRecordID>774839</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Well, I will also add, I'm reading from other threads that the AX series has a 7 year warranty, so at least that decision was a good one on my part. I purchased it within that time period for sure, would have been 2012/2013 time frame that I built my machine, but I do not recall precisely the date. Still sad, but I want to get this addressed as hassle free as possible and/or get set on an upgrade path from 750W to something even a bit beefier, like 850W or even 1000W.

• Corsair Employee
I purchased it within that time period for sure, would have been 2012/2013 time frame that I built my machine, but I do not recall precisely the date. Still sad, but I want to get this addressed as hassle free as possible and/or get set on an upgrade path from 750W to something even a bit beefier, like 850W or even 1000W.

Sad? Maybe a little disappointing, but you got a solid 5 years out of the PSU. If you bought a cheaper unit, it may not have even lasted this long.

As for getting an upgrade: Why would you be entitled to that? 750W is already more than enough power for your build as it is.

Also.. problem may not be PSU after all. Keep in mind, your log says: "This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." You're focusing on the latter most cause.

Typically when I have random reboots, 9 out of 10 times it's actually a RAM issue. If you have other RAM or multiple sticks that will allow you to take some sticks out and run on less memory, we can see if the reboots go away.

Also make sure you do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2621246/how-to-resolve-automatic-restarts-problem-when-windows-7-experiences-a

I appreciate the follow up helping to troubleshoot this issue.

Sad? Maybe a little disappointing, but you got a solid 5 years out of the PSU. If you bought a cheaper unit, it may not have even lasted this long.

May be true, but I fail to see how this is constructive to my situation.

As for getting an upgrade: Why would you be entitled to that? 750W is already more than enough power for your build as it is.

First of all, are you speaking in behalf of Corsair? Second of all, "entitled"? Excuse me?! Even notwithstanding the 7-10 year warranty extension for more recent models, my unit is 4-5 years into its 7 year warranty. So, yes; at minimum, I expect to be on a forward trajectory migration path. Even if that's costing me the simple difference in order to be on that path. I would not expect to be issued a refurb unit only to discover it fails in 6 months, for instance, for what may well be a known issue to Corsair, if not also consumer knowledge. Of course, warranties are only as good as the company's ability and/or willingness to back it up. But that's Corsair's rep to deal with, not mine, thank you very much.

As for my machine's PSU budget, well, I figured this is/was probably more than adequate for my machine, which was why I purchased it in the first place. I wanted something beefy enough that I wouldn't be pressed if/when I upgraded component parts, which there have been one or two along the way.

Also... problem may not be PSU after all. Keep in mind, your log says: "This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." You're focusing on the latter most cause.

True. This is an information gathering process for me at first before deciding what I should really be doing. As such, is not the only resource I am tapping in order to gather details.

Typically when I have random reboots, 9 out of 10 times it's actually a RAM issue. If you have other RAM or multiple sticks that will allow you to take some sticks out and run on less memory, we can see if the reboots go away.

Well, at the moment I do not have any extra sticks of RAM just laying around; but I can look into running a memory test to at least probe the issue a bit further.

I am also not completely ruling out the app(s) that are pushing my system into this condition; which themselves have a track record of being horribly, if at all, optimized. "Optimization" is a kind word for their lack of performance, historically speaking.

Duly noted and I will look into that during this process. Thank you.

So to begin with, good catch on this one, thank you. I'll at least uncheck whether to "Reboot automatically" and see what happens. Perhaps a BSOD happens that I can at least see what may be the issue, or what to look at more closely next.

• Corsair Employee

The "forward trajectory migration path" is up to the Corsair rep that handles your RMA.. if it comes to that.

Sorry if I come off a bit stand-offish. I'm a crotchety old man that probably shouldn't be dealing with end-users. That's why they hide me in the lab. I only occasionally get sucked into the forums and I often regret it. But too many times I have to look at one star reviews on Newegg and Amazon from people that feel that because the PSU died six years into use, is replaced with the same or equivalent product, that it's legit to complain that they didn't get upgrade in wattage and efficiency. It's like the first six years of service didn't matter and heaven forbid they posted a positive review while the PSU was working.

The Corsair warranty states that "An obsolete or discontinued product will be replaced with the same product if available. If Corsair is unable to replace your obsolete or discontinued product with the same product, Corsair will replace the obsolete or discontinued product, in its sole discretion, with a product having similar function and capacity."

Since the AX750 Gold is discontinued, you'll probably get an AX760 Platinum. If that's not available, you might get an AX860.

• Corsair Employee
So to begin with, good catch on this one, thank you. I'll at least uncheck whether to "Reboot automatically" and see what happens. Perhaps a BSOD happens that I can at least see what may be the issue, or what to look at more closely next.

Yep. If you do this and it's a BSOD instead of a restart... probably RAM.

The "forward trajectory migration path" is up to the Corsair rep that handles your RMA... if it comes to that.

Of course.

Sorry if I come off a bit stand-offish. I'm a crotchety old man that probably shouldn't be dealing with end-users. That's why they hide me in the lab. I only occasionally get sucked into the forums and I often regret it. But too many times I have to look at one star reviews on Newegg and Amazon from people that feel that because the PSU died six years into use, is replaced with the same or equivalent product, that it's legit to complain that they didn't get upgrade in wattage and efficiency. It's like the first six years of service didn't matter and heaven forbid they posted a positive review while the PSU was working.

The world didn't start today, I get it; but I'm facing an issue that is clear and present. Not six years ago. To be fair, I've been around the block a time or three myself, so I know and understand the difference.

The Corsair warranty states that "An obsolete or discontinued product will be replaced with the same product if available. If Corsair is unable to replace your obsolete or discontinued product with the same product, Corsair will replace the obsolete or discontinued product, in its sole discretion, with a product having similar function and capacity."

Since the AX750 Gold is discontinued, you'll probably get an AX760 Platinum. If that's not available, you might get an AX860.

Fair enough, that's perfectly reasonable, really.

I'll conduct a couple of tests later today / over the weekend, and see what else I can learn now that "errors" are not "automatically restarting." I suspect it may be something memory related, we'll see what else we can learn.

Thanks for the timely response!

What I know thus far:

* Turned "Restart automatically" off from my system settings, and no proper BSOD or anything (Blue Screen of Death). Still Black Screen of Death.

* Scheduled a memory test for next startup. That ran this morning. No memory errors detected.

At this point it's starting to look like one of two possibilities. An increasingly overheated video card / panic situation. Or a true failing PSU. Doubtful it's anything like m/b since memory test passed.

Next, I'm going to upgrade my video drivers and see if that improves anything. And double check that something hasn't been overclocking my video card without me knowing.

• Corsair Employee

Though it's not 100% certain to be a PSU issue, there's enough evidence to suggest it is a possibility.

You should go ahead and start a service ticket for your PSU to get a warranty replacement. Keep in mind that you can ask for an advanced replacement so you don't have to be without your PC... but they will need a credit card number to hold a deposit on.

Well you mentioned it. Can you find that out?

Also, I tried to either login, which I could not; different credential? Or sign up / create an account, which I also could not, my user name, a fairly specific one, was already taken?

I don't recall having created an account, but I'm sure I probably did when I purchased the unit in the first place. But I don't recall my password. I want to reset my password or have an option to do so.

Archived