New case, screwed. Will not fit. help!

chunders

Just picked up the following.

CORSAIR 460x RGB

CORSAIR h110i

ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING*

i7-8700k

16gb 2x8gb Trident RGB Series DDR4 3000

The h110i will not fit top mount. I could barely squeeze it in with the motherboard there, but there was absolutely NO way the fan were going to mount on it. Any ideas what I can do?

H100i v2 work? Should I get the 570x?:mad:

There is no way to top mount a 280mm radiator in either 460x or 570x. The width is an issue on both. You must front mount the 280mm as intake on the front panel. You can try and mount it behind the 3x120 RGB with or without the 140mm intended fans in behind.

No guarantee a 240mm will fit on top in the 460x either. RAM, heatsink, and top ATX power plugs becomes limiting factors. It is possible with low profiles items, but I think it looks a bit top heavy in this position. I think your RAM height ~42mm is going to exclude this anyway. There are lots of photos out there for this arrangement. The 240 is more clearly defined front mount behind the upper pair of 120's and it would make sense to use another pair for push-pull support.

There is no way to top mount a 280mm radiator in either 460x or 570x. The width is an issue on both. You must front mount the 280mm as intake on the front panel. You can try and mount it behind the 3x120 RGB with or without the 140mm intended fans in behind.

No guarantee a 240mm will fit on top in the 460x either. RAM, heatsink, and top ATX power plugs becomes limiting factors. It is possible with low profiles items, but I think it looks a bit top heavy in this position. I think your RAM height ~42mm is going to exclude this anyway. There are lots of photos out there for this arrangement. The 240 is more clearly defined front mount behind the upper pair of 120's and it would make sense to use another pair for push-pull support.

c-attack thanks for your response. I been reading a few things over the last 8 hours because I can't sleep, eyes are blood shot, and I must have a solution to my new computer haha.

So if I leave the front RGB fans as is, which is pulling in air. PUt the radiator right behind in, screwed into place. Then put the radiator supplied fans behind that, also blowing air in?

Wouldn't this cause a problem because the two sets of fans are controlled independently?

Lastly, if is there a specific liquid cooler you know will work with this 460? I just bought the 580x on hold, now I will have to cancel that for sure.

You can either 1) Just stick it behind the 3x120. The fans will not line up perfectly and it will not be as maximally efficient as using 2x140, but it should work. Someone recently did this and detailed it here, but I can't add to any long term issues.

Option 2 is put a set of 140's behind it. You set the 120's to a slow to moderate speed and leave them fixed. The 140's do all the real work. You won't need much speed from them either. Unclear whether you would be better off using fixed speed on it as well or just a really mild curve. You don't need much radiator fan speed for this combination. On both options there is the issue of some "baffling" or other air movement noise. I cannot comment further since I haven't done it, but it will move heat off the radiator and work.

Simplest option is a standard 240mm cooler like the H100i v2 that fits directly behind the top 2 120's. I would still use another pair of PWM 120mm fans behind the radiator to support the front RGB at slower speeds. Same as above but cleaner install and less baffling.

*** Key thing to know is the SP120 RGB fans on this case are 3 pin DC. You cannot power and control them from the pump like normal. This only means you need to use the motherboard and will be limited to its options. If you really wanted, a Commander Pro can bypass this issue, run from coolant temp and/or use a temp probe for fan controller. That is an additional expense and not necessary for day 1.

You can either 1) Just stick it behind the 3x120. The fans will not line up perfectly and it will not be as maximally efficient as using 2x140, but it should work. Someone recently did this and detailed it here, but I can't add to any long term issues.

Option 2 is put a set of 140's behind it. You set the 120's to a slow to moderate speed and leave them fixed. The 140's do all the real work. You won't need much speed from them either. Unclear whether you would be better off using fixed speed on it as well or just a really mild curve. You don't need much radiator fan speed for this combination. On both options there is the issue of some "baffling" or other air movement noise. I cannot comment further since I haven't done it, but it will move heat off the radiator and work.

Simplest option is a standard 240mm cooler like the H100i v2 that fits directly behind the top 2 120's. I would still use another pair of PWM 120mm fans behind the radiator to support the front RGB at slower speeds. Same as above but cleaner install and less baffling.

*** Key thing to know is the SP120 RGB fans on this case are 3 pin DC. You cannot power and control them from the pump like normal. This only means you need to use the motherboard and will be limited to its options. If you really wanted, a Commander Pro can bypass this issue, run from coolant temp and/or use a temp probe for fan controller. That is an additional expense and not necessary for day 1.

c-attack, so I can do this

radiator fan - radiator - stock case 120. efficiency I dont mind right now.

option 2, 2x140 (discard the radiator fan), radiator, stock case 120.

option 3, return h110i and get h100v2. 2x120mm, radiator, 3 original case fan

to me option 1 sounds like I can do right away?

SP120RGB issue you mentioned, which I am not sure I fully understand just yet, is not related to this cooling. just in general correct?

Option 1 or 2 you can do right away. For mounting the 140's behind the radiator, you may need another set of 8 machine screws 6-32. You don't need special "computer screws". Anything from the local store will work, but length will be key.

Every AIO cooling kit I know of uses PWM for the onboard fan controller. It likely is physically necessary and standard DC voltage step downs are not practical. So yes, it is only because they are 3 pin DC fans you cannot plug them into the pump controller. Just use the motherboard like everyone else has done for the past 20 years. Long term, there are solutions to this.

The real key is whether or not you want the 280mm vs 240mm. In other circumstances, I would push you toward the 280mm so you can utilize low fans speeds. In this application, I am not sure that has merit and your temps are not likely to be different between the two in the arrangements we are discussing. Possible push-pull on the 240 will be quieter and more efficient than 3x120 shooting across the 280.

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I’m looking at front mounting a H115i over a H100i in a 460X with 1 LL120 on the bottom (below the AIO cooler) of the front along with a further 3 LL120’s whereby 2 would sit on the the top and 1 on the rear.

Is it possible to front mount the H115i on the front along with an independent LL140 independantt fan below?

Archived