Corsair Community

Corsair H75 with a 7700k getting hot. What temperatures do you get?

Eknels

Hello,

What kind of temperatures are you getting with H75 coolers running on a 7700k? I need comparison from users to see if I have a bad H75.

I have a Corsair Hydro H75 cooling a i7 7700k.

(Strix Z270G, Corsair 3000mhz DDR4)

My idle temperatures are between 32-33c and during gaming it peaks at 77-78c, once i even had 81c. (Room temperature is 21c)

I am running the CPU stock, with the turbo boost enabled up to 4.5ghz and my voltages never go over 1.21 at 4.5ghz.

Am i right thinking the temps are unnecessary high for a H75? taking to consideration this is not a stock cooler. I know it will not handle big OC's well, but this is normal usage which it should be able to cool easily?

I use Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste and have tried with an without washers for the loose backplate, with no difference. Also the pump runs at constant 100% and fans work like they should.

I even tested with the radiator outside of the case, but this only reduced 2 degrees on idle and peak.

:sigh!:

Also if someone has experienced similar problems, I would be glad to hear if there has been any solutions found.

Thank you!

:sunglasse

I'm having a similar issue with my H115i and my 6700k. At idle it's around 30-40c, and at full load its constantly around 85c.

I reseeded it and tried a bunch of stuff. Used rubbing alcohol and redid my thermal paste. It doesn't seem to be making it better.

Then something clicked on me that might fix both your problem and mine. I have a hard time explaining it so bare with me.

You know the bracket that goes in the back of the CPU behind the motherboard? Well it's kind of weird how the new plate works. When I installed my pump, the right side of the plate would be pushed in, and the other side is pushed out a bit, which would make the pump go on the CPU at a slight tilt. That COULD be just enough to cause the CPU to heat up at unusual temps. I might have to reseat the pump again and make sure this time all four standoffs will come forward more to allow me to screw in the pump a bit farther down.

Hmmmm..... Keep me updated.

I'm having a similar issue with my H115i and my 6700k. At idle it's around 30-40c, and at full load its constantly around 85c.

I reseeded it and tried a bunch of stuff. Used rubbing alcohol and redid my thermal paste. It doesn't seem to be making it better.

Then something clicked on me that might fix both your problem and mine. I have a hard time explaining it so bare with me.

You know the bracket that goes in the back of the CPU behind the motherboard? Well it's kind of weird how the new plate works. When I installed my pump, the right side of the plate would be pushed in, and the other side is pushed out a bit, which would make the pump go on the CPU at a slight tilt. That COULD be just enough to cause the CPU to heat up at unusual temps. I might have to reseat the pump again and make sure this time all four standoffs will come forward more to allow me to screw in the pump a bit farther down.

Thanks for the reply!

I have checked the back plate, and re-applied it 3 times with different pastes, and it seemed to be sitting correctly every time. Only difference was with the Noctua paste, that's when there was an actual difference in temperatures. But just to make sure it is sitting straight I will check it one more time tonight just to make sure.

I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks

Ok, i took the cooler off, cleaned everything properly.

Made very sure everything is seated and aligned properly. It was, like before. Also the paste was well and all over the CPU like it should.

This time i left the plastic washers off, which i had installed previously to get less backlash (looseness) off the back plate in order to get the water pump block tighter. Added Noctua paste. I tightened the nuts in a cross with my fingers until they were all the way down (not too tight or "tight enough" without washers that is :sigh!:)

Now i get 35c idle miminun in BIOS (as we speak i've got 37c in windows with only this browser window running. Tried a game and got up quickly to 80c this time. After 30 minutes i am expecting 83+.

With washers installed, it was not this bad.

Unfortunately I am forced to buy a new cooler.

The way the plastic backplate works with a Strix Z270G motherboard is ridiculous. It's just not right to be obligated to use some not included washers, to get a temp that is a few degrees less.

And Corsair isn't even recommending their consumers to use them on these boards.

I know 7700k users have got better temps with intel stock coolers compared to what i have now, and as it looks right now, I am uncomfortable in investing in a new Corsair cooler as i have read many users with bigger units like 80i, 110i and 115i are also experiencing exactly same kind of problems with the installation.

I just don't understand why a respected high quality brand like Corsair isn't giving any official instructions on situations like this. Or are they?

No offense here, just a consumer not getting it right :)

If someone has some comments, i'm glad to hear them.

Thank you.

Just a quick note.

Today i re-installed the bracket with thicker rubber washers, and tightened the pump a

little more than recommended (last quarter carefully with a screwdriver)

It appears the temps are now idling at 31c at the lowest, and mostly sitting at 67-68c with peaks up to 70c under stress.

This is a major improvement from the previous temps, and acceptable, taking in to account the small size of the radiator on a H75.

At least this confirms the washers work with my Z270G and the problem is not in the cooler itself, but in fact the back plate bracket which in my case appears not not tighten the pump unit well enough out of the box.

If you look on the internet, there is a lot of chat about the 7700K running hot, it appears that the thermal interface between the cpu and the heat spreader is not brilliant. People have de-lidded them and reported 10 to 20 degrees improvement.

In addition, it seems that some manufacturers are making their boards slightly thinner around the cpu mountings, that said I had no problem mounting my H110i GT on my Asus board.

If you look on the internet, there is a lot of chat about the 7700K running hot, it appears that the thermal interface between the cpu and the heat spreader is not brilliant. People have de-lidded them and reported 10 to 20 degrees improvement.

In addition, it seems that some manufacturers are making their boards slightly thinner around the cpu mountings, that said I had no problem mounting my H110i GT on my Asus board.

You are right, the 7700k is a hot CPU and this is the reason I started a thread to know what temps people are getting. Just being curious to compare.

I am aware the H75 is not generally enough for a 7700k but I have a mATX case and currently need to go with a 120mm cooler with this setup.

The 110i GT has a different kind of bracket and w/pump unit, and it's good to know that works well with your ASUS board, so I'll keep that in mind when i need to OC :)

Thanks

Archived