Corsair Community

460X and H115i (plus a few other questions)

huzidada

Hey guys/gals. So keeping it simple, slowly been buying hardware to build a PC. Bought the 460X case last week. Yesterday I got the H115 at an awesome price on Black Friday sale.

However I see the H115 comes with the 140mm fans, how much of a hassle would it be to run them with thee 3 SP120 RGB fans that come preinstalled on the case up front only. Especially since I have a 7700K(run a bit hot).

Or will I be better off exchanging it for the H100i ( its the same price normal as the H115i was on sale). Will it be a big difference in performance?

Another question, what would be the best way to connect 6 of the SP120 fans if my Mobo only as 4 Fan Plugs. Something that would also make cable management easier as Im already working with minimum space on this tight chassis

See below and there are certainly other threads as well were users offer more detail on this procedure.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172565

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172540

You don't need a one fan to one header ratio and very few motherboards can accommodate a typical 6 fans+ case. You could probably get away with running the front 3x120 SP-RGB on one header (0.90A total), but you could also put the top 2 on one splitter, top 2 front on one header, and the rear and extra front fan on another. Another option is to get a Corsair Commander Pro. This serves as dual purpose fan hub and controller as well as allowing you to interface the fans with the Link software. It can handle 6 fans (the SP-RGB). Any extra radiator fans could run from the H115i pump header and still be controllable through Link. This would provide software control for all fans plus allow you more lighting control. It does however take up a small amount of space and requires a SATA power connection.

See below and there are certainly other threads as well were users offer more detail on this procedure.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172565

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=172540

You don't need a one fan to one header ratio and very few motherboards can accommodate a typical 6 fans+ case. You could probably get away with running the front 3x120 SP-RGB on one header (0.90A total), but you could also put the top 2 on one splitter, top 2 front on one header, and the rear and extra front fan on another. Another option is to get a Corsair Commander Pro. This serves as dual purpose fan hub and controller as well as allowing you to interface the fans with the Link software. It can handle 6 fans (the SP-RGB). Any extra radiator fans could run from the H115i pump header and still be controllable through Link. This would provide software control for all fans plus allow you more lighting control. It does however take up a small amount of space and requires a SATA power connection.

Think Im gonna go with te Commander Pro..Actually added it to my cart earlier...

Hmmm so if I decide to use the H115 with stock front fans Id have to find my own screws? And will the case fans still line up in front perfectly or would it be slightly off due to the H115 mounting holes?

Maybe. There should be 8 long ~30mm screws in the H115i packaging. Those should work for securing the radiator around the outside of the SP120 RGB fans, but if you also need to stick the 140mm included fans on the back, you are probably going to need 8 more. Should be $1.50 USD at your local hardware store.

No, a 280mm radiator will not line up with the front 120x3. It will be wider and the fans will not fit flush with the side rails. This is why I suggest using 2 more 140mm fans (or any type) on the back side of the radiator. Those would then do the real work and the front would provide mild support.

Yes, you can bypass all of this by going down to a 240mm size radiator. That will fit flush with the front fans, makes a second set behind the radiator optional, and leaves the bottom 120 free to push air to the PSU or do nothing in particular. This would be my choice OR to try and wait it out another few weeks for the 360mm radiator for the front. There are also other 360mm radiators available elsewhere.

Here is another recent thread where it was discussed. Conversation picks up about half way through. Eventual image link to a front mounted 280. This person ran two mounting screws on this side and the radiator likely hangs over the fans on the interior. (no clear shot).

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/6dnH99

Im probably going to try my luck with the H115i and have a buddy that has the H100i V2...if it fails Ill swop with gim and he can score tge H115(the deal was good)

If I buy the Commander Pro does that mean I kose the ability to use my RGB buttons on the case to control RGB

I seem to remember the connection from RGB-6 port fan bub to Commander Pro uses the same port as the physical remote, so that would be one or the other. I can't really see a reason why you want to use the physical remote if you have software access, although the Link access is not as essential on the SP-RGB series as the HD and required for LL. I would get the C-Pro, if you want to desktop software fan control it offers.

Archived