Corsair Community

Force MP500 Not working with SSD Toolbox

scrosler

I just upgraded to a Corsair MP500 120 Gig and bought an Asus Z97-A/USB3.1 motherboard. This allowed me to keep my i7 4770k which is plenty fast for what I do. The SSD Toolbox and other utilities will not either secure erase or TRIM the drive. The SSD Toolbox will not even make an attempt to check for firmware update. And I cant have it auto over provision (Yes I know how to do it manually). I am using the latest build of SSD Toolbox (I downloaded it yesterday from the drives product page).

However Windows 10 Build 14393 will TRIM the drive without issue. Or at least it says it does, seems a bit quick to TRIM to me. I would like to see why the functionality is missing from the SSD Toolbox and other Utilities such as Parted Magic for Secure Erase.

The good news is... This drive is fast! Even at 2X PCIe lanes! Very happy with it!

Here is my entire box..

• Asus Z97-A/USB3.1 motherboard
  • Intel Core i7 4770K overclocked to 4.4 GHZ (tried at stock speeds too)
  • Corsair Carbide 200R Case
  • Corsair H100iGTX Water Cooler (yes, stuffed in the 200R!)
  • Corsair 750 Watt Modular Power Supply (forget the model but its only a year old)
  • Corsair MP500 120Gig as a boot drive
  • Nvidia Geforce 760 O/C Edition with 2 Gigs RAM
  • 16 Gigs of non-Corsair DDR3 Memory clocked 2100MHZ
  • Western Digital WD20EARX 2 TB Data Drive

Now here is a screenshot of the over provisioning page. As you can see its "not supported"

attachment.php?attachmentid=27878&stc=1&d=1487741709

What gives here? Could there be an NVMe drive I need to load. I looked the forum and came to understand Corsair does not have any special drivers so I dont think that is it.

The motherboard is at the latest BIOS version and has NVMe support which is turned on and recognizes the drive as such.

Any suggestions or a solid answer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2017-02-21.png.c0ec0983e93e168ae2eca14d05234788.png

Ahhh! That's good, I think. At least it's not a system issue and rather a software issue.

Just one thing, the product page advertised the functions I am missing as working. Copy and paste error by webdev?

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated!

You can take a look at Parted Magic for secure erasing the drive.

https://partedmagic.com/

Thank you for the suggestion but if you read my OP I have already tried Parted Magic. Its my go-to ISO for any drive related issue.

EDIT: I looked at the website and it now supports NVMe drives! Thanks a bunch for pointing this out! I am just so particular about my hardware and drives. I first learned of Secure Erase right here on the Corsair forums. I use it weekly along with back up software. My system always screams!

Thanks again!

Well thanks again for the info on Parted Magic. Didint know he upgraded to support NVMe. I have a copy I bought right when he went commercial, about 2 years ago and it certainly did not have NVMe support.

Right now I scrub with Parted Magic and restore with Aomei backupper and could not be any happier!

no fan around... i have a "be quiet" shadow rock 2 fan for my cpu (that i don't OC that much ~3,7 to 3,9 ghz) and just under the m2 slot is my gtx 1070 msi , maybe the twin frozer fan system is doing its job very well... my case is cooler master HAF XM , i just have a single m2 slot....

If not a secret, tell please, is there a fan blowing on your ssd?

In what M.2 slot (2_1, 2_2) have you installed it?

Because my MP500 500Gb is 10c hotter than yours in Idle.

Yes, mine is exactly 10 degrees hotter than his.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28017&stc=1&d=1488340369

2017-02-28.png.0b8dc45a881d5d95bdeb8db25435662a.png

Mine can go near 60c easy with a tiny bit of load.

In some tests, that i saw in the internet, these drives go above 100c with heavy load/stress tests.

On asus ROG forum there is a thread in witch people say about similar situations.

Although however samsung drives users report about far less temperatures, about 32-38c.

It would be a good idea for Corsair to release some kind of heatsink for those users, who are concern about their drive's health....and update the toolbox already.

i made a test tonight i played assetto corsa on my triple screen ( very high settings) the mp500 was at ~ 60°c after ~1h30 of online race...

maybe with a dedicated corsair firmware (instead of the w10 generic ) the mp 500 would be more efficiently used...

• 3 months later...

Yeap!

At least now I can confirm anytime, with the toolbox, that lazy corsair has still not updated the firmware. I don't believe, that there is nothing to fix or tweak.

P.S I have talked to cust.support in live chat about a dedicated driver for MP500, and they said, that will work hard to do their best and make that driver.

Cuz on windows 10 default driver, users get

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=166579

this error.

But I doubt soooooo much, that corsair will even bother...

Maybe we should make a thread or start a sign collection?

Archived