Corsair Community

So I've built a new PC, this is not by first but I have an issue which I'm yet to resolve.

Basically when the power is connected the RGBs on the Motherboard Flash once but then I'm unable to turn the PC on using the Power Button on the Front Panel.

Following successfully testing the PSU (Corsair VS650) using the Paperclip Test, I replaced the Motherboard. Same issue.

As the new Motherboard has RGBs I now know some power is present through the 24 pin ATX connector. :sigh!:

So I'm in a dilemma is it the PSU itself, or could it be the Power Button on the Corsair Case.

Can I bypass the Switch by inserting a jumper between the Power Switch pins of the Front Panel Pins??

Any help would be much appreciated :laughing:

A photo of the install would be helpful. It doesn't look like your motherboard has any kind of code or indicator for failure ... can you check your BIOS for beep codes?

Check that the RAM is fully seated. Check that the CPU_FAN is attached and functioning. Make sure that a monitor is attached to the system. Make sure that both the ATX 24-pin and the 8-pin CPU power connector are attached and solid.

I would suggest trying to boot with the bare minimum as well ... no LEDs (if you have any on the LED headers), no hard drive, no dGPU ... just RAM, CPU and power. Plug the monitor into the back of the case. If that works, work your way up from there.

And yes, you can short the pins for the power switch to manually turn the system on. A screwdriver on both pins will do the trick.

So this morning I striped everything back down and re-built it again, but with the same results.

When I turn the PSU power switch on the Motherboard LEDs flash once then nothing. If I hit the Power button on the Front Panel nothing happens. No Status LEDs on the Motherboard, no Fans start to spin, No Beeps, and No Audio.

Both ATX Power Cables are securely connected.

I've tried the minimum configuration as suggested No GPU, SDD, or USB. I've also used a screwdriver to bypass the Front Panel Power Switch.

So I'm thinking the ATX Power (8-PIN) could be the issue. As the same result occurs with both Motherboards.

If I power on without the 24-PIN ATX cable the Motherboard LEDs do not flash, indicating there is some power being distributed via that connection.

Plus the PaperClip Test works when the Green Wire is Grounded.

Sourcing another PSU to eliminate or prove my theory.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions?

The 24-pin ATX connections supplies +5V StandBy Power ... that's what you are seeing when the LEDs come on. And you cannot power on - at all - without the 24-pin ATX connection; not sure why you tried that.

It could also be memory. Have you tried with just one stick?

So I got my Multi-Meter out and tested the voltages of the ATX 8-Pin connector, which were spot on (11.95 volts).

Then reconnected both ATX Connectors and when powered on got the usual Flash of RGBs on the MB.

Ensuring all connectors were secure the Fans burst into life every time I wriggled the 24-pin ATX connector.

Looks like I have a loose connection within the ATX connector on the PSU side, as issue is with two Motherboards.

Steep and expensive learning curve! :roll:

• 3 weeks later...
So I got my Multi-Meter out and tested the voltages of the ATX 8-Pin connector, which were spot on (11.95 volts).

Then reconnected both ATX Connectors and when powered on got the usual Flash of RGBs on the MB.

Ensuring all connectors were secure the Fans burst into life every time I wriggled the 24-pin ATX connector.

Looks like I have a loose connection within the ATX connector on the PSU side, as issue is with two Motherboards.

Steep and expensive learning curve! :roll:

Hope that totally fixed the issue. A buddy of mine is having almost the same issue with RGB. We'll take a look at it right after we finished installing the new brake pads and truck shocks he ordered from 4WheelOnline for his RAM project. We'll take close at the connectors, especially the ATX.

Archived